Passat vs Ford Fusion

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I have the "pleasure" of driving a Ford Fusion rental this week. Car had 160 miles on it when I got in it last Sat. I'll have it for a full 7 days, but at day 4 I can tell you I am glad I bought the Passat instead of the Fusion!

2.5 liter 4banger: gutless (I'm in the rolling hills of CT)
Steering: vague
Headlights: dim
A pillars: in the way
Seats: Drivers side:not bad passengers seat: so low my wife can barely see over the dash (she's 5'5")
Paint: sparkles galore
Dash: LOTS of buttons! Nice color display
MPG: 29 (not bad)

OK looking and decent trunk space, but not even close to the performance or handling of the Passat.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have yet to drive the current version, but in the previous version the 2.5L was awful noisy (in the Mazda 6, too). I thought it had enough power, but it made such bad sounds when pushed I wasn't really wanting to drive it spirited.

I wonder how the 1.6L Ecoboost moves that car. That can at least be had with the proper number of pedals, so I have to at least tip my hat to Ford on that one.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, it is a cool looking car.... that they clearly stole from Aston. :p But at least it still looks good. At least Ford got something to remember their stewardship of the Brits.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, the Fusion is probably (from the front, anyway) the best looking car in current production. We engaged in our car selection process from February until July, when we bought the Passat. The two finishers (which were then both given a second test-drive) were the Passat and the Ford Fusion Hybrid (the regular Fusion we disqualified on grounds of inadequate fuel efficiency). The FFH is a very nice car, and by far the quietest of any car we drove. But a hybrid doesn't fit our driving patterns very well, and the Passat's larger back seat and huge trunk told heavily in our selection. Then there was the difference in price, which would have amounted to $4-5K.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I think the Fusion looks like a catfish from the front! In a good way I guess. :)

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Yes, the Fusion is probably (from the front, anyway) the best looking car in current production. We engaged in our car selection process from February until July, when we bought the Passat. The two finishers (which were then both given a second test-drive) were the Passat and the Ford Fusion Hybrid (the regular Fusion we disqualified on grounds of inadequate fuel efficiency). The FFH is a very nice car, and by far the quietest of any car we drove. But a hybrid doesn't fit our driving patterns very well, and the Passat's larger back seat and huge trunk told heavily in our selection. Then there was the difference in price, which would have amounted to $4-5K.
+1, wow I think I had written that, the only things I could add was that I wasn't impressed with the CVT on the Fusion, to me it was whiny and loud. I have a Ford 7.3 diesel so regular diesel engine noise is ingrained in my mind for sound. I also believe that I couldn't have attained the milage numbers the Fusion shows as I like to really drive sometimes, and the hybrid requires a real driving change to attain the mpg. I really like the Fusion look though, my wife wasn't quite as impressed. Like another poster here, I'd like to test drive the Ecoboost 2.0 to see how it does, and I thought they had a all wheel drive version as well?
But I'm ecstatic about the Passat, and the mpg is great even when I really drive it...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I liked the way the fusion looked, but I live just outside of Dearborn, Michigan which is Ford country. Fusions are absolutely everywhere. Didn't want to be just like everybody else.

Test drove the Fusion and was basically overwhelmed by the amount of buttons and stalks on the steering wheel. I felt that the My Touch system was simply "too much". I prefer the complete simplicity of my Passat SE.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
I think the Fusion looks like a catfish from the front! In a good way I guess. :)
My wife and I actually said Largemouth Bass! I am definitely not in love with the looks like others are. Whenever I see one from the front, I envision it swimming after a giant crank bait.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I had a 2013 Altima S rental. 225 miles driven, 38.3mpg average. I was very impressed with it. It drove well, had decent power, the engine/CVT programming was very good, and returned good FE. FWIW, my Passat on the same route and similar weather conditions averaged 48.5mpg. I have no regrets with my purchase, but I understand why the Altima sells 250k+ a year.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
With the more expensive Diesel fuel (about 20% more here) the cost per mile for fuel is about the same. Other factors may cause a different cost picture, but cost per mile of fuel is not one of them.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
My car is a '13 Passat and I rented a fusion this week. Very nice car with a lot of features but way smaller than the Passat, especially on the inside. I was surprised that it was considered a full size car. No comparison to the room in the Passat.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
My car is a '13 Passat and I rented a fusion this week. Very nice car with a lot of features but way smaller than the Passat, especially on the inside. I was surprised that it was considered a full size car. No comparison to the room in the Passat.
The good news: Passat feels much larger.
The bad news: Passat feels much larger.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is the truth. I'm coming from a GTI too. The Passat feels like it has a turning radius slightly less than the QE2.
It can all depend on just that- what you're coming from. Our older car (which we retained for a second vehicle, getting rid of the truck) is an '04 SAAB 9-5 wagon. Handling is similar, feels like a slightly better turning radius, and of course the Passat is tighter, because the SAAB has >150K miles.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
We chose the passat over the fusion due to the price in the end. We like the styling of the fusion, however i cannot stand that center display...i guess im old school and like buttons.

Both vehicles look good

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
This is the truth. I'm coming from a GTI too. The Passat feels like it has a turning radius slightly less than the QE2.
Funny I was thinking the same a a poster here, if you come from a smaller car it will seen larger and vice versa. I came from an F350 crew long bed(QE2's cousin) , and think my Passat turns on a dime, but I wanted a car that fit someone taller than a 6yr old in the back seat.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I have the "pleasure" of driving a Ford Fusion rental this week. Car had 160 miles on it when I got in it last Sat. I'll have it for a full 7 days, but at day 4 I can tell you I am glad I bought the Passat instead of the Fusion!

2.5 liter 4banger: gutless (I'm in the rolling hills of CT)
Steering: vague
Headlights: dim
A pillars: in the way
Seats: Drivers side:not bad passengers seat: so low my wife can barely see over the dash (she's 5'5")
Paint: sparkles galore
Dash: LOTS of buttons! Nice color display
MPG: 29 (not bad)

OK looking and decent trunk space, but not even close to the performance or handling of the Passat.
The fusion is the size of the Jetta.

An equal comparison is to compare the Passat to the new Taurus.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I've never heard the Fusion referred to as a full sized car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The fusion is the size of the Jetta.

An equal comparison is to compare the Passat to the new Taurus.
Judging from coworkers' company cars: The Passat has more back seat room and more comfortable passager seat than the new Taurus. I've not driven the Taurus, just ridden in both for extended periods. I spent the better part of a week in the rear seat of the Passat and the only complaint was that it needs a little more lumbar support in the seat back.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
"full size" was the rental car companies designation. I have also gotten a Passat from the same company and also categorized as full size.

We have a friend who owns a 2012 Taurus and it is way better than the Fusion IMO.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've pickep up a "full sized" Corolla in Toronto before. Canadian rental cars are classed different than US.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr

This is the awesome thing about highly subjective stuff like looks. I think the new Mazda 6 is the best LOOKING mid size 4dr out there myself, although it has some shortfalls in other areas. :D

As far as quiet goes...at least the normal fusions aren't knock your socks off wow quiet compared to other new cars. I don't know about the hybrid version, but since I strongly consider road and wind noise over drivetrain noise, should be the same. Seems like cars in general are getting better in that aspect. The cars that DO impress me with quietness are the current gen Chrysler 300's. Actually the whole car is a pretty nice package for the money they can be had for, but alas, it is a Chrysler product in the end which I am not a fan of.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As far as quiet goes...at least the normal fusions aren't knock your socks off wow quiet compared to other new cars. I don't know about the hybrid version, but since I strongly consider road and wind noise over drivetrain noise, should be the same. Seems like cars in general are getting better in that aspect. The cars that DO impress me with quietness are the current gen Chrysler 300's. Actually the whole car is a pretty nice package for the money they can be had for, but alas, it is a Chrysler product in the end which I am not a fan of.
I'm not sure what other car companies do about noise insulation but as you go up in the Honda trim lines, you get better insulation. I had a CR-V EX-L, so top with leather, and it was much quieter on the highway than my friends LX (base). Since Fusion hybrid is the top of the line, it may also have much better sound insulation to make one feel better about paying out all that money.

DmaxSmoke

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Going from Driving a 2500HD Duramax everyday to the Passat, it feels tiny and the economy on my commute is amazing (18-20mpg in the truck to 41-44mpg in the passat so far). I liked the looks of the older Fusions and the newer malibu but the interior space of the passat plus the TDI and 6MT was a winner. I considered the Jetta Sedan and the sportwagen, but w/ a family now the Passat fit the bill much better. I also don't own a single gas powered vehicle anymore which I consider a plus.

Also, the interior noise, while louder than I would like is not nearly as intrusive as a straight piped and tuned duramax on 315's.

bigguysf

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I just had 2013 Fusion as a loaner, now I am in a 2013 Passat. The seats in the fusion actually go lower, and I have more head room in the fusion. Which is weird, I thought the passat would be roomier, but for the driver the Fusion is.

I am 6'1, 380lbs so I am a big guy, and notice the space I am in pretty closely.

If the passat seat could lower a few inches more... it'd be great. If I had to choose between the two, even though I like the passat more, I fit in the fusion better.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
But a hybrid doesn't fit our driving patterns very well.
Kudos to you for recognizing this VERY important distinction sir. My cousin recently bought a Prius with the intent of driving his son up and down the East cost to play travel baseball for the next few years.

*facepalm* This is a technological mismatch for the application.

With the more expensive Diesel fuel (about 20% more here) the cost per mile for fuel is about the same. Other factors may cause a different cost picture, but cost per mile of fuel is not one of them.
I would like to address this a minute. For us, it was a consideration and did play heavily in our favor.

I needed a sedan that could comfortably seat 4 people over 6' tall. Occasionally for a long time (6 hour road trip).

Our criteria was:
1) Seat 4 people over 6' tall
2) Cost under $50k
3) Of the remaining group, pick the one with the best mileage (93 mile commute round trip)

Believe it or not, that left the Passat and a Cadillac DTS.

Since I am not old and nearly dead I picked the Passat TDI of course, but the Cadillac would have had to have gotten over 38 real mpg to be a wash in the total cost of ownership.

So in my book, the Fusion should NEVER be compared to the Passat - the Passat is a bigger car.

And for the record my 6'-3" son could not fit in the back of any of the sedans made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler - his head hit the roof on all of them.

But he did fit in the Passat.

So the only "full size" sedan that would be cheaper to own than my TDI would be one that delivered real world, every day, non hyper-miling 38 mpg every day. And this car does not exist.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Rented a new ecoboost fusion for work. While it moved well the rake of the windshield and fat pillars making seeing well harder. I don't really like the cockpit like dash. It juts out too far with too many shapes and futuristic curves taking up too much space. Passat dash is nice, simple, and out of the way.

bigguysf

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I like the dash of the passat way more than the fusion, but the seat in the passat, it just needs to go lower.