passat timing moves around 1996 1z

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
I bought a 'dead' passat. It was running, but advertised as 'needs engine rebuilt'.
I've had it since Dec.
I finally got VCDS and was checking the timing, it was 'too advanced to be displayed'

I set the timing on it, a '96 B4 1z passat, and while driving around in 1st...all of the sudden the engine (seemed) like it was going to run away on me, when i shifted to second...
then it recovered..

BUT!!
i noticed the timing on the VCDS went from 'slightly retarded, -- dead on!' to 'slightly advanced'...(exactly during this moment, cause my eyes were glued to the VCDS when it happened)

I was messing with the car for a few hours, and the timing didn't move from 'slightly retarded' for hours...
and after the semi-runaway(two, maybe three seconds)it was now in it's 'new' setting of slightly advanced...

smoke is coming from oil fill cap, i guess that's head gasket, rings, or cracked head?

There are NO codes being set. BK ecu.

Is this the 'crank nose ruined' scenario? or i guess i mean, is this sounding like the 'c.n.r.' scenario?

so i mark the crank, and the sprocket, and then run the car a bit, and see if the timing changes again?
when it does, check the marks?

or
what else should i check for?

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
soundsl ike you need to keep an eye on the crank sprocket for rotation.

you are already aware of the issue, so once you verify that its moving, (if it is) do not drive the car until you get it torn down to see how bad the damage is. it may only need a new crank pulley, and harmonic balancer. but be prepared to perhaps use one of those end mill tools to resurface the crank nose to give your new crank pulley a flat surface to mount to.

Best of luck.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The timing on my '98 would randomly jump from below the center line to above the top line. (Along with other issues)

The crank was fine. A different pump fixed the problem. Dunno what in the pump was bad. I had disassembled it and found no obvious problems.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
holy Prothe, Batman!

Is there anyway to tell if my IP is a Prothe pump?

I'll check the crank nose, and also scout for a new IP(replacement) just to throw rocks.

In the meantime, i'll do the 109 relay, and the n75...and change all my vacuum hoses......and i'll give the crank nose a good inspection...

Last edited: