Passat BHW

mmiklavic94

TDI
2012 Golf, 05 Passat BHW
Looking to buy one for my old lady to travel to and from work she wants to keep miles off her B8.5 A4 and I thought of an older Passat. What’re some things I need to know of the BHW, I currently have a CJAA golf standard trans which she can’t drive.thank you.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Looking to buy one for my old lady to travel to and from work she wants to keep miles off her B8.5 A4 and I thought of an older Passat. What’re some things I need to know of the BHW, I currently have a CJAA golf standard trans which she can’t drive.thank you.
There are several things to know, but the main things are the balance shaft, which should be deleted or converted to geared, then the camshaft is another common problem. Make sure to flush the transmission every 60k miles, or as soon as you get it, since it's probably never been done on most cars. I drive a b5.5 wagon and really like it. It's got plenty of power and gets decent fuel economy, but not as much as an alh. Also, there's the problems with sunroof drains, which should be cleaned, and the drains for the battery tray.

mmiklavic94

TDI
2012 Golf, 05 Passat BHW
There are several things to know, but the main things are the balance shaft, which should be deleted or converted to geared, then the camshaft is another common problem. Make sure to flush the transmission every 60k miles, or as soon as you get it, since it's probably never been done on most cars. I drive a b5.5 wagon and really like it. It's got plenty of power and gets decent fuel economy, but not as much as an alh. Also, there's the problems with sunroof drains, which should be cleaned, and the drains for the battery tray.
Thank you, so the car has 160k on it and it’s a one owner, it’s been Vw dealer maintained it’s entire life. The car hasn’t even left the state of Florida so rust or corrosion isn’t an issue. How much of a pain would the balance shaft delete be can it be done with the engine in the car?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thank you, so the car has 160k on it and it’s a one owner, it’s been Vw dealer maintained it’s entire life. The car hasn’t even left the state of Florida so rust or corrosion isn’t an issue. How much of a pain would the balance shaft delete be can it be done with the engine in the car?
If You look in the B5 Passat section, there's a how to. It's a fairly involved job, but can be done with the engine in the car. There are also shops that know how to do it and do it often, depending on your mechanical abilities. Not sure who up your direction, but there's also a list of shops in the B5 section of the forum

Mozambiquer

TDI
I’am trying she’s getting better but not confident on her own...
I know how that is. My wife drives the Passat, because it's an automatic. When we first got married, I only had stick shifts, and she made do, but didn't want to go into town on her own.