Passat TDI rental cars?!

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I’m in Austin for work this week. Long story short, the clerk at the Advantage counter issued me a Passat for my rental. He mentioned that I had to be sure to put diesel in it, I did a double take and asked him what year car he was giving me, he said it was a 2014. I got to the garage and there were four Passat TDI’s lined up in the spaces, three SE and one SEL. My particular car is a 2014 SE with 61K miles, the decal under the hood said the fix was done 6/19/2019. I’m guessing one of the bean counters saw the opportunity for cheap cars with a good warranty. The only thing that bothers me is the rear tires on my rental are original, dated 23 week of 2014. The front tires have been replaced.

Anybody else seen this?

The funny part was when I went to the rental car after dinner and the key didn’t work. I was getting really pissed off, then realized that I was trying to use the key for my Passat instead of the proper rental key. I had both in my pocket :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I remember hearing that the NMS was picked up by larger rental chains when it hit the markets back in 2012, due to the size and interior space it gives the Camry a run for its money.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have rented two NMS gassers from Enterprise, NCS Jettas are also popular. The TDI part seems surprising, though, since rental places normally get cars new at a reduced bulk rate. I foresee lots and lots of misfueled cars.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
They used labelmakers to indicate diesel fuel only both inside and outside the filler cap, but yes I see misfueled cars in their future.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You may be the only person ever to look at tire date codes on a rental car. I used to half joke with a colleague about arriving at an airport and then driving at high speed on unfamiliar roads to an unknown destination, usually at night, in a car that you had no assurance was maintained properly or safe. But we survived.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
You may be the only person ever to look at tire date codes on a rental car. I used to half joke with a colleague about arriving at an airport and then driving at high speed on unfamiliar roads to an unknown destination, usually at night, in a car that you had no assurance was maintained properly or safe. But we survived.
I work as a safety consultant in auto service, so looking at date codes is in my wheelhouse. I was curious because the tires looked like the stock Continentals and they were.

As some who rents cars all over the country your joke certainly hits home :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reminds me of our trip to Iceland last September 18 (the week before the rental fleets swapped over to winter tires) up for 24 hrs and driving off in a Skoda Ovtavia "4x4". I swear Icelands corse corse pavement turns any 50K tire into a 5K tire (at best), luckily we made it safe over 1800 miles of driving.

Christan

TDI
none yet
I love traveling and usually, I like to rent a car to discover more places. So far I have had good experience with car rental. I think the best options can't be found on google though. For example, 3 months ago I have visited Kiev and I needed a car, of course. The prices I found online were extremely high so I started researching the matter on different platforms like Car Rental Kiev that were discussed on social media and forums. Of course, in the end, I found what I've been looking for that's why I suggest everyone to do their research, as it is not always on the surface.

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
The tire comments reminds me of a story a friend had about a rental in England last Sept. She rented a car to travel from London to Wales, and as she was driving off the lot she went over a curb that she didn't see and popped a front tire. When she looked closer, all four tires were way past the wear bars, with the fronts being near slicks. The rental company then replaced all four with new ones and sent her on her way a couple of hours later.

Yours
Vern

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
I had diesel VWs on Turo before... Not a great idea allowing the general public to borrow diesel cars.. Ask me how I know.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yes cause new model jetta and passat tsi offerings need only regular.