Passat Hitch Receiver - Homebuilt

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I completed my installation of my own design 1.25 inch hitch receiver on our Passat TDI Wagon today. Total cost about $30.00, and the receiver does not hang down below the bumper cover. It is good for Class 1 towing or bike racks. Anyone who copies it does so at their own risk.

1. Buy a 1.25 inch receiver (southwestwheel.com) and weld to a 3 x 6 inch piece of 3/8 inch steel plate. Drill two 3/8 inch mounting holes aprox. centered in each side of the plate. Paint with rust preventer and black enamel.

2. Mark several alignment points and along the lower edge of the bumper with permanent pen inside the bumper cover and on the aluminum bumper - this facilitates cutting the receiver clearance hole later. Remove rear bumper cover (See Bentley manual).

3. Clamp the receiver to the center of the underside of the aluminum bumper. Drill two 3/8 inch holes up clear thru the bumper, it is hollow. Use two 3/8 x 4 inch carriage bolts: file the holes in the top of the bumper square to fit the bolt heads. This allows later tightening from below without removing the bumper cover. Use Nylock nuts and tighten until the bolt heads are flush.

4. Measure from one of the alignment marks to the receiver, then mark inside the bumper cover from the matching mark, a 2 inch square hole to clear the receiver. Remount the bumper cover.

5. Buy a 48 inch long electrical trailer pigtail of the type you want to use (I use 4-pin flat), four 2.5 amp silicon diodes and plenty of barrel-splice crimp connectors. Splice into the taillight wiring at the left side to get ground, left turn signal, and running lights. Splice into the right side to get right turn signal and run an extra wire under the edge of the trim to the left side. Use the diodes to run the brake lights and a turn signal light into each trailer brake light wire, so the brakes and turn signals in the Passat will remain separate.

6. Use a short, straight hitch bar. For most trailers, the receiver is at the correct height. I cut mine from a longer hitch bar and use bushings and 1/2 inch bolts to mount the hitch balls.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A bicycle rack? OK.
Class 1? 2,000 pounds pulling against the area under the heads of 3/8 bolts in a 1/4 plate of aluminum? Up to 200 pounds tongue weight cantilevered six inches out from those two bolts? Those two bolts 1 1/2 inches from the leading edge which acts as a fulcrum as the tongue presses down on the trailing edge?
Nope.

Had you inserted a steel plate inside the bumper by which the load could be distributed over many more square inches of surface,
Had the fasteners been into the steel insert and sandwiched the bumper between them,
THEN I'd trust your installation.

I've been wrong before. This is one time I pray that I'm wrong.

p.s. To what do your safety chains attach?

Baerle

TDI
Passat Variant B4, 1996, Red
Anyone who copies it does so at their own risk.
... that looks quite 'risky' ...

In Germany we have very strict laws concerning hitches. Have you ever seen a hitch certified in Germany? It is nearly impossible to build a hitch yourself and get a certification (TÜV) for it.

Nothing for bad, but I have my doubts...

This is an example for a certified german hitch ... I don't know for which car, but it's all the same. (excuse the bad image ...)

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
My primary uses are lightweight enough for this hitch to be quite reliable: either a bicycle rack or a small utility trailer that weighs 250 lb empty or about 500 to 700 lb loaded. I made the hitch bar short to minimize the torque from tongue loading. I have use a similar hitch on my 99 New Beetle TDI for four years with zero problems.

The trailer safety chain is looped thru the stock towing loop that in the Passat is welded to the bottom of the spare tire well.