Passat Diesel 2013 Slow at Take off

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
why don't you recalibrate all of the injectors at the same time?

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Ok, so drove to work, scanned and got P1007 again (torque diff cylinder 4 limit value exceeded) and P0272 still there, fuel injector #4 contribution/ balance fault.

Yea, i guess i can do a lite reset on all. Just thought i mess with ones giving a fault code.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Also, i hear a light buzzin, humming sound when radio off amd no other noise than engine running. Want to say it's the fuel pump. Is normal to be able to hear the fuel pump?

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Maybe because diesel is low. I will have to refill and see.

I will keep chewing on this injector issue, but also noticed in my extended warranty that the adblue heater is covered thru 2023. I didn't even know there was a heater. Given the symptoms of car malfunctioning when cold and working fine after gets warm, could it be a heater issue?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Bad injectors are a known issue, I've read here that they are usually replaced as a set if one is bad.

ive

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I don't think your issues are ad-blue, or ad-blue heater, related at all. If the Dieselgate extended warranty on your car covers injectors (I think so) and you are getting codes related to injectors (which you say you are) why not have the dealer resolve your issues for you at no charge? I would call a service advisor first and describe what is going on and see what they say. If they say not covered under extended warranty, call another dealer and push back hard if injector related failures are covered.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
As to the buzzing fuel pump, amount of fuel in tank shouldn't make difference. The pump shouldn't be noticeable normally. they tend to get noisy as they start to fail.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Well, i put in different values for injector 4. Drove and still same. When cold, stumbles in 3rd and 4th gear. When warm, runs like champ. No fault codes. When i put original values back in, it makes no difference. It's like i can put in any bs values for injector and makes no difference.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I don't think your issues are ad-blue, or ad-blue heater, related at all. If the Dieselgate extended warranty on your car covers injectors (I think so) and you are getting codes related to injectors (which you say you are) why not have the dealer resolve your issues for you at no charge? I would call a service advisor first and describe what is going on and see what they say. If they say not covered under extended warranty, call another dealer and push back hard if injector related failures are covered.
Ok will look further into diesel gate.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dieselgate definately covers injectors and lift pump although lift pump has to completely fail to get replaced

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Yes, same thing. Just looked it up. With vagcom i can turn pump on and off so working ok. I filled tank and can still hear pump, but ever so slightly compared to when tank was low. I just don't know if pump getting ready to go out and or fuel injector bad , explain why only in cold start and cold drive symptoms appear.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I had issues with 2 of my injectors - I think cylinders 1 and 3. The dealer replaced both under the extended (dieselgate) emissions warranty. They wouldn't do anything if there were no codes, though. Early on, I cleared the codes and only one came back right away. The dealer replaced that injector, but wouldn't touch the other one until the code showed up. It took about 3 or 4 weeks and then the code came back for the other cylinder and then they replaced that one.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. I am looking at a letter I got from VW dated May 2017 regarding the emissions recall (# 23U4), and it says in black and white:
"The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: . . . The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators." That covers your issues.

It also says in black and white that VW will replace these components "at no cost to you" and that "If the warranty service is expected to take longer than three hours, VW must provide a loaner vehicle. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners." It could not be clearer. Go forth to a dealer.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Yes. I agree and found same info online. Thank you. Also read in another thread that these symptoms were quite common in 2014, 2015 and so on. Apparently there was a software update recall and some.report that issues were fixed and others that it didn't make difference. Some owners don't consider it a big deal, while to others symptoms are annoying.

Last night before leaving work to go home, i did another reset to injector 4. I put back original values and car drove fine. However, because i had already driven it three hours prior, ot wasn't really a cold start and drive. This morning i took it for a spin and i must say i didn't notice the symptoms. If they were there, they were so slight that i didnt notice. I did pour an injector cleaner and filled tank yesterday. I will keep an eye on it, and take it in right away if symptoms return.

The thing now though, there no fault codes, so hopefully fault codes will reappear if symptoms do.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may be more apparent that fuel has been part if not all of your problem as when you have added fresh fuel the problem alleviates.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Lift pump, you mean fuel pump?
Lift pump = the one inside the fuel tank

HPFP = high pressure fuel pump = fuel pump = the one by the engine bay, driven by the timing belt

You car has both a lift pump, and a HPFP

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Symptoms back this morning. Will be taking in to dealer. Only thing now is fault code not coming up. I think i may get fault code to come up with vcds.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Good plan. But, you should probably wait to take it in until after you get a fuel system-related fault code. Otherwise the dealer may say they can't or won't do anything. Too many reports here of dealers trying to wriggle out of warranty obligations. Disgraceful. frankly.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
The only code that came back is the cylinder 4 Torque P0017 . Would this be enough to attribute a fuel system problem?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
I would interpret that as an injector related code, therefore a fuel system fault, therefore covered. I would hope the VW dealer would say so but you might want to check with them. Someone else may have chime in with more experience; I have never had that code or attempted to fix anything regarding the injectors.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
So, left car overnight at dealer. They said they found no fault codes. They did notice the symptoms this morning. They recommend letting car warm up before driving. That's that. I didn't want to let them know i have been scanning with vcds as I'm worried might void warranty.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Don't worry, scanning doesn't void the warranty. My personal experience with the injector issue (P1004 for me) was this:

When cold, the symptoms would occur around 3-4th gear. Easing through it until the car warmed up resulted in no issues or codes. If pushed at the time of issue, car would almost buck back and forth. This would at least cause a pending code, if not set off the MIL. My dealer said as long as there was a pending code, they could still get VW to pay for the warranty work.

jhort

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Hello all. I know this is an old thread but thought I go full circle and maybe help peeps with same issues. The problem never went away with all things done to car in previous posts; tyranny oil, fuel filter, etc..Fast forward a year or so later, the bucking got worse,kind of to the point of back firing. Finally, engine light came on. Took to shop under warranty still. Problem was bad fuel injector, I think two of them, just as vcds indicated. Now new injectors, no more bucking, hesitating, lethargic, whether it be morning, cold, etc..just sharing. Key issues here is when took to VW dealer, now engine light was on, even if my own vcds tool indicated what the fault was. Im out of warranty now, but was glad this happenned before and was fixed by dealer for free. Thanks