Passat Plant in TN to Unionize

Status
Not open for further replies.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
VW doesnt have 50 year legacy costs(pension and health) of the big three. They are confident new bennies can be managed until it's time to GTFO.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Well Democratic party is needing Union for election. That's all I can say. Whenever you are side, that is biggest contributor for them.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Volkswagen workers rejected the union by a vote of 712 to 626.

So much for that.

"If the union can't win [in Chattanooga], it can't win anywhere," said Steve Silvia, a economics and trade professor at American University who has studied labor unions.

Ouch.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Apparently VW is doing a good job of keeping their employees happy and treating them well. Good Job.

VW doesnt have 50 year legacy costs(pension and health) of the big three. They are confident new bennies can be managed until it's time to GTFO.
And apparently the only company that managed these costs in a sustainable fashion was Ford - congrats to them. Once the hood was open on GM's financial affairs I was completely disgusted with them. Filthy beggars.....

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
The important point here is that you have to differentiate between the tradtitional role of the UAW (as I gather from your posts, a sort of mobster extortion scheme) and the role that unions play in the world VW originates from.
The german Union 'IG Metall' and mainly the local (!) works council representatives try to work together in a cooperative way. This can even be used to moderate the workers and to keep them at bay, when the managers try to negotiate their plans with the works council. It is a give an take on both sides to get the most out of the negotiations without risking strikes or any other bad results.

That is why even VW wants to have a works council in their plant (too bad that local laws seems to allow that to happen only with UAW in da house) - and of course because of pressure from the 'General and Group Works Councils of Volkswagen AG' (worldwide works council). Even if visiting brothels in Brasil together went out of fashion in the late 2000s ;-).

Here you can see that many representatives of the work force are in the Supervisory Board:
http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/content/en/the_group/senior_management.html

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
VW must be paying enough, $15-$20 dollars an hour I just read a story in a Dallas paper. Or the scare tactics worked.

AJM

TDI
A6
Thank you goes out to all the VW Chattanooga Plant Employees who voted against organize labor unions. You are the reason why I purchased my Passat in the first place. German engineering with Tennessee Pride equals one great automobile. I can't wait for the new CrossBlue to be manufactured at the Chattanooga plant.

Dankeschon

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I worked under a Union for 3 months and hated it since it just encouraged laziness and sloth. There was no incentive to do anything and if you took the initiative, other people complained but wouldn't do the job themselves. As the new guy, despite having the most licensing possible with over 10 years prior experience, I was the low man on the totem pole. The plant manager would come down to the dungeon to ask my advice and direction on matters which made me feel good but I knew it was a dead end to stay there. He was a great guy with an impossible job but I was not sorry to leave.

A guy at my current work tried to get a Union to come talk to us but he was the only one who wanted to Unionize. He was finally let go for not doing his job and even then it took years of documentation, and he still sued and got benefits he wasn't due.

Unions had a place and time, but that is past.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When the plant first opened I read a news story that had workers complaining that VW was paying $12/hour. There was speculation on whether or not they'd be able to attract enough people at that pay rate. Did they change pay, or are the $15-$25/hour estimates above incorrect?

The vote was pretty close. Wonder why people voted the way they did.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It got politicized.
Ya think? What I wonder is what people listened to. Did they think the council would make things worse? Did they not want to pay dues? Does the UAW have a bad reputation in the plant for some reason? And given how close the vote is, does VW now have a bunch of disgruntled workers coming in every day?

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Ya think? What I wonder is what people listened to. Did they think the council would make things worse? Did they not want to pay dues? Does the UAW have a bad reputation in the plant for some reason? And given how close the vote is, does VW now have a bunch of disgruntled workers coming in every day?
There were stories from extreme news outlets stating that if the plant unionized, VW would seriously consider moving production of the new crossover due in 2016 to Mexico instead of expanding Chattanooga.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
There were stories from extreme news outlets stating that if the plant unionized, VW would seriously consider moving production of the new crossover due in 2016 to Mexico instead of expanding Chattanooga.
Maybe there should have been more coverage from the cheer leading media given the importance of donation dollars that would have been taken in as union dues.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
You listened to NPR, that's what is up with that. LOL

Bill
Ha! I figured I get flak for that!! One must be a student of both sides. And both sides annoy the cr@p out of me.

It amazed me that the liberal media would report on the margin being thinner than that reported in many other sources. And this was reported more than 12hrs after voting closed, so plenty of time to fact check. They even commented on how thin the 42vote margin was, so it was not just an aside to the story.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Ha! I figured I get flak for that!! One must be a student of both sides. And both sides annoy the cr@p out of me.

It amazed me that the liberal media would report on the margin being thinner than that reported in many other sources. And this was reported more than 12hrs after voting closed, so plenty of time to fact check. They even commented on how thin the 42vote margin was, so it was not just an aside to the story.
Liberals are very bad at math and I agree that you should consider many news sources in forming your opinion and they both annoy me too. I wonder what is the percentage of union dues that come out of a members check per month? Maybe there is some truth to the rumors that dzcad90 saw reported that they might shift their manufacturing base if union rep was approved? I can't for the life of me accept that VW had tacit approval of a union.I know I'm being boneheaded and uninformed but its hard for me to accept CFriedriszik's well thought out explanation.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Well from a mathematical stand point if 42 people less had voted no and if those same 42 people had voted yes instead then it would have been a tie. Yeah it is a bit of spin doctoring but technically it was correct. Though to be even more technical they would have needed 43 to switch their votes for a 1 vote margin.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Well from a mathematical stand point if 42 people less had voted no and if those same 42 people had voted yes instead then it would have been a tie. Yeah it is a bit of spin doctoring but technically it was correct. Though to be even more technical they would have needed 43 to switch their votes for a 1 vote margin.
Good call.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Actually, if 42 switched votes, it would be 670 against, 668 for. If 43 switched, it would be a 669 tie.

Anyway, never heard of volt results being described in terms of "how many needed to switch to change results". That would be some spinning indeed.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Actually, if 42 switched votes, it would be 670 against, 668 for. If 43 switched, it would be a 669 tie.

Anyway, never heard of volt results being described in terms of "how many needed to switch to change results". That would be some spinning indeed.
You got me there. Any how every time the talking heads talk about this years senate races they describe it as how many seats would need to change in order to change the majority.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I think this thread has run its course. We have TDI folks from both ends of the political spectrum that are very passionate about their cars, as well as their politics.

However, we try to keep this board on the topic of cars, not politics. Veterans will remember we tried having an off topic forum, but the battles of intellect were just too strong to keep contained and civil.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.