Passat fun

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, just decided I'd show a few things I did on my wagon the other day...
I had gotten the Passat with what was supposed as a failed head gasket. It had combustion gasses in the coolant and would lose the coolant very quickly. It had been my parents car, and they had loaned it to a friend in Chicago when it suddenly started having white smoke and losing coolant. He took it to a shop which quoted several thousand dollars to fix it. They decided not to have that shop do it and went to pick it up. I checked it out and tried clamping the EGR cooler lines to see if that was the problem. It still had exhaust in the coolant, so the assumption was made that it had a blown head gasket.
The car then sat over the winter time with only water in the cooling system, but thankfully it didn't break anything!
This spring, I found out that the cam was going out again on my wife's mkv Jetta, so I needed something else. I asked my dad about the Passat, and he offered it for a really good price. I then ordered a set of head studs from Whitbread performance and went to tear into the car. I pulled the EGR cooler off first and noticed that there was water in it... I decided to try blocking it off and seeing what happened. Sure enough, no compression in the coolant anymore! Great news! But, now I have the head studs, but don't need the gasket to be changed... Well that leads me to the other day.
I decided that while I was replacing the coolant temp sensor, I should put the studs in. Here's some photos of my fun!

I had to remove the intake manifold in order to put the one bolt in. I then realized that what I've heard about the bhw not having the problems of intakes becoming coked with carbon from the EGR isn't necessarily correct... My intake had a lot of carbon buildup which I cleaned out with the torch method. I also installed a block off plate for the EGR valve. I left the valve plugged in until I get the car tuned.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I guess this is a kinda build thread...
The other day, the exhaust came apart behind the catalytic converter. I decided it was the time to get rid of the converter. So, I pulled it off and got a pipe bent to fit. I think it'll have a bit better exhaust flow now. If nothing else, there's more room down in that hole.

Mozambiquer

TDI
And there it is! Much more room! You can even see light through the tunnel!

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
Its nice when the damage is not as bad as expected, when i cleaned my passat wgn intake i got about enough crap ti half fill a a 2kg peanutbutter pot.

when you post pictures it would help if you resized the images to 800x600 0r 1024x768, if you don't have photo editing program IRFANVIEW does a nice job and its free.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I hope this isn't the end of my journey with the wagon... The torque converter doesn't lock up, so I bought a cheap Eddie Bauer expedition and I'm towing it 1500 miles home to Missouri. Not the best idea of a vacation, but I'm grateful to God that everything worked out!

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
I didnt see where you indicated the mileage on the car. I am seeing quite a few in my area in the 400,000km range so if the body is good , a transmission is a relatively low cost to gettting back on the road.

I know there are those who say that german cars are an expensive addiction, with the high maintenance cost, but they are comfortable and provide driving feedback (sporty)

Mozambiquer

TDI
I didnt see where you indicated the mileage on the car. I am seeing quite a few in my area in the 400,000km range so if the body is good , a transmission is a relatively low cost to gettting back on the road.

I know there are those who say that german cars are an expensive addiction, with the high maintenance cost, but they are comfortable and provide driving feedback (sporty)
It has 227k miles. I'm thinking with the research I've been doing, that it's maybe electrical, such as the tcm wiring.

Mozambiquer

TDI

And a used transmission locally is $1200-2000 or reman for 5k if the transmission is bad, I'd probably go with a manual swap.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
for the cost of a semi major repair (~ 1500-2500) some people would rather go into hawk for a new vehicle $30,000. which makes no sense, if all it provides is transportation, must be the new car smell or status...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Or there's me who went on copart and bought an expedition for $800 so I could have something to tow my car home. [emoji16]
There's no way I'm going to buy a new car with how much those things cost! [emoji51] Most cars cost more than I paid for my house and land! No thanks! I'll keep my hooptie!

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
the orphan passat sold 3 wks ago. it had suffered some major body work and was showing rust from first owner neglect. ran solid but i was happy to see it go, now on the hunt for a replacement, considering 11-14 golf, 04/05 golf or passat, all must be tdi. the 05 passat has a major attraction, due to the power output potential with a simple tune, downside is cam, bsm and trans.

found a number of 2012-2015 golfs mostly with low km, i want one with high km and lower price. the attraction is more reliable engine, even though the egr & DEF are worrysome, but are fixable . must have straight body no rust.

what would you do?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Eventually I'm wanting to get a Q7 TDI, since the family is growing. Most of the 2009+ TDI cars I've seen for sale are low mile, mostly because of the buy back, and they're fixing them and putting then back in circulation. In our area you can get a fairly nice one with less than 100k miles for $4-6k I've got another car, a mk4 Golf tdi which I'm getting ready to build. They're going for the same amount as the newer ones though!

Mozambiquer

TDI
So, I brought my car home and connected vag-com. No TCM communications. I spent a while diagnosing, checking powers and grounds, load testing all the wires, there was no corrosion on the TCM wiring. Then I finally determined that the can wires were shorting to the TCM case. I removed the case and communications were restored. I've driven over 100 miles like that now with no problem, I do have a new tcm coming though which is supposed to come in today. So, that wasn't it's last trip.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
So, I brought my car home and connected vag-com. No TCM communications. I spent a while diagnosing, checking powers and grounds, load testing all the wires, there was no corrosion on the TCM wiring. Then I finally determined that the can wires were shorting to the TCM case. I removed the case and communications were restored. I've driven over 100 miles like that now with no problem, I do have a new tcm coming though which is supposed to come in today. So, that wasn't it's last trip.

Nice work

Mozambiquer

TDI
Update on my Passat. It's still running great! I actually still have the original TCM in there, minus the case. I just never put my replacement one in.
I got a set of the euro style wide angle mirrors, since the drivers side mirror came off while I was driving down the road.
Then I got a nice little dent in the passenger side rear door, when a deer decided that it wanted to run into the side of the car. Thankfully he didn't run in front!
I've got had to do any mechanical work on it lately, just oil changes and regular maintenance.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I've been driving the wagon for over a year now, it's been fun for sure. I have been getting not much more than 30 mpgs though, so I decided I wanted to try a few things to see if I could get that up any. I just adjusted the torsion value to get the lowest liters per hour it could do, then I also "adjusted" the maf sensor so that it would see the specified maf, and not know that the egr doesn't flow anymore. To do that, I removed the screws from the maf sensor and rotated it while watching live data until actual and specified were close. We'll see what that does for now. I want to do some coding in the ccm to unlock the hatch whenever the doors are unlocked, but that'll wait for another day.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I mess with mostly B5.5 TDI's. I'm driving a manual converted wagon now and love it. Let me know if you need any B5.5 parts or cars.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I mess with mostly B5.5 TDI's. I'm driving a manual converted wagon now and love it. Let me know if you need any B5.5 parts or cars.
I do all different diesels, but really kinda like the wagon. I wish it was manual, but my wife likes driving an automatic better, so I have my 5 speed golf.
I'll let you know if I think of anything I need. I can't think of anything off the bat.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I got a rc1.5 tuned ecm from a forum member, and got it installed in my Passat. The power is up, and no more check engine light.
Today I also found that the driver side sunroof drain was disconnected... I found it was easiest to pull the door to reconnect it. Hopefully that stops the wet floors... The ccm was acting weird, and so I pulled the carpet. The module was dry, but the ground wire was having a bad connection.
I also coded the module so the hatch is unlocked when the doors are. That is SO nice!

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Can you just switch the ECM without affecting the immobilizer?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Can you just switch the ECM without affecting the immobilizer?
The ecm I got was immobilizer deleted, so, in this case, yes and no. It affects the immobilizer in that it no longer works.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Well, I have just gone down the hole... Just brought two more 2005 tdi passat wagons home yesterday... I'll have to get a photo of all three wagons together..

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
I'm really happy to pass these two on to a young person who can do what's needed for these beauties. I wish we had recorded the parade of three Passat wagons leaving the neighborhood. What a rare sight!

Happy driving and wrenching, Seth!

Mozambiquer

TDI
I'm really happy to pass these two on to a young person who can do what's needed for these beauties. I wish we had recorded the parade of three Passat wagons leaving the neighborhood. What a rare sight!

Happy driving and wrenching, Seth!
I'm quite happy with them, and now it goes to the question of which one we want to keep, and which ones to sell...

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
Well, I have just gone down the hole... Just brought two more 2005 tdi passat wagons home yesterday... I'll have to get a photo of all three wagons together..
The 5.5 wagons are addictive. We have two, one since new and one recent acquisition, just back on the road after an engine swap. One manual, the other auto. Now I need to resist looking for a 3rd.

Mozambiquer

TDI
The 5.5 wagons are addictive. We have two, one since new and one recent acquisition, just back on the road after an engine swap. One manual, the other auto. Now I need to resist looking for a 3rd.
I'll have one to sell... 😂

Mozambiquer

TDI

The passats! I had our detailing guy polish the headlights on the blue one and then serviced and changed the seeping valve cover gasket. Camshaft still looks decent for 200k+ miles on the original one, though the chamfering is worn down a bit. I'll be taking it to upstate New York this weekend, then hope to take it on the tail of the dragon on the way back.