Passat Replacement based cabin size?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Does anyone have any ideas what the fix will be yet? I wonder if they will ever sell those 2015's that were on the lot?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I did a ton of research when I was comparing all of the cars. The rear seat room in the Malibu is almost identical to the Passat. Legroom in the Passat is 39.1 inches, while the Malibu is 38.1. Headroom in the Passat is 37.8 inches and 37.5 inches in the in the Malibu. That's 97.5% and 99.2% respectively.
Did you sit in that back seat? I had a 2011 Malibu which was smaller than the Passat. Then GM made it even smaller in 2013 for Epsilon II. My sister has a 2016 Regal. Any mid-sized car would be fine if I wasn't 6'4" and needed the front seat all the way back.

The killer difference for me was the Passat's 18.5 gallon fuel tank versus the 13.0 gallon fuel tank of the Malibu. Coupled with far less mileage, that's a significant range difference.
I really appreciate the range of my Passat TDI. The farthest way from home I've driven it away is less than half a tank. However, I averaged filling up every 10 calendar days, 600-650 miles. Between work, errands, carting kids my time is valuable. I have owned vehicles with 250 mile tank ranges and hated stopping every 3-4 days. If I can get through 1 full week of commuting and school/weekend activities with my new car, I'm happy.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited (reminder: $28.5k, 12k miles): working on a 600 mile tank w/o really trying...38 mpg x 17 gallons.

Loving the car: torque will squeal the tires in 1st (ONLY gear...CVT...HAHA!) if not careful (no DSG lag!), Homelink WORKS from a distance, back-up camera NOW, Nav more complex, but quick, amenities galore, quiet as a tomb. With all the major highway construction, enjoying the more "floaty" suspension. HAHA!!! This car is smooth, smooth, smooth, elec/ICE integration is seamless.

Reliability? I just can't find any damning reports of 20-year-old Toyota hybrid technology, especially battery longevity. (Of course, now I'll get dumped on by some here with multiple links to scary stories!)

I know, I know...miss the diesel clatter, quicker steering response, 45-48mpg...don't miss the anxiety: turbo, heater core (already replaced), AdBlue (already replaced), electrical quirks.

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
Anybody looking at a e250 bluetec or 328d

message says it all, like the mpg of the e250 and the back seat doesn't seem too small, yes spoiled with the rear legroom of the Passat

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The 328d doesn't compare to the Passat in size, and the E250 Bluetec, while being a very nice car, is basically double the price of the Passat TDI, starting at $53,000 and having numerous additional options available. :eek:

I've heard good reports on both, and to be honest, I think these premium vehicles with high price tags are going to be the only way to get diesel engines in the future. High profit margins on the luxury brand with lots of options are the only way to disguise the ever-increasing costs of emissions systems and compliance.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
The 328d doesn't compare to the Passat in size, and the E250 Bluetec, while being a very nice car, is basically double the price of the Passat TDI, starting at $53,000 and having numerous additional options available. :eek:

I've heard good reports on both, and to be honest, I think these premium vehicles with high price tags are going to be the only way to get diesel engines in the future. High profit margins on the luxury brand with lots of options are the only way to disguise the ever-increasing costs of emissions systems and compliance.
On top of that, you think VW maintenance costs are expensive!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, I pulled the trigger today and bought a 2012 Audi Q5. Yeah, my mileage is going way down hill, but I was planning on moving back into a small SUV anyway. I decided to buy used and give VW 2-3 years to get back in the game. We'll see if they bring a TDI Tiguan finally, or even a hybrid version. In reality, my typical driving would probably fit a hybrid better, as I don't see a whole lot of long distance freeway cruising.

At least I'll still have great audio, as the Q5 has the B&O system. Dealer is doing all the scheduled maintenance and I'll pick it up tomorrow. The Passat will be parked until buyback time.

BCPassat

TDI
2013 Passat.
I skimmed the previous posts and did not see anyone consider a TSI Passat as a replacement.
The Accord and Mazda are two that I have looked at, but they don't have the size of the Passat.
The comments about the Avalon made me chuckle. My wife asked me how about Toyota, I said they were for old people. She reminded me that I'm almost 50!
None of the gas cars are going to give me the consistent 48-52 MPG that I get with the Passat.
When factoring cabin size, road handling etc the Passat comes out on top for me.
Mazda's warranty is appealing given I drive 30,000 miles per year.
Interested in all your opinions as to why or why not a TSI Passat.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I skimmed the previous posts and did not see anyone consider a TSI Passat as a replacement.
The Accord and Mazda are two that I have looked at, but they don't have the size of the Passat.
The comments about the Avalon made me chuckle. My wife asked me how about Toyota, I said they were for old people. She reminded me that I'm almost 50!
None of the gas cars are going to give me the consistent 48-52 MPG that I get with the Passat.
When factoring cabin size, road handling etc the Passat comes out on top for me.
Mazda's warranty is appealing given I drive 30,000 miles per year.
Interested in all your opinions as to why or why not a TSI Passat.
I resemble that remark!!! (Old joke, I think from the Three Stooges???)

The newer Avalon is remarkably different than previous models...

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
I resemble that remark!!! (Old joke, I think from the Three Stooges???)
The newer Avalon is remarkably different than previous models...
I agree. Add to the mix that those of us who bought the car when it came out that the competition has improved beyond where the Passat was when it launched which at the time was very competitive. The 6, Fusion, new Malibu and Sonata all drive really well. I guess people on here forget that the TDI is just a basic commuter/family car. It has not and never will be a sports car, it is just a decent driving car that gets great mpgs (nothing wrong with that). All variations on the mid-size commuter car theme. For me it comes down to space (rear space mostly behind my tall self), the best mpgs and as I wanted something different for a powertrain (just like when I went with the TDI) my choice is a Sonata plug in hybrid. They are a steal if you can find them, $39.8k MSRP down to $24k due to Hyundai dealer discount, rebates and Federal/State rebates. Closing the deal this afternoon, will be driving it by the weekend. Also, if I park my TDI until at least 12/1 and drive basically only one more tank I will just be under the mileage threshold to get another $400+ back on the TDI. Helps offset keeping insurance on it until the buyback and I still can use it for some commutes as they finish paving roads or for the first snow driving day of the year when people drive like idiots. The plug in portion will cost me more to run than if it was just a hybrid (electricity isn't cheap in MA, currently around $0.19 - $0.22 per kwh) but this is actually several thousand cheaper due to discounts. If RUG goes up even just $0.70 per gallon, it becomes a wash. Even if it stays stagnant, on paper it will cost just under $100 more per year (vs the Sonata hybrid) to run a good portion of my mileage silently. If my company finally puts in charging stations, even better.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
As to the Accord, in what area did that not have the size of the Passat? I bought a '16 Accord and it's practically identical to the Passat in length, width, height, weight, trunk space, fuel tank, etc. The trunk is 15.8cubic feet in the Accord and 15.9 in the Passat, and the fuel tank is 17.3 in the Accord and 18.5 in the Passat. The rest is pretty identical.

I didn't go with a Passat because 1). I'm disappointed in VW and how this was handled 2). I'm really mad about the 10 week disqualification window in which you could not total a VW that I fell into...so I don't want to give VW any more of my money, and 3). It would be hard to drive around essentially the SAME car, but get only ~70% of the mileage I had before. At least by going with a different make/model, it helps that mileage loss transition.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting: Avalon Hybrid, smaller trunk than NMS. However, since it's more square/deeper, I was able to get 3 large Costco Kirkland soft-side suitcases to fit very nicely, something I coulnd never do with the NMS. So...sometimes it's about the dimensions, not simply the volume!

mtbsteve

TDI
Interesting: Avalon Hybrid, smaller trunk than NMS. However, since it's more square/deeper, I was able to get 3 large Costco Kirkland soft-side suitcases to fit very nicely, something I coulnd never do with the NMS. So...sometimes it's about the dimensions, not simply the volume!
Absolutely. One thing that has been validated for me is the advice to sit in as many cars as possible to see what works. Numbers on a web page or video reviews by people who are a completely different body type only tell a part of the story. Also, mfgs don't use the same standards when measuring interior specs like leg room so you really can't compare. Some measure with the seat all the way forward or all the way back. At the very least, add the 2 numbers together to see what the total space is but you really need to try them out to really know.

BCPassat

TDI
2013 Passat.
As to the Accord, in what area did that not have the size of the Passat? I bought a '16 Accord and it's practically identical to the Passat in length, width, height, weight, trunk space, fuel tank, etc. The trunk is 15.8cubic feet in the Accord and 15.9 in the Passat, and the fuel tank is 17.3 in the Accord and 18.5 in the Passat. The rest is pretty identical.
I didn't go with a Passat because 1). I'm disappointed in VW and how this was handled 2). I'm really mad about the 10 week disqualification window in which you could not total a VW that I fell into...so I don't want to give VW any more of my money, and 3). It would be hard to drive around essentially the SAME car, but get only ~70% of the mileage I had before. At least by going with a different make/model, it helps that mileage loss transition.
At 6'4", the rear seat when sitting behind me has less legroom than the Passat. With three kids who inherited, the frequent 1.5 hour trips we do, I consider their comfort to an extent.
The Accord fuel tank is only slightly smaller than the Passat, but going from TDI to Gas makes a huge difference, will for the Passat mind you. I drive 750 to 800 miles per week, so love the range an infrequent fills of the TDI Passat.
Having said all that, I like the Accords. Are you happy with it.

I hear you on why not VW.

How has the Accord operating cost been compared to VW? As in maintenance etc.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another "flogging a 'dead' horse from "...that Avalon Hybrid guy..."

My wife just did a 900mile r/t, Ft. Worth to Corpus Christi, with about 100 miles in and around Corpus Christi. Much of the highway miles are 80-85mph.

Computer says 40.1mpg. Pencil and paper says 38.6mpg. (I'm gonna try to get it re-calibrated...not as easy as with VCDS)

Oh, and by the way, last night got caught crossing oncoming traffic, I punched it from about 5mph, tires broke loose. There's plenty of low-end torque.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
At 6'4", the rear seat when sitting behind me has less legroom than the Passat.
I looked this up and it seems the Passat has 39.1 inches of legroom and the Accord has 38.5 The Passat has 37.8 inches of headroom, while the Accord has 37.5. That's a very small difference, but it is a difference.

Accord fuel tank is only slightly smaller than the Passat, but going from TDI to Gas makes a huge difference, will for the Passat mind you. I drive 750 to 800 miles per week, so love the range an infrequent fills of the TDI Passat.
Oh yes, this I know. I miss my 700-800 mile fillips. My Accord is right around 500.

Having said all that, I like the Accords. Are you happy with it.
Yeah, I really do like it. It has a few things I don't love, but they are minor. Like fact that passenger front seat doesn't have height adjustment.

How has the Accord operating cost been compared to VW? As in maintenance etc.
Well, my Accord only has 1500 miles on it, so no maintenance yet. It was less costly for insurance. And thus far with gasoline, getting around 32MPG, compared to the 40 on average that I got with the Passat, my Accord is coming me about 6.9c per mile, and my Passat was 7.9c. But the Passat was over 52k miles, only time will tell on the Honda. Overall, the required maintenance appears much less on the Honda. I expect to save quite a bit of money on long term maintenance. But my Passat was trouble free over 52k, so outside of maintenance I don't really have anything to compare to.

csh1160

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6M
Thanks for everyone's input, I'm in the same boat. The buyback is too good to pass up and after having to replace a clutch at 63,000 miles I'm going to sellback my 2014 6M TDI.

However, has anyone thought of rebuying a newer TDI that has been sold back? Or has VW made any announcement that they will be reselling 2016+ TDIs once the fix approved?

I'm thinking that everybody and their brother are going to be dumping 2014/15 TDIs and if dealers fix them then there will be a huge glut of these cars, which I assume will be sold pretty cheap. Of course, my theory is dependent on the dealers wanting to resell the cars, and VW and the US Gov. allowing this to occur...

If this happens I'm planning on picking up a used 2015 automatic, because I love the car and the mileage, and there really isn't a replacement car out there -and yes Avalons are for old people (but I may consider one as a backup to this plan :)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^Look, you young (rude!) punk, go drive an Avalon Hybrid, and then tell us if it's "...for old people...":p It's hardly as if an NMS Passat is some sort of young person's "sporty" car...sheesh...

Any discussion of WHAT VAG/VWoA is going to do with the buyback cars is pure speculation. AFAIK, there has been no official statement regarding the disposition of the vehicles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's hardly as if an NMS Passat is some sort of young person's "sporty" car.
I don't love the Avalon, couldn't see myself in one, but I have to give you credit for the above. Among many long time VW fans the NMS Passat isn't a favorite.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(I don't LOVE the Avalon, either...[much prefer the NMS Passat]...but the difference, frankly, is just not that great!!!!)

Ebenke

TDI
'13 Passat TDI, SE, Sunroof, Nav
Right now a pre-owned 535i is on my short list. A clean lease return with warranty will be in the $35k range. A lot car for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Looking for a replacement for my wife's '13 Passat. It is her car so she is driving the search, but so far:

1) Drove a 2017 Accord - Nice car, good space, good drive train with the best CVT I've seen. Good tech equipment and driver's aids (she needs them!)

2) Drove a 2017 Fit and HRV - meh

3) Drove the VW Alltrack - Nice car, good power and ride. Seems smaller in the back than my 2016 Jetta Sport, which doesn't make sense. They had no models on the lot with the drivers assistance package :(

4) Drove a 2017 Tiguan - nice solid car, but lacking technology.

5) Drove the Mazda CX-5 - plenty of power and tech, but noisy and cheap feeling compared to the VWs and Honda

Currently waiting for the 2017 CRV to come out. She will also try a 2017 Golf, Hyundai Tucson, and ???

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
3) Drove the VW Alltrack - Nice car, good power and ride. Seems smaller in the back than my 2016 Jetta Sport, which doesn't make sense.
That's because the Jetta sedan is larger for the US market, whereas the wagon is based on the Golf.

Currently waiting for the 2017 CRV to come out. She will also try a 2017 Golf, Hyundai Tucson, and ???
If the Alltrack is too small, the Golf is a shorter Alltrack.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
If the Alltrack is too small, the Golf is a shorter Alltrack.
Oh, I agree with you, but my wife uses "alternative logic" when it comes to making decisions! :)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
4) Drove a 2017 Tiguan - nice solid car, but lacking technology.
Exactly why I bought a used Q5. Something to tide me over until the new Tiguan and/or Atlas are released. I want to give both a little time after release to get the bugs out, and hopefully get either a TDI or hybrid powerplant. The Q5 is a little larger than the Tiguan, which was my major issue with the 11 Tiguan I used to own. I think the 2018 Tiguan will be just right for me, and I expect it to have the latest technology. The current Tiguan is almost an embarrassment with its lack of bells and whistles.

mtbsteve

TDI
Loving (a very strong term for a PHEV) my Sonata Limited plug in hybrid so far. Even in an area with high electric rates it is working out well. Turns out the 27 miles of electric range is understated, usually can get 4-5 more if I am in stop and go traffic so this covers half of my commute. I can also choose when to use all EV or hybrid so can easily tune it to my expected traffic patterns to maximize mpgs. This helps offset the high ~$0.21 per kwh for electricity. Based on my commute where 45 mpgs is attainable without trouble in regular hybrid mode, even with cheap RUG around $2.25/gal my cost per mile is about =.

The drive style is a little different but the Sonata plug in feels quicker and is quieter and smoother. I am a much calmer driver in it. I drove the TDI the last 2 days, can only drive 1 more commute before turn in or else I could lose $400+ on buy back and was happy to get back in the Sonata. Ergonomically better and just a really nice car.

Oh, and because no one is buying them, it went from $39.7k MSRP down to $30k with dealer discounts and incentives. Then, take another $4919 for federal tax credit and $1500 from the state and I am at $24k for a brand new car with low maintenance costs and great warranty (lifetime hybrid battery to original owner) that is only $3.5k more than the buyback offer on my 2012 Passat TDI that I used for 5 years, 85k miles.