Passat intermittent start

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL ‘14 Jetta Sport Wagon ‘14 Passat TDI SEL
2014 VW Passat TDI
I just finished a water pump/ belt replacement. I bleed the injectors and attempted to start, I pressed Ignition button, Pressed brake pedal, pressed ignition button, what happens is the glow plug lights flash, and the car will not start? After 15 tries at this it started! Drove out of garage, topped off fluid, car at temperature, shut off. Went away for a few days, tried to start car, after may tries as described above car started, drove around block has power, sounds wonderful!
But now I am back to the glow plug light flashing which is off until I press the ignition, and not starting.
I have a VW Audi code reader, and it has a code 03189.
Anyone who can help, please.
Eric

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Google is your friend:

03189 - Bulb for Side Marker Light; Front Right
010 - Open or Short to Plus

But I did have an issue with my wife's GSW and the button, it would not action. I saw a video on how to remove and open, clean the contacts, reassemble and that was it.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the water pump, and the belt pulleys and tensioner. I removed the motor mount for this repair, I supported the engine with a jack and may have lifted the engine higher than it was on motor mount but nothing extreme. I rescanned the codes and came up with a 0907, which from what I have read it means that the car does not what gear it’s in?
Has anyone ever had this problem?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
How old is the car battery? I had a passat act crazy lights on the dash, wouldn’t shut off with the push to start button, ended up being a weak battery.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, battery is old, charged it all weekend and it shows battery at 3/4 full?
Leaving it on the charger I tried starting it without success.
I’ll replace battery, but ...
I keep thinking this is a “stupid” mistake like I didn’t plug something in?
03189 are the codes I get on my vtech scanner.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Weak old battery is most likely your problem.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried starting with the battery charger in start mode?
Still nothing, but I will get a battery, and I pray it is solved.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Op has already reported that after charging, battery only comes up to 75 percent and thats with the surface float charge. When the starter engages, I'd bet voltage drops way below 10.5 which is sure to shut down functions in the ecu. Unless op is south of the equator, its going to get colder. Battery is really one of the least expensive maintenance items on a car, between 2-4 dollars a month.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Op has already reported that after charging, battery only comes up to 75 percent and thats with the surface float charge. When the starter engages, I'd bet voltage drops way below 10.5 which is sure to shut down functions in the ecu. Unless op is south of the equator, its going to get colder. Battery is really one of the least expensive maintenance items on a car, between 2-4 dollars a month.
New battery still no start?

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Still stumped about this non start issue.
New battery
No luck will charge the battery and go back at it.
The glow plug lights flash, tire pressure light flash, and the abs swingle light comes on after attempted start.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Still stumped about this non start issue.
New battery
No luck will charge the battery and go back at it.
The glow plug lights flash, tire pressure light flash, and the abs swingle light comes on after attempted start.
Just got in car and gave it another attempt, and it started!
WOW!
It’s running!
however the steering wheel light is on and abs skid light on ?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
When you change the battery the ABS skid light will typically come on, but normally go out after driving 10-15 miles per hour for a block or two. Owners manual covers that. I don't know about a steering wheel light, never seen that. If the car was mine I would clear that code and see if it comes back.

I just disconnected the battery for a few hours while I did the DSG service on my '13 and when I was done and I started it up the tire pressure monitoring light went on and the ABS skid light. Both went away after starting the car a few times and driving slowly as stated. I also pressed the tire pressure monitoring reset button just to make sure the light went out. (in glove box)

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I appreciate all your suggestions.
To update
I have a new battery, and it will start. It just takes up to ten times of pressing the button on and then off?
Puzzling?
I have the OBDeleven but it is not talking to the tablet??
Trying the Vgate now

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I appreciate all your suggestions.
To update
I have a new battery, and it will start. It just takes up to ten times of pressing the button on and then off?
Puzzling?
I have the OBDeleven but it is not talking to the tablet??
Trying the Vgate now
Code 00956 in electrical
Engine mode says no link

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New battery may not have had full charge when you installed it. Did you charge it first?