Passat TDI 2.0 performance

Adam TDI

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Prem TDI
So I recently bought a Passat TDI(2014 B7) and I’ve been looking into doing some performance mods to it. I wanted to know what I should do first and what company’s sell good parts. APR doesn’t offer much more than a tune as far as my car goes. The tune give me an additional 40 HP and 50lbs of Torque I believe. I’m not super knowledgeable about what mods do what, but I’m eager to learn.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Define "Passat 2.0" as that could mean two different platforms and three different engines, the latter two COMPLETELY different.

oilhammer

TDI
It’s a 2014 B7

NMS actually (Volkswagen does not sell the B7 Passats here).

But in any event, the question is how much tolerance do you have for warranty voiding? The engine is good for a good amount more but the turbocharger and the emissions control components of the exhaust system will be at odds with that in terms of durability. The CKRA engine's turbocharger was already a weak spot, so bad they extended the warranty on them. Post fix they'll only be worse.

Adam TDI

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Prem TDI
NMS actually (Volkswagen does not sell the B7 Passats here).
But in any event, the question is how much tolerance do you have for warranty voiding? The engine is good for a good amount more but the turbocharger and the emissions control components of the exhaust system will be at odds with that in terms of durability. The CKRA engine's turbocharger was already a weak spot, so bad they extended the warranty on them. Post fix they'll only be worse.
I’m already almost out of warranty, so I’m not too worried about voiding it. I’m in a pretty fortunate situation that allows me to get parts and work done for a pretty good price.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
From what I've heard from tuners they agree that car's turbo is a limiting factor. It seems they set that car up for great low rev response, given it's a big, relatively heavy car with a small engine. but dynos I've seen (tuned or not) show the engine is pretty much done making power at about 3800 RPM. I haven't seen larger turbo kits for the CKRA engine, but that and a tune would probably be first steps. And en emissions delete, of course.

oilhammer

TDI
And the CKRA uses a completely different turbo arrangement than the other CR TDIs, so it isn't like you could adapt one of those. Not sure how unique it is globally, but for us the CKRA is its own thing.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I believe the CR190 turbo bolts right up to these (tunemyeuro used to offer it and dyno'd 200hp/350tq). You'd just need the matching GTD turbo intake pipe and compressor outlet. Xman turbos offers a 56mm billet wheel version of the CR190 that would be great IMO. I'd stay away from APR for diesel stuff, not their target audience. Send an email to a few tuners asking how well the CR190 or hybrid version works on your car...they'll likely be able to give you some feedback. Malone, Kerma, Rocketchip just to name a few.
Also, manual or DSG gearbox? You'd definitely need an uprated clutch if you're manual.

Last edited:

Adam TDI

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Prem TDI
I believe the CR190 turbo bolts right up to these (tunemyeuro used to offer it and dyno'd 200hp/350tq). You'd just need the matching GTD turbo intake pipe and compressor outlet. Xman turbos offers a 56mm billet wheel version of the CR190 that would be great IMO. I'd stay away from APR for diesel stuff, not their target audience. Send an email to a few tuners asking how well the CR190 or hybrid version works on your car...they'll likely be able to give you some feedback. Malone, Kerma, Rocketchip just to name a few.
Also, manual or DSG gearbox? You'd definitely need an uprated clutch if you're manual.
I have a DSG. I found the CR190 but was having trouble finding the Xman. I’ll email the tuners and see what they say I can do with either turbo.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
He's on Facebook only for some reason, xman turbos. Good reputation, and personally that's the turbo I'd go with. Should get a little more out of it than stock CR190 and boost creep might be a little better with the larger compressor wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Adam TDI

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Prem TDI
He's on Facebook only for some reason, xman turbos. Good reputation, and personally that's the turbo I'd go with. Should get a little more out of it than stock CR190 and boost creep might be a little better with the larger compressor wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Found him on Facebook and messaged him about the turbo. If I install the turbo will the car still be daily driveable, or do you think it might cause me some issues?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's still a relatively small turbo. Should be great in a daily driver.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
If the actuator is setup correctly, should be plug and play and I believe I've seen here where at least one tuner had very good success with installing this turbo and not needing anything done other than some tuning to add power. You won't get any big increase with it alone, definitely need a good tune to match. Again, I'd reach out to a tuner with experience with this turbo on your motor just to feel better about it. It's been done though.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Would be best to pick up a VCDS cable and become familiar with data logging prior to any turbo changes, that way you're able to diagnose the vehicle if something goes wrong. Tuners won't be able to provide custom tunes without knowing how the engine is running.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It seems they set that car up for great low rev response, given it's a big, relatively heavy car with a small engine.
Sure its big, but no heavier than a Mk6 JSW or mk5 jetta sedan (~100-200lbs more). The NMS got a ton of pork cut off them.