Passat NMS TDI Engine blow up!? (mystery)

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and so far, love it!

My story:

I own 2013 Passat NMS TDI with 113.000km. My engine blow up after engine wash?? Friend called me to clean/wash my engine and 10 min later after highway driving boomm. I didn't have any warning light on dashboard (check engine, oil, temperature) at all!!! I towed car to local VW and they found pieces of metal in oil pan?. They told me engine is blown and that water cant do this. Of course I am not covered. They told me they can replace with the new one for 17000$ CAD....crazy!! I ended bringing car to my mechanic. I explained story to him an he also is hard to believe that water destroyed my engine. To find out What happened he need to open the engine and dig inside to find out. I purchased the new engine with 74000km for 2600$CAD. So I was going to pick up my car yesterday and he told me he found the issue...intercooler. Intercooler was full of water and have no clue how. He told me that probably this intercooler destroyed my engine. He ordered the new one for 450$CAN. So probably next week my car will be completed. Did you guys ever had any issues regarding intercooler?? I am driving diesels for long time and never heard that intercooler can cause problems. Or can really one engine wash can do this? Sorry for the long email and thank you a lot!

Last edited:

spacebee

TDI
mk5 jetta
Jesus dude sorry about your car but thats why im terrified of washing my engine bay. i dont think one engine wash could do it maybe your antifreeze cap was loose enough to let a lot of water in?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your car has an air-to-water intercooler. That intercooler has coolant flowing through it, cooling the entering air. If the intercooler leaked it could have caused coolant to get into the engine and caused a hydrolock.

Not sure what the warranty coverage is for that intercooler.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Your car has an air-to-water intercooler. That intercooler has coolant flowing through it, cooling the entering air. If the intercooler leaked it could have caused coolant to get into the engine and caused a hydrolock.

Not sure what the warranty coverage is for that intercooler.
According to page 2 of the covered parts list, It is covered. https://www.reddit.com/r/tdi/comments/ch0v34
HOWEVER, OP appears to be in Canada and I dont know what their warranty terms are.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
thank you guys....i have no warranty on this, checked already with VW. But bow I am sacred now for intercooler. Is thwre any service that needs to be done on that yearly?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That's the dieselgate extended waranty, right?

14TDiMan

TDI
14 Passat TDi SEL Premium DSG
IF coolant was in the intercooler, then you are getting screwed. Water intrusion could be caused by high pressure water, which would be on you. I would not think the dieselgate warranty would exclude any vehicle sold in North America. Could be wrong. Call VW.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
thank you guys....i have no warranty on this, checked already with VW. But bow I am sacred now for intercooler. Is thwre any service that needs to be done on that yearly?
May I ask why you think you have no extended warranty? When you say you "checked with Vw" where did you check? If you tried using the vwdieselinfo website, that only applies to US vehicles. It will not tell canadians any warranty information.

According to Vw.ca, you guys do get a "dieselgate" warranty. Here's the brochure that applies to your vehicle. https://www.vw.ca/idhub/content/dam...al-pieces/tdi/2013_Passat_VWC_2L_Gen-2_EN.pdf
You are covered until the vehicle is 10 years old or has 193,000km on the odometer. OR 4 years / 77,000km from the repair date.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I think there are only two possible ways for high pressure water to get into the interior of the intercooler during a washing of the engine: 1) the sensor at the top of the intercooler was missing and water got into the little 1/4 inch hole at the top - you would have had check engine lights if that sensor was not there, so most unlikely. 2) the large air intake hose at the bottom of the intercooler was missing - again, there would have been all kinds of codes if that was the case, and its covered up by the belly pan so virtually impossible to spray water into it. So, by far the most likely scenario given the mix of antifreeze and water is that the intercooler had an internal leak, leading to hydrolock, and the damage should be covered under extended warranty.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
May I ask why you think you have no extended warranty? When you say you "checked with Vw" where did you check? If you tried using the vwdieselinfo website, that only applies to US vehicles. It will not tell canadians any warranty information.

According to Vw.ca, you guys do get a "dieselgate" warranty. Here's the brochure that applies to your vehicle. https://www.vw.ca/idhub/content/dam...al-pieces/tdi/2013_Passat_VWC_2L_Gen-2_EN.pdf
You are covered until the vehicle is 10 years old or has 193,000km on the odometer. OR 4 years / 77,000km from the repair date.
I dont see anything for intercooler.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
I think there are only two possible ways for high pressure water to get into the interior of the intercooler during a washing of the engine: 1) the sensor at the top of the intercooler was missing and water got into the little 1/4 inch hole at the top - you would have had check engine lights if that sensor was not there, so most unlikely. 2) the large air intake hose at the bottom of the intercooler was missing - again, there would have been all kinds of codes if that was the case, and its covered up by the belly pan so virtually impossible to spray water into it. So, by far the most likely scenario given the mix of antifreeze and water is that the intercooler had an internal leak, leading to hydrolock, and the damage should be covered under extended warranty.
Dieselgate warranty?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
If told "no" first time, call a 2nd time to VW of Canada, or ask to talk to someone dedicated to the dieselgate warranty. Don't settle with the first no, they can be quick to dismiss you, and in my experience, the dealers are completely clueless on what's covered or not. Good luck

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read the Dieselgate warranty paperwork and know it. It can be a life saver if you know what is covered. As you found out not knowing really can hurt. If you own one of these cars you should read and learn the Dieselgate warranty document. You are doing yourself a disservice by not reading and learning this.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That looks pretty nasty. Could put water through the in/out lines and pressurize a little to see if it is in fact leaking internally. A vacuum pump would work as well to identify a leak with the part being off the car.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
I went to the VW dealer this week and they told me “why I didn't bring the whole car so they can inspect the engine?”. I said my car was here, but you asked me 1000$ CAD to see what is wrong, thats why I bring the car to my mechanic. I left the part there and they will let me know on Monday. Do you think if part is broken they will cover my expenses or they will say just no, because car was at other garage?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
The fact the car was at the other garage should not matter. All the garage did was try to diagnose it, not fix it. If VW has any integrity and covers your engine under the dieselgate warranty (some assumptions made here) they should cover it. You also could have the car towed to the VW dealer and they can inspect the carnage for themselves.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
The fact the car was at the other garage should not matter. All the garage did was try to diagnose it, not fix it. If VW has any integrity and covers your engine under the dieselgate warranty (some assumptions made here) they should cover it. You also could have the car towed to the VW dealer and they can inspect the carnage for themselves.
I replaced the engine already with my cost, but still have original engine with me.

NikoSRB

TDI
2013 Passat (NMS) TDI
VW test the intercooler and its fine. So what damaged my engine will stay as mystery. Water or something else....thank you guys for advices!