Passat Weakness's

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
I'm really close to geting a 2012 Passat TDI but wanted to hear from owners what they disliked or considered a weekness in thier Passat.

Any negatives would be interesting to hear. Thanks!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I'm really close to geting a 2012 Passat TDI but wanted to hear from owners what they disliked or considered a weekness in thier Passat.

Any negatives would be interesting to hear. Thanks!
You mean WEAKNESS?

The biggest thing I that I have found is the WAIT for the color combination you want especially if you need to order.

So far the performance, features, convenience, handling are all awesome.

A minor things is that the RNS-510 is SLOW to react to touch, but once you get used to it it is not so bad. Also, I just do not like the Hanook tires on the 18" rims. The 18's are ok but the Hanook are NOISY. Good dry and wet traction/grip, but suck on ICE.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Great car so far, I'm quickly approaching 10,000 miles and the only minor problem I have is a slight rattle in the passenger door panel on super rough roads, but I'll get that cleared up in a few weeks when I go in for my 10,000 mile oil change. I don't see any weaknesses based on what I bought it for, depending on what you are looking for there might be glaring weaknesses?

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Thanks for all the comments and thanks for the link TDIATLAST!

Going for a test drive this weekend. Hopefully the wife likes it :)

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
Awesome car...far exceeded my expectations. In addition to the slow touch response times for the nav/Fender audio...VW get's points off for poor access to oil filter housing...too much other stuff in the way to remove dirty oil filter without making a mess. Plan on taking the car to local dealer for ongoing service. Awesome MPG...puts a smile on my face everytime I fill up.

The car is a BMW in a VW wrapper!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hey...I've not heard anyone comment about the awesome coin-holder in the hidden cubby, left of the steering column...

WHAT were they thinking???

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Hey...I've not heard anyone comment about the awesome coin-holder in the hidden cubby, left of the steering column...

WHAT were they thinking???
I know, took me a month to find that one, then the question is how in the heck do you get money out of there if you have anything else in the compartment as the coin slots are too deep on the hatch cover......What were they thinking:rolleyes:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I knew there was that compartment, at least it close so your stuff does NOT slide out when you accelerate like on the 05. I had not noticed anything for the coins. It is nice what they did for the lighter/power port area now without a real ashtray.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
The weakness is availability. I placed my order on 11/27. The dealer estimated 6 - 8 weeks for delivery; the latest estimate is 4/9, bu I doubt hat that estimate is accurate.

strongtm

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Black
I have a buzz in my left rear speaker that needs to be addressed. I also I am not happy with heat distribution in the car. Even with the heat all directed to the floor my legs freeze. Especially my knees and thighs. And the vents on the dash nearest the windows keeps blowing. I can't figure it out. I need to ask the group if anyone else has this issue. And I can rarely get the trunk to open with the remote. That could be user error. Lol. Those are my only complaints. I love the car otherwise.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
...Plan on taking the car to local dealer for ongoing service....
This is the biggest weakness for ANY VW, particularly a TDI. Keep your car away from the stealership, find a good "guru" in your area (even if it means driving several hours away) and you will be much better off.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Or...if you're lucky, find a dealership that has a real VW TDI tech. They are rare, but they do exist.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
That's not a coin holder. It's a Beretta Tomcat or a S&W360 PD holder. :D I found it right away. ;)
win, just effing win. I'm debating between the camry/sonata hybrids or the passat TDI stickshift. pretty sure ill end up with another TDI. just hate how expensive diesel has gotten! :mad: in europe it is $1.50 cheaper per gallon or about .30 euro cheaper per liter!

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
If you do a search in this section there are a couple threads comparing TDIs to the latest Kia & Hyundai hybrids. Probably even more if you do an advanced search and include all A5 & A6 sections.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
If you do a search in this section there are a couple threads comparing TDIs to the latest Kia & Hyundai hybrids. Probably even more if you do an advanced search and include all A5 & A6 sections.
here is motortrends comparison between the camry hybrid, sonata hybrid and Passat TDI

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rid_vs_2012_volkswagen_passat_tdi_comparison/

Good article about the factory in tennessee where they are built too

http://www.lazyenvironmentalist.com...-tdi-first-clean-diesel-car-built-in-america/

Niner

duplicate account, banned
sounds like normal VW - my MK4 is similar, you have to be real close to make it work
Hold the remote in your hand, under your chin, and press the button. You'll be amazed at the range increase when you do so.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
lol @ you guys and your remote range complaints. i remember where i park. i dont need my car to flash from 200 feet away, when i walk up to it is fine.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I ditto all of the above, and you can sleep in the back seat if you ever have to live in the car. It's huge.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Weaknesses

In the US, can't get 6 speed with Sunroof
In the US, can't get 6 speed with Leather
In the US, can't get 6 speed with Nav
In the US, leather has lame suede inserts. Guarantee they'll drop the suede offering in short order.
No HID option.
And for good measure, no timing chain!

VW will up the offerings for the US in the second and third model year. I've always hated this about VW. By that time, there should be more diesel choices on the market. Painful to see the option packages rolling off the assembly line and being shipped to Canada.

I'm not getting a Passat because I can't get what I want. Used MB W211 instead.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
win, just effing win. I'm debating between the camry/sonata hybrids or the passat TDI stickshift. pretty sure ill end up with another TDI. just hate how expensive diesel has gotten! :mad: in europe it is $1.50 cheaper per gallon or about .30 euro cheaper per liter!
Au contraire mon ami. Redo your math. Still much more expensive in Europe. Call it 1.45 euros per liter (event higher in UK and Scandinavia) 3.79 liters per gallon is 5.50 Euros per US gallon. Convert Euros to US dollars, 1 euro = 1.3148 US dollars or $7.23 per US gallon.

BTW, I also hate how expensive diesel has gotten.

STL TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual
In the US, can't get 6 speed with Sunroof
In the US, can't get 6 speed with Leather
In the US, can't get 6 speed with Nav
In the US, leather has lame suede inserts. Guarantee they'll drop the suede offering in short order.
I'll order a black on black one as soon as I can get the 6MT with sunroof and preferably full leather seats in stead of leatherette or leather/suede. The lack of a sunroof with the 6MT is frustrating, though. I'm surprised the packages didn't match the stepped packages in the Jetta. We'll just be a one TDI family until they come around.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Meh, sunroofs leak. One less thing to break, worry about opening or closing, or worry about leaking. VW is not good about bells and whistles not falling apart and breaking once out of warranty.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
Meh, sunroofs leak. One less thing to break, worry about opening or closing, or worry about leaking. VW is not good about bells and whistles not falling apart and breaking once out of warranty.
I with you when it comes to panoramic sunroofs. Never had an issue with the standard sunroof.