Passat W8 interior light w/ LED "ambiance" INSTALLED in A4 Golf

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
I just finished installing a nifty new item for the A4 Golf/Jetta:

This has illuminated switchgear and cool "ambiance" LEDs that cast a soft glow on the IP and center console.

You will need:

(1) light: 3B7 947 105 for cars w/o sunroof
3B7 947 106 for cars w/ sunroof
The color code is EN for grey, 92Y for beige

(1) connector: 3B0 972 706
(2) wires with lugs: 000 979 131 (you'll use both ends and discard the wire)
(4) butt connectors
(1) tap-in connector
six feet of 24 guage wire

I paid $54 for the non-sunroof lamp IIRC.

Instructions, at your own risk of course:

Remove ground connection at battery.

Remove current light by pulling lens off by its forward edge, (the edge near the windshield) removing the two phillips screws, and carefully prying it out -- it is held by plastic tabs on the sides.

Change the connector to the following pin-out:
1: 6 ft length of wire
2: unused
3: blue/grey
4: brown
5: red/blue
6: vacant

Remove the "third visor" and feed the wire out of the headliner towards the front of the car.

Now the "artful" part: use angled needle-nosed pliers or knife to make a shift-key-sized notch in the styrofoam brick so that the new connector will fit. Check this fit and you'll see what needs to be done.

The new lamp just clips in. Note that when the reading lamp buttons are pressed, the lamps are off. This is opposite of the standard lamp.

Run that long cable across the headliner and down the driver's side A-pillar, tucking it in as you go with a credit card. (I did not remove any trim.)

Then remove the trim panel at the fusebox (three somewhat fragile clips evenly spaced on its curved (rearward) edge. The dimmer switch can be carefully pried out with a small screwdriver, starting at its bottom edge.

Use a tap-in connector between the new wire and the grey/blue wire at the dimmer switch.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ted

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
mmmm, that looks nifty. are the ambient lighting LEDs red like in Audi, or are they blue like the gauges (white perhaps?).

[ August 24, 2002, 14:33: Message edited by: VeeDubTDI ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
You can source the non-moonroof through your VW dealer. Eventhough the non-moonroof W-8's aren't being sold here, you can source the part.

Impex sells the cover for $45.00, $10.00 less than the dealership. There aren't any in the US right now, and I have mine on order.

thanks Ted!

Lito

[ August 24, 2002, 20:50: Message edited by: tongsli ]

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
ETKA says that p/n is the same for W8 and the ordinary Passat. But there are two types. The F model and the non-F model. Anybody know the difference?

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Could you still run the wire down the A-pillar in a 2002 Jetta? Reason I ask is that there is an airbag there.
Also, can I get all the parts if I go to the local stealership parts department? Before I quit going over to the Vortex there was a lot of trouble getting the parts from a dealer and if the beige color would match. Are these still issues?

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
PTC and others - yes, I believe you need the "F" model, even though my invoice doesn't show it. The box, however, has 3B7 947 105 2EN on it.

This link is the inspiration, and is vaguely useful: http://www.passat3b.de/tips/18.html

I simply ran the wire up the A-pillar where it meets the glass and shoved it under with a credit card. The airbag is actually in the headliner by the grab handle; only a strap deploys from the A-pillar to hold the bag in place, at least that's my understanding of it.

I was really surprised that the dealer could get this, especially since it's a non-US item. (All US Passat W8s have sunroofs.)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Originally posted by Ted_Grozier:
This has illuminated switchgear and cool "ambiance" LEDs that cast a soft glow on the IP and center console.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Illuminated switchgear? Does that mean some of the icons are lit red whenever the headlights are on (all the time?). Just like the icons on the door lock switches, etc.

Ambiance LEDs? Are these the two red LEDs? And they are on all the time (when headlights are on?) or can you have them off even while driving at night?

thanks.

PS..I think I will wait for my install until I see Lito's "do it yourself" pictures!

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
This whole deal with this light is pretty confusing, at least to me. Since this is only for Passat W8s and for Passats with Protect body (which BTW I think is the reason you have the non-sunroof version) it is pretty badly documented in both ETKA and ELSA.
But here is what I think I found out:
1st, part numbers
3B7 947 105 F - version without sunroof
3B7 947 106 B - version with sunroof
Color codes are 2EN (please note, Ted made a typo in 1st message, it's not just EN) for perlgrau and 92Y for sonnenbeige.
The F and non F version "should" be the same from what I see, it's just that from MY03 only F version is used.
The B version is newer than A version, so I believe you should get the B, but definitely one with a letter.
Also, from my looking arround ETKA, I believe the right connector and pins are:
893 971 636 - connector - 6 pin
000 979 133 - wires
You can also get 000 979 133 A which is the same version but with golden connectors, since it costs the same according to my ETKA.
This connector and wires should be relatively inexpensive, so I'd like if someone who's going to install it tries this connector/wire combo.
All feedback is very appreciated.

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Yup, the pictures don't work...

Thanks PTC for the part number clarification.

The connector part numbers are exactly as I originally posted.

When the headlamps are on, the three switches and the LEDs are on, and dimmed in concert with the other dash lights.

You can't switch off the LEDs seperately, but they are not that bright and I never have the dimmer on full bore anyway. Often full dim is perfect if it's very dark out.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
I believe connector and wires you posted are very similar to what I posted, but according to ETKA I believe those numbers I posted are what's used in the W8.
If someone is going to put it in, that's all maybe a few bucks, and I'd be interested to know if they work (they should according to ETKA and my way of thinking).

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Originally posted by tongsli:
Ted,

Can you please clarify the correct wire connector?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ted posted a connector and wire part number which obviously works if he installed it, but from my going through the ETKA, I believe that the absolutely correct wires and connectors are the ones I posted, which are pretty similar to Ted's from what I have seen. So I guess that both combos should work, I just wanted if someone had a few extra bucks that he could risk to try out my wire/connector combo, to check if I figured it out correctly.

Magellan01

Veteran Member
Just got off the phone with the stealer. The one for sunroofs is only available right now in beige and only 4 of them are coming into the country with no ETA. So I need the grey one so I will have to wait. The only good news is that it only costs $51.60.

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Forgive my asking silly questions but is the connector part for six pins a plastic shell that might also fit into the the back of the A4 Golf/Bora panel light dimmer and headlight range adjustment assembly?

>>connector: 3B0 972 706<<

I have ecodes with adjusters I have been waiting to install but I'm not too keen on the idea of just popping the existing wires out of the three pin shell and clipping them onto the back of the new adjusters bare pins as some others have done.

Also could someone please post the part numbers for the panel for cars with sunroofs?
If there is no firm ETA for the four that might show up it might be faster to let Cullen Holm try to get them after he has finished his move from Europe to Santa Clara. He is supposed to be at his new job at ND by Sept. 2

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The connectors can be removed from the OEM housing and put into the new one. No clipping of wires necessary.

The part number is up at the top of this thead.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ted,

The professional way to do it is to get an extraction tool that has two very thin and narrowly spaced fingers. Looks almost like tweezers.

The cheap and easy way is to use the jewler's screw drivers.

Ted, keep in mind that most housings have a catch/lock or clip that first needs to be opened, removed or slid to the side.

After you have the "catch" out of the way, then you stick the little screw driver above and below the connector. The little tab needs to be pushed using the screw driver.

I've found that doing one side, then applying SLIGHT pressure on the wire and housing will "hold" the little tab on that side in place while you switch the screw driver to the other side.

usually, if you're lucky it will slide out after doing the second side.

DON't PULL too hard. you can also bend the tab backward and then the connector is ruined. Don't ask me now I know

That's the unscientific way to do it. If I get a chance tonight, I will post some pics. Don't know what the housing looks like, can you post some pics????

Lito

loujet

Veteran Member
I'm very glad to see this!!! I was in my friend's bmw 540 this week-end and I noticed those little led emitting ambient light.

Thanks for putting this on the site. I'll be ordering part for my '00 Jetta.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, after just one week, I got my Passat non sunroof cover. One week, not one month.

Chris, you get ONE guess as to where I sourced mine from.

Lito

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
>>The professional way to do it is to get an extraction tool that has two very thin and narrowly spaced fingers. Looks almost like tweezers.<<

I have found the best way to make a simple pin pusher that works every time and can be reused is to follow these simple steps.

Take a cotter pin that is roughly the same width as the opening in the connector housing for the correct removal tool and to gently grind or file the half round side of the cotter pin until it is flat and resembles a screwdriver blade. Do this far enough up the pin so that there is still a flatened edge remaining when the tool is fully inserted into the plastic housing.

The reason to get a close fit between the tool finger and the opening in the plastic housing is to keep the tool face centered on the spring locking tab on the removable pin.
Since most cotter pins have one side slightly longer than the other, grind the long one down until the ends are the same length.

To use your new tool first make sure the locking safety tab on the connector shell is released. It is there to positivly block rearward motion of the pins in the connector housing by physically locking out the area behind the inserted pin. Most safety tabs are moulded a bright contrasting color compaird to the connector housing except for the flat connector shells which usually have a tab that you unsnap and fold back.

To use your new tool, Simply insert it into the face of the connector shell until you feel it depress the locking tabs.

When this happens take a small thin screwdriver blade and place it between the fingers of your cotter pin tool onto the face of the contact fingers and push gently while still applying pressure to hold the tool firmly in place within the connector housing. This copies the action of the correct tool.

This will work better than attempting to pull the wires out from the back after inserting the tool because pulling on the wires moves the contact away from the tool and may allow the locking tabs to re engage the connector shell.

Once you have the connector pin free be sure to inspect the pin for damage and to adjust the gap on the locking fingers back out slightly. Since only Mil-Spec or aircraft certified pins have spring steel locking tabs the use of any removal tool on a VW connector pin will leave the locking tabs slightly flattened. As a matter of good business practice, you will want to adjust the tabs slightly outward to assure positive locking action when they are reinserted.

[ August 29, 2002, 20:59: Message edited by: Tyler Gee ]