Passat TDI coolant drain

s3npai

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
So I have a blocked heater core, and need to drain all of the coolant. Is the easiest way to do so to just open the hose on the bottom of the radiator and drain it there? I would figure there would still be some trapped in the engine if this were the case. Any ideas?

steves96tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6sp, 2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5 sp, 2014 Passat SE 6sp VW Buy Back
You might check this out:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Take the connections loose at the firewall, then blow air through one and push anything in the core back out the other. Then place a big towel on the floor inside so the few drops left in there get collected in something when you take the pipes loose.

s3npai

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
You might check this out:

Heck yeah! Thanks! I had only ever opened the one on the lower rad itself and only got a cup or two out. Major disappointment.

s3npai

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Take the connections loose at the firewall, then blow air through one and push anything in the core back out the other. Then place a big towel on the floor inside so the few drops left in there get collected in something when you take the pipes loose.
Genius. Is there a secret to getting the two lines apart at the heater core. I attempted this once before and could not get them seperated to save my life. I tried using a flat blade screwdriver, but got nervous because it looked like it was chewing up the aluminum lines.