Passat or CC aluminum steering knuckles and LCA to save weight

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Hi, it’s not a problem on the front. Only on the rear. But it seems it’s a common issue since 3C0505433K and 434 it’s more likely 8 mm wider on each side.

but i cant figure out what wheelspecs i will have to run. I have 2 sets. Original Talladega 19 8x19 et 51
And 7.5x18 et 47 both of them sticks out approximately 20mm on each side.
You may need to switch to a 17x7 wheel with 45-50mm offset your get them to fit. Eibach and 034 Motorsport make rear control arm kits with adjustable camber as well.

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I didn’t even know you could do this. I got the superpro front control arm and ball joint kit for this reason and adjustable camber/caster.

salad

TDI
2011 JSW, 2012 Q7
The hat nuts come up as the nut for the tie rod ends. If doing just the lower control arms (2011 jsw) with the original knuckles, is the nut still necessary?

Just did the front springs\struts and lower control arm bushings looked pretty chewed up. Everything seems alright, so looking to just do lca before getting it aligned.

Save yourself some hassle... these are 60$ each on rockauto (SKP SK520470 and SK520469), and they come with the bushing and ball joint already installed (triple check the description as some are incorrectly listed as w/ and w/o balljoints):

(note: you will need to get 2 x wide-brimmed hat nuts (WHT000785) from a dealer as these come with the 'wrong' ones)

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
If you are not changing the knuckle there is no reason for hat nuts IMO. The Al knuckle has a pressed in steel insert and the washer part of the hat nut ensures the nut bears on both the aluminum and the steel so the insert can’t pop out.
If you are having trouble removing the tie rod ends try turning the steering wheel. Doing the work on jack stands probably means the wheel is full over where the tie rod can bind in the knuckle so you can’t tell it is free.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Older thread - hoping someone still monitors.

I recently ordered the Meyle equivalent of the VW 3C0407151E Lower Control Arm (Aluminum L/R same) to install on my 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen Tdi based on the parts listing in this thread.

When trying to align the three holes on the rear mounting bracket for the new control arm assembly, I am noticing that holes do not align with the chassis holes. And when comparing the aluminum control arm assembly to the original assembly, I confirmed that the rear mounting brackets are not the same. Has anyone ever had this happen? Before I contact ECS tuning arrange a return, I want to get some input from those that have done this conversion. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i ran into this myself when changing to solid rubber LCA bushings.
i took them to a machinist friend and had the holes in the brackets slightly oblonged.
still doing fine with almost 40k on them.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Yep, I enlarged the holes using a 1/2" drill bit. Still a tight fit, but it does work.

I removed and saved the VW LCA brackets from the original arms. I may at a future time, replace the bushing in the VW LCA brackets with solid rubber, and install.

Quite the surprise that the holes on the B6 Passat LCA brackets are different than the Mark V.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The LCA brackets on the Meyle set that I installed had the heavy duty (s3 style) bushing inserts. The holes just don't line up with the JSW mounting points...

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I could be wrong but I think the Passat uses different rear LCR bushing mounts than the Golf. Passat is same both sides while Golf has right and left. I bought my bushings from IDParts and they fitted perfectly. Who would have thought VW would have 3 almost identical parts that don’t interchange?

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I could be wrong but I think the Passat uses different rear LCR bushing mounts than the Golf. Passat is same both sides while Golf has right and left. I bought my bushings from IDParts and they fitted perfectly. Who would have thought VW would have 3 almost identical parts that don’t interchange?
You are Correct! The Passat uses different rear LCA bushing mounts than the Golf.

That would have been something important to mention in this thread...LOL

I just ordered the Audi mounts noted above and reposted here.
Audi S3 bushing, https://www.idparts.com/audi-contro...mk68p-1k0199232k-1k0199231k-38663-p-7397.html

Hoping the next person that does this mod reads this thread ALL the way to the end...

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.