Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

MarkAardvark

TDI
2014 Passat; 2014 Jetta
Just a few observations on my 2014 TDI SEL & the VCDS Mods.

1) The instrument celebration & climatronic staging work.
2) The Hill Hold instead of being on or off appears to have 3 levels at various RPM.
3) Attempting to add back Navigation voice commands doesn't work.
4) Volume to replenish comes up as Not Available.
4) Turn PTT button into mute comes up as Not Available.
5) Successful in getting convenience window down & sunroof up by holding down open on remote.
6) As noted elsewhere, my cornering fogs on low speed turning works only in the "ON" headlight switch position, not auto.

The remote start (while I don't plan on using it) doesn't work. While having the dealer look into this, I'll ask about the cornering lights.

Your mileage may vary - Mark

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You can set a speed alert to any mph in the MFI display, or eliminate it.

The Saudi Arabian coding enables a separate 74 MPH speed warning that can not be changed or disabled. You can still enable the normal speed warning in addition if you want.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I'm still trying to find out the right combination of VCDS tweaks to make my fogs come on as DRLs in the auto headlight position. If anyone knows, please share. Would love to have fog-only capability.

I followed a lot of Compu's instructions and was able to get the option for DRLs to show up on the MFI, etc, but I just haven't found the right combo of options to make the selectable DRL fogs happen, if it's even possible.

I was able to get my fogs to stay on with high beams. That's pretty sweet.

One other oddity: I ran an autoscan before I started my VCDS tweaking and I have no error codes, but I did get a message that right rear door was not found. Dubya-tee-eff?
Go to CECM and check the box for "Fog light as DRL" and uncheck the box for "separate bulb for DRL"

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Go to CECM and check the box for "Fog light as DRL" and uncheck the box for "separate bulb for DRL"
I fiddled around with mine last night and left the bit for "DRL via separate bulb active" checked for gits and shiggles. I think it looks kinda cool to have the fogs and DRLs on together. :cool: Makes me question whether I should put the DeAutoKey LED DRLs back in or not. Having a "cool white" DRL with a slightly yellow-ish fog light might look odd.

I'm sure it's easy to picture in your head but I'll take a picture before I leave work tonight.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Interesting look, me thinks.
I didn't think that you could do both on like this. Clever. Did you try tweaking Byte 24 in the BCM to see how altering the brightness setting for the DRL makes it look? Through my headlamp iterations, I ran the fogs as DRLs for a while and found that tweaking the percentage in Byte 24 would dim them down a bit so that they just didn't look like fogs. It would be interesting to know if the brightness setting is applied to all 4 lamps when you got it set up this way.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I didn't think that you could do both on like this. Clever. Did you try tweaking Byte 24 in the BCM to see how altering the brightness setting for the DRL makes it look? Through my headlamp iterations, I ran the fogs as DRLs for a while and found that tweaking the percentage in Byte 24 would dim them down a bit so that they just didn't look like fogs. It would be interesting to know if the brightness setting is applied to all 4 lamps when you got it set up this way.

Quick question: I Know that here in Wisconsin bright lights+fogs on at same time are not road legal and many a modifier has gotten a ticket over it...
anybody know if the coppers would ticket over this... because if not i would LOVE to do this, but don't want a ticket or an impounded auto!:eek::eek::eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would be very surprised if a police officer actually pulled you over for having fog lights on with the high beams, and even more surprised if he/she impounded your car for it.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Just make certain to dip your lights to all incoming traffic, and it is very unlikely cops will care. But if you leave on your high beams and fogs in the face of oncoming traffic, you are asking for trouble.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Agreed, the midgets need Jaguar's "Intelligent High Beam" system that automatically switches between high and low beams.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I rarely see anyone turn their high-beams off anymore for oncoming traffic :mad:
Maybe automatic lights and they do not P/U on coming traffic, That happens in my Grand Cherokee, and sometimes the are to sensitive and go off whenthey do not need, but older cars, yes, and I often flash them.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Did you try tweaking Byte 24 in the BCM to see how altering the brightness setting for the DRL makes it look?
I found that changing that bit didn't make any change to the DRL brightness on our car.. kind of a bummer, I'd love to reduce it some so the lamps last longer.

-J

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I found that changing that bit didn't make any change to the DRL brightness on our car.. kind of a bummer, I'd love to reduce it some so the lamps last longer.
-J
Interesting. When I had the fogs set as DRL's, I was able to run them dimmer. Maybe this is only functional when the fogs are selected as DRL. I think I set them to around 50-70% and achieved a noticeable reduction in brilliance.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
You saw a reduction in the fog lights or DRL lights?

-J
Fogs. This was the period when I was trying different byte 18 combos and found the ones that made the rear LEDs work well didn't have DRL functionality. Go figure. Fixed that with some relays. But in the meantime, I used the fogs as DRL and thought that they were too bright, so was able to make them dimmer. IIRC, it was between 50-70% that was best. Turned on the fog lights from the switch and they brightened right up. I was too deep into it to try it on the headlamp DRL's, so I can't vouch for what happens there.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
Bought a cable a few months ago after reading I could make some of these tweaks and the cable sat on the desk for some time with me thinking "this is going to be difficult to figure out!"

Broke it out the other day and was surprised at the ease of use and in one sitting did

1. disable HHA

2. went with full voltage on head and tail lights ( what a difference with osram 65w headlights and full voltage, wow! I was really considering retrofitting with s2k projectors until this change and while not as good as the s2k retro on my honda its plenty good enough now.

3. fogs working with high beam now

4. horn off when locking doors

5. enable rain rain sensor

6. enable rain closing

7. enable voice command for nav

8. disable destination speed limit input for speech and text on nav

9. seat heater memory

10. correction of consumption and operating range to 105%

11. distance impulse number set to 2 as i mounted 245/45/18 michelin pilot super sports and the odo has been showing like 96 or 97 miles for every 100, we'll see if that works?

12. comfort blinking set to 5

13. changed the coming home lights to 20 seconds from the 10 second default

now i ran across this

16-steering wheel
basic settings-04
steering wheel angle sensor has 3 options in drop down menu

1. carry out zero calibration
2. reset zero calibration
3. zero calibration w/steer. wheel scale

does anyone know what this is?

the reason i ask is because from day one my steering wheel pointed right when i am driving straight then at my 10k service i asked the dealer to make an adjustment, it now points left!,. when i asked about this the dealer told me they have to remove and reposition the wheel and its mounted on a splined shaft and they just moved one over.

don't know if this has anything to do with what i want to do or not?

Last edited:

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
That's one thing I need to is check my speedometer against a GPS unit. I have a feeling its reading a little high. My tracked mileage on Fuelly is slowly falling behind the actual mileage shown on the odometer. It even had a 45 mile head start since I joined Fuelly after I received the car which had been driven from a different dealer.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Bought a cable a few months ago after reading I could make some of these tweaks and the cable sat on the desk for some time with me thinking "this is going to be difficult to figure out!"

now i ran across this

16-steering wheel
basic settings-04
steering wheel angle sensor has 3 options in drop down menu

1. carry out zero calibration
2. reset zero calibration
3. zero calibration w/steer. wheel scale

does anyone know what this is?

the reason i ask is because from day one my steering wheel pointed right when i am driving straight then at my 10k service i asked the dealer to make an adjustment, it now points left!,. when i asked about this the dealer told me they have to remove and reposition the wheel and its mounted on a splined shaft and they just moved one over.

don't know if this has anything to do with what i want to do or not?
The steering wheel angle sensor should not be touched unless replaced and needs to be adapted to the car. However, I am more concerned that the dealer would even think that moving the steering wheel hub over a notch on the spline shaft is actually a repair. That's just masking the real problem with the wheel alignment, and not very well. Anytime the steering wheel is not pointed straight ahead is indicative of a vehicle suspension alignment problem. I would find another dealer and fast. That is just dumb.

Last edited:

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
I switched to Australian last night, and it did kill the seatbelt chime. However, the 39°F warning still chimes?

Also, what is volume replenish?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I switched to Australian last night, and it did kill the seatbelt chime. However, the 39°F warning still chimes?

Also, what is volume replenish?
1.trust me with all of its color warings, saudi is MUCH more entertaining/fun, has no seat chime, leaves radio on unless driver door is opened when not running or ignition on, and Never has a seatbelt chime, though it will still chime 5 times if the driver door is open with ignition on before going silent

2. how much fuel can safely be fueled into the car- I think it was put there for russian style high pressure gas station pumps that are controlled by pre-determined amounts before shutting down...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Go with German coding, and turn the seatbelt switch off in VCDS. Best of both worlds. You get radio on until door opens with no seatbelt chime. Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
The steering wheel angle sensor should not be touched unless replaced and needs to be adapted to the car. However, I am more concerned that the dealer would even think that moving the steering wheel hub over a notch on the spline shaft is actually a repair. That's just masking the real problem with the wheel alignment, and not very well. Anytime the steering wheel is not pointed straight ahead is indicative of a vehicle suspension alignment problem. I would find another dealer and fast. That is just dumb.

The first thing they did was to align the wheels, they said it was out and charged me to do the alignment even though i had not caused it to go out ( IMO ) afterward the wheel was in the exact same spot, that is when they told me about removing the steering wheel to fix the problem, sounded very strange to me but I'm no mechanic so...?

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
The first thing they did was to align the wheels, they said it was out and charged me to do the alignment even though i had not caused it to go out ( IMO ) afterward the wheel was in the exact same spot, that is when they told me about removing the steering wheel to fix the problem, sounded very strange to me but I'm no mechanic so...?
From what I understand, others have between getting a free alignment within Idk how many miles (Idk if this is true). Also, the wheel has to be set straight before the alignment is done in order for it to work..

My dealer did the same thing (moved the wheel a sproket over) and I had the same problem as you, the wheel went the other way. Btw, I took my car in and they told me they would take care of it without telling me what they would be doing (I wouldn't have allowed them to do that if I had known)

I took my car to a buddies shop where he did a proper alignment which fixed the problem.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
1.trust me with all of its color warings, saudi is MUCH more entertaining/fun, has no seat chime, leaves radio on unless driver door is opened when not running or ignition on, and Never has a seatbelt chime, though it will still chime 5 times if the driver door is open with ignition on before going silent
If there was a way to disable the 74MPH speed warning in the Saudi setting, I would go that route. As it is I get all of the same benefits from the Australian setting.

Go with German coding, and turn the seatbelt switch off in VCDS. Best of both worlds. You get radio on until door opens with no seatbelt chime. Done.
Retained radio power does not work for the RCD-510, only the navigation head units. :(

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I understand, others have between getting a free alignment within Idk how many miles (Idk if this is true). Also, the wheel has to be set straight before the alignment is done in order for it to work..

My dealer did the same thing (moved the wheel a sproket over) and I had the same problem as you, the wheel went the other way. Btw, I took my car in and they told me they would take care of it without telling me what they would be doing (I wouldn't have allowed them to do that if I had known)

I took my car to a buddies shop where he did a proper alignment which fixed the problem.
Thanks for that info, I will do the same.