Passat fun

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Took the blue one on a trip to upstate new York. Visited Niagra falls, Washington DC area, then south west to the tail of the dragon. I drove that today and had a blast! Why they ever quit making the Passat wagon like that, I don't know, but it's got great handling and power, and I've been averaging over 38 mpg!

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The full photos are on order digitally, but here's the proof. 😂

Attachments

Mozambiquer

TDI

Professional photos from the killboy photographers on the tail of the dragon! That was SO much fun!

Mozambiquer

TDI

Did a few upgrades on my first passat wagon. The brakes were starting to pulse from a warped rotor, and the rotors were pretty rusted, so I picked up some brake parts, got some from a forum member for the rear and got the others from online. Power stop ceramic brake pads and front drilled and slotted rotors, then I pulled out a set of bilstein b6 shocks that are actually pull offs from a motor home. I had modified them for my mk4 golf, but they were too stiff, they work pretty well for the passat wagon, especially since I use it for towing, which actually was the reason for getting all this done. I had a show lined up in cottonwood falls Kansas where I was supposed to be Blacksmithing.

Mozambiquer

TDI
The car did pretty good with a heavy load of a bunch of heavy metal...
But then, just as we were leaving, a distracted driver plowed into me as I was making a left hand turn...

I was surprised when the lady pulled out an unexpired insurance card, as she was one of the rough crowd types... but when I called her insurance company monday, they said she hadn't been paying her premiums, so it wasn't valid. Why!!! Anyway I called my insurance agent and found out that my insurance does provide uninsured motorist insurance, so hopefully they'll do something, then they go after the person or their insurance company.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
The car did pretty good with a heavy load of a bunch of heavy metal...
But then, just as we were leaving, a distracted driver plowed into me as I was making a left hand turn...

I was surprised when the lady pulled out an unexpired insurance card, as she was one of the rough crowd types... but when I called her insurance company monday, they said she hadn't been paying her premiums, so it wasn't valid. Why!!! Anyway I called my insurance agent and found out that my insurance does provide uninsured motorist insurance, so hopefully they'll do something, then they go after the person or their insurance company.
Just seeing this thread for the first time and nice work. Sad to see that damage to such a beautiful car.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Well today I sold my original wagon, the one that got rear ended. Insurance wouldn't pay out, so if I want anything I have to go after the person myself. I needed one I could pull a trailer with, so I went ahead and did the timing belt on the other one I had sitting in my yard, as well as replacing the coolant vent hose and getting the ac fixed. It was actually my first time replacing the timing belt in a non wrecked b5... my other one had front end damage from before hand and it so happened that the only ones that I ever did the timing belt on were damaged on the front.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Sorry about your original wagon, and also glad your blue one wasn't the victim, that thing is a beaut' Clark!

How did you like the B6 HD's on that wagon? I just ordered a pair for the rear of my wagon. I do not plan to pull a trailer, but wanted something firmer for the curvy corners and my rears are close to done. (front sits higher)

so from the photos above, the wagon with black steelies will be your new work rig, and the blue wagon the going to town car?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Sorry about your original wagon, and also glad your blue one wasn't the victim, that thing is a beaut' Clark!

How did you like the B6 HD's on that wagon? I just ordered a pair for the rear of my wagon. I do not plan to pull a trailer, but wanted something firmer for the curvy corners and my rears are close to done. (front sits higher)

so from the photos above, the wagon with black steelies will be your new work rig, and the blue wagon the going to town car?
So actually the b6s I had on the beater one were modified from motor home shocks... we do a lot of motor home suspensions at the shop and one of them we were replacing the shocks which were bilsteins with Konis. The rear shocks were rusted out but the front ones weren't. I was getting ready to toss them in the scrap bin when I saw one of my mk4 shocks sitting there and noticed how close in size they were... I then modified the mk4 mounts and put them on the back of my golf. I ended up lifting that car, so I got bilstein TC shocks and stuck those motor home ones in a box. Flash forward to when I was doing the brakes on my wagon... I remembered those shocks and pulled them out. Yup, same length as the passat ones... modified the passat mounts and put them in.
They were rough riding, but handled well, especially with a trailer attached. My other Stonehenge grey passat has actual Passat b6 shocks front and rear and handles nicely.
It had steelies in that photo, but those were the snow tires. It looks a lot better now, with 17" GLS wheels. It has the leather interior and woodgrain trim. I know I'll need a cam before too long, it has a worn Colt cam in it right now. Itll get a franko6 one later on.

Mozambiquer

TDI

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
alright, I am gonna buckle down and get the B6 front struts as well. I need to find a good write-up to change the front. Not sure how much harder they are than the MK4 platform. It makes sense, to this idiot, to swap the front struts when I am doing axles as well since I am in that far, but maybe not.

I have to find some of those 17" GLS wheels, they sure are 'purdy!!! I have 2 sets of 16" wheels. A winter set that is plasti-dipped black (n) and another set.

Winter Mode:
Summer Mode:

Need to go learn how to post photos.............

Mozambiquer

TDI
alright, I am gonna buckle down and get the B6 front struts as well. I need to find a good write-up to change the front. Not sure how much harder they are than the MK4 platform. It makes sense, to this idiot, to swap the front struts when I am doing axles as well since I am in that far, but maybe not.

I have to find some of those 17" GLS wheels, they sure are 'purdy!!! I have 2 sets of 16" wheels. A winter set that is plasti-dipped black (n) and another set.

Winter Mode:
Summer Mode:

Need to go learn how to post photos.............
The axles are really easy on these. The book says to disassemble the control arms and all, but that isn't necessary. Takes about 15 minutes for me to swap them, just pull the wheel, pull the shield inside and the bolts that mount the flange to the transmission flange and the bolt from the hub. Then pull the inside up and the splined shaft out and itll slide right out. I've not done the front struts yet, don't know how hard it is, but I've heard its not too hard.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds easy enough, I just need to order 12 new bolts for the Trans/CV flange. I got stuck on that and was trying to figure out if the manual swapped B5's took a different bolt than the autos.

I remember reading where Oilhammer doesn't even remove the wheel, but I definitely will.

Mozambiquer

TDI
That sounds easy enough, I just need to order 12 new bolts for the Trans/CV flange. I got stuck on that and was trying to figure out if the manual swapped B5's took a different bolt than the autos.

I remember reading where Oilhammer doesn't even remove the wheel, but I definitely will.
Yeah, if you have a lift, no tire removal needed.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Mozambiquer

TDI

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
What are you plans with the blue wagon? your sunday funday?

Mozambiquer

TDI
What are you plans with the blue wagon? your sunday funday?
I'll probably drive it myself, not sure yet. I gotta figure out the transmission issue and then decide if I want to fix the auto transmission or manual swap.

Mozambiquer

TDI
The B5 front suspension is amazingly fun to drive and a quattro rear makes it better.

Miss my old B5
Yeah, thats one of the things that hooked me on them. Sadly only fwd on mine, but they ride and handle great!

Mozambiquer

TDI

Couple more photos. I got a set of brand new Hella headlights, as the plastic clips inside the lights were deteriorating and the wiring was falling apart. Sadly one of the lights was broken from the box, so I have to get it warranties.
But this car is starting to look really nice! I got the hatch programmed to unlock with the doors and the passenger rear door fixed.
Oh, and now have two car seats in it, as my second daughter was born a week ago. My oldest who is 2 and a half, loves helping daddy fix the car.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
Headlight looks awesome!!!! Need to get mine in as well. I ordered some through Daniel Stern and they came straight from Germany. Plus the bulbs he recommends.

More IMPORTANTLY, congrats on the second little angel!!! Mine are 6 and 8, and they are so wonderful, and manipulative, and loving, and mean, and my entire world!!! All at the same time!!!!! Spoil those little girls!!! My projects and things are SO delayed all the time cause family is everything to me.

I am so learning that, sons will treat their wife how he observes you treating his mother, and daughters will marry and expect to be treated exactly how you treat them! So kill them with LOVE and ATTENTION.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Mozambiquer

TDI

Picked up a harbor freight trailer for $70 at an auction so I can have something while I wait to have time to drive 4 hours one way to get my other trailer back.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Well, I did it again... found a tdi wagon on marketplace that has limp mode and low oil pressure alarm. It was about an hour away, and I found a load going to that town with a rollback. So I brought a Mercedes e500 up and then haggled around a bit and picked this one up. I thought it maybe had the balance shaft let go, but there's no rattle or sign of it not working, and a previous person who looked at it took it on a 45 minute test drive. I bet they got tired of that stop beeper that would have kept going off... but it still runs after that, so it may not be bad...
The transmission was rebuilt about 20k miles ago, which is what I got it for, as my little sister's car had the transmission fail on it.
Also saw a bunch of other parts for my wife's car and a few for my blue one, like the bilstein suspension and stuff...
It also had tires installed 30 miles before they parked it!

Mozambiquer

TDI

mkuiper

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
rare bird there. Side skirts should go ;) other than that, I love this era of VW's madness. Thank you Piech

Mozambiquer

TDI
Does it still run?
Actually does, lol. I already decided that if the engine goes, I'll swap a BHW and o1e transmission in, but currently it runs pretty well. I plan to take care of it and see how it goes.