Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
i changed coding on instruments, central electronics, and rns+media player 3... hearing the turbo whine:eek:; anybody know what that will do to warranty work?:confused:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
i changed coding on instruments, central electronics, and rns+media player 3... hearing the turbo whine:eek:; anybody know what that will do to warranty work?:confused:
It won't affect your warranty work at all.

That said, it's probably not the smartest idea to go to a dealership and start talking about how many VCDS mods you've done. ;)

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What does the rns+media player 3 change do? What change did you make?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
changed display to more colorful sportline trim and a few other tweaks i don't remember off of the top of my head right now... like speed lockout of destination entry/etc

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Anyone know how to access the Adaptation section in 02-Auto Trans? Want to try and set it up to where it displays the gear when DSG is set in "D". Know how it was done for a B8 A4, so want to see if can do it here, but can't get into Auto Trans?

Not sure if need a security access key or not?

Thanks!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Displaying BOOST on ScanGaugeII

Thanks to vw_norm for providing these instructions for adding BOOST as an xgauge on SCII.

TXD 07DF0170
RXF 054186700000
RXD 3810
MTH 00910BB8FF6F

edit: I just adjusted MTH to be 00910BB8FF54, which corresponds to 0.0 PSI with the engine off at my altitude.
Please note that this won't automatically correct for altitude! If you're way up in the mountains, you may need to fiddle with the xgauge calculation a bit to get it to display correctly. You want to shoot for 0-1 PSI at idle.

Last edited:

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
After some unsuccessful searching, decided to ask here before posting a new thread - does anyone know if VCDS allows disabling or flattening of any baseline EQ tuning done for the RNS-510/Fender Audio system head unit? Thanks -

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Assume you have already done basic adjustments available on the head unit?

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Yeah, I have been thinking about selective upgrades. The Fender system seems to have a low-treble hump to it that the three-band eq can't tame - I've tried. Thinking it might just be the tweeters, but I was concerned that if I upgraded the front components, it might still be there as part of a factory-tuned eq curve. Was hoping to avoid buying a Cleansweep or equivalent.

Ewing

TDI
My laptop is a MacBook Pro...I know Ross-Tech says you should use a computer running Windows natively and virtual PC's like Parallel might not work but has anyone ever tried it using VM Ware Fusion?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
My laptop is a MacBook Pro...I know Ross-Tech says you should use a computer running Windows natively and virtual PC's like Parallel might not work but has anyone ever tried it using VM Ware Fusion?
It works fine on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro running VMware and windows 7

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It works fine on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro running VMware and windows 7
Same here, been doing it for 2 years. No issues. Currently VMware Fusion 5.03, on a 13 Retina MacBook. I have moved the VM between 2 different MacBooks when I upgraded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ewing

TDI
VCDS worked great with Fusion for me. Thanks!

My TDI has the the keyless ignition. When you turn the car off, it shuts everything down including the accessory power to the radio. Is there any coding that could make it so that if you get somewhere and want to shut the engine but you have to stay in the car you could just shut the engine but the power to the radio stays on? It works that way in many other cars with push button start and they just shut everything off when the driver's door opens, not just because you hit the starter button. That would be much more convenient and logical then having to hit the button again to start up the slow ass RNS 510.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS worked great with Fusion for me. Thanks!

My TDI has the the keyless ignition. When you turn the car off, it shuts everything down including the accessory power to the radio. Is there any coding that could make it so that if you get somewhere and want to shut the engine but you have to stay in the car you could just shut the engine but the power to the radio stays on? It works that way in many other cars with push button start and they just shut everything off when the driver's door opens, not just because you hit the starter button. That would be much more convenient and logical then having to hit the button again to start up the slow ass RNS 510.
go to instruments -long coding helper-select saudi arabia in byte 1 i believe from pulldown menu... will change radio to kick off only after driver door is opened after turning the car off... will also change chirpers and seatbelt warnings to different sounds...
beware though that it will change mfi to throw up an orange color speedometer symbol and beep incessantly above 74 MPH

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
go to instruments -long coding helper-select saudi arabia in byte 1 i believe from pulldown menu... will change radio to kick off only after driver door is opened after turning the car off... will also change chirpers and seatbelt warnings to different sounds...
beware though that it will change mfi to throw up an orange color speedometer symbol and beep incessantly above 74 MPH
It doesn't beep incessantly. It beeps once and you can suppress the main warning by pressing OK on the steering wheel.

However, it beeps every time you go above 74 mph, so it can get annoying if you speed up and slow down a lot.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
It doesn't beep incessantly. It beeps once and you can suppress the main warning by pressing OK on the steering wheel.

However, it beeps every time you go above 74 mph, so it can get annoying if you speed up and slow down a lot.
really? i didnt know ok turned it off THANKS vdub!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
really? i didnt know ok turned it off THANKS vdub!
You bet. Pressing OK will acknowledge any MFI warning and return you to the normal screen. The orange speed warning will still continue to cycle across the top of the MFI even after you press OK. It will alternate between that and the time/compass/gear.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
sometimes I just wonder what the software engineers are thinking when they think of stupid **** like this.

+1 for American vehicles.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
sometimes I just wonder what the software engineers are thinking when they think of stupid **** like this.
+1 for American vehicles.
Stupid **** like what? :confused:

If you're talking about the Saudi Arabian speed warning, that's something that the Saudi gov't mandates for traffic safety.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Stupid **** like what? :confused:
If you're talking about the Saudi Arabian speed warning, that's something that the Saudi gov't mandates for traffic safety.

And if you've ever seen some of the viral YouTube videos of Saudi and Kuwaiti kids drifting and doing all sorts of other crazy stunts in traffic, you know that it's moot, because it doesn't seem like there's a lot of traffic enforcement going on there.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Over there I can understand it. But we are in the us market. My main gripe is the mfd in general. It's pathetic. The read outs it gives is basic. I have driven enough newer diesel vehicles, some gas that provides way more info than what vw gives us.

The other thing of having watching this thread for awhile, it's sad that you have to use vcd to get some function that the car should have provided in the first place. Radio needs to say on after shutdown without having to have the stupid steering wheel light come on, and having to change the country the speedometer works under to get another function. Auto headlights have been a standard in American vehicles for years now. Why do you have to get a higher end car package to have that? It just appears to me that the engineers are just behind the times as usual.

Now the rest of the car is fine and generally up to date. It's just the electronics I have an issue with. I just like the engine mainly. Not a big dsg fan tho.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't follow... the MFI gives all sorts of useful information, from navigation aids to a very complete trip computer to various user preferences that are stored based on key so you and your significant other can have the car behave the way each of you prefers. What additional information would you like to see?

Auto headlights are standard on the Passat TDI - how is that a complaint?

Changing country code to unlock more options is an added bonus - show me another car on the market (besides Audi) that you can connect to with a $250 piece of computer software and edit the car's long coding to tailor it to your wants/needs.

Bottom line is that you get a lot of gadgets and functionality in a car that has a comparatively small price tag. If you want zillions of additional gadgets, I suggest looking at an Audi, Mercedes, BMW, or a Lexus - this is a Volkswagen.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Over there I can understand it. But we are in the us market. My main gripe is the mfd in general. It's pathetic. The read outs it gives is basic. I have driven enough newer diesel vehicles, some gas that provides way more info than what vw gives us.

The other thing of having watching this thread for awhile, it's sad that you have to use vcd to get some function that the car should have provided in the first place. Radio needs to say on after shutdown without having to have the stupid steering wheel light come on, and having to change the country the speedometer works under to get another function. Auto headlights have been a standard in American vehicles for years now. Why do you have to get a higher end car package to have that? It just appears to me that the engineers are just behind the times as usual.

Now the rest of the car is fine and generally up to date. It's just the electronics I have an issue with. I just like the engine mainly. Not a big dsg fan tho.
Your car doesnt have auto headlights? My piddly SE does.

If you go to Japan and drive over a certain speed (120KPH if I recall) you will hear an audible alarm, mandated by GOJ. And yes, this applys to Ferrari's, Lambo's and cars that can do 120 KPH in second gear.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Set the cluster to "Germany" to get the radio to stay on until the driver's door opens when you turn off the ignition and you don't get the speed warning you do with the "Saudi Arabia" cluster setting. Works on my SEL and others report it works for them.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I don't follow... the MFI gives all sorts of useful information, from navigation aids to a very complete trip computer to various user preferences that are stored based on key so you and your significant other can have the car behave the way each of you prefers. What additional information would you like to see?

Auto headlights are standard on the Passat TDI - how is that a complaint?

Changing country code to unlock more options is an added bonus - show me another car on the market (besides Audi) that you can connect to with a $250 piece of computer software and edit the car's long coding to tailor it to your wants/needs.

Bottom line is that you get a lot of gadgets and functionality in a car that has a comparatively small price tag. If you want zillions of additional gadgets, I suggest looking at an Audi, Mercedes, BMW, or a Lexus - this is a Volkswagen.

guess it changed since my last vw. my 06 you had to resort to a euro switch to get auto lights. heck my 03 FORD had auto lights on a XLT. which that feature came out in 01. oh wait. the jettas still have the on off switch. no auto. this is 2013, not 1999.

im talking about more useful info as in coolant temp, trans, prolly boost, batt voltage, engine hours. stuff that comes STANDARD on gm, dodge, and ford. why do I have to go more expensive paths like benz and bmw?... plus the analog gauges on the dash are not as accurate as the digital readings. when my edge cts was connected, the coolant gauge doesn't represent what the digital read out is. and the digital speedometer in the mfd doesn't match the needle on the gauge. oh a def level would be nice to have. but its getting deleted when the warranty goes out. tunes and exhaust.

but my argument is why do you have to resort to changing to a foreign coding to get what you should already have? that's all im saying.

plus I could live with out the navigation. I asked the dealer if I could get what I wanted w/o the navi since I never use it nor wanted it. my iphone is my navi. btw most the features you mentioned comes standard now days on us vehicles. im no way upset or anything. just voicing my .02 on this from observation from having my second vw and already owing 3 fords and roomates dodge and gm trucks. and my company truck.

overall im happy with the car I got. the tdi was the sole reason I bought another vw than getting a half ton truck or a ford car.

Your car doesnt have auto headlights? My piddly SE does.

If you go to Japan and drive over a certain speed (120KPH if I recall) you will hear an audible alarm, mandated by GOJ. And yes, this applys to Ferrari's, Lambo's and cars that can do 120 KPH in second gear.

it does. I have the sel prem. I was basing that off my 06 I had which was not a base model and my bro inlaw and sisters 04 models.

yes but this is usa. why would I care about overseas laws? I only drive in this country.

Set the cluster to "Germany" to get the radio to stay on until the driver's door opens when you turn off the ignition and you don't get the speed warning you do with the "Saudi Arabia" cluster setting. Works on my SEL and others report it works for them.
again, should be standard in us version.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Let's turn this thread back into a summary of VCDS Tips and Tricks instead of a rant thread or shoulda-coulda-woulda-been thread. ;)

PS: The voltage, oil pressure, and water temperature gauges on my 2003 Ford 6.0 are all buffered (oil temp is a simple on/off pressure switch) just like the temp gauge on the Passat. Big deal - hook up a ScanGauge/Ultragauge/DashDaq or your own mechanical gauges and have a nice day. The general fuel efficient family sedan buying individual doesn't want that much information - only we diesel freaks do. ;)

Ewing

TDI
I'll try changing to Germany, thanks!

Anyone here have the WinPower HID headlights? I got them installed today and the headlights will no longer stay on a while after locking the car up and walking away nor when unlocking it as you approach. I've seen some people tweak things via VCDS when installing these headlights...Anyone know what tweaks should follow this headlight swap?

I saw this earlier in this thread but can anyone let me know what each does and will it bring back coming/leaving home?

China VCDS Headlight thread change recommendations 09-Cent. Elect Coding - 07 Long Coding Helper Byte 15 Bit 5 checked Parking Lights OFF with Terminal S OFF and light switch at Low beam Byte 15 Bit 6 checked DRL via separate Lights active Byte 15 Bit 7 checked DRL Adaptation active (MFA+) Byte 19 Bit 0-3 Headlight extension inactive Byte 27 Bit 2 checked LED-DRL Mod for Parking/Position light & DRL

Last edited: