Passat B4 mirror fell off

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
My daughter shut the passenger side door today and the mirror (glass) fell off and obviously broke. The black rubbery liner, or whatever it is, is still there. Will I be able to glue another one onto the black thing or need to pop the whole thing out? Where is the good place to buy a mirror for this car? Thanks.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I don't know the best/correct way, but the one I got from a auto parts chain and it came with double sided tape. Held it on there for years, but the heater element wasn't in contact with the glass. That was the only part that didn't work.

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
If you have an autowrecker nearby then you can pull off the mirror from another Passat. You will need a wide blade screwdriver to go behind the mirror plastic backing and pop the mirror housing off. There are two connections that heat the mirror to unplug. If they have one and you have never done it before practice at the autowrecker on the opposite one to make sure you know how to pop it off.

If not you can go to a glass shop and have them cut a mirror for you. Make a cardboard template first for them.

Truckeratlarge

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 97, white
you can get a new mirror from Rock auto $5 . I had to replace mine a few years ago. I think I used black or blue RTV to stick it on as suggested by one of the veterans here. it's been holding well for 3 years. The heat will transfer thru adequately.

ALSO!!! get the other one re-glued before it too falls off. They are like headlights. Do them in pairs as they fail together in a relatively short period of time.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
ALSO!!! get the other one re-glued before it too falls off. They are like headlights. Do them in pairs as they fail together in a relatively short period of time.
one of the dumbest things i've ever heard

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
one of the dumbest things i've ever heard
I doubt that, I'm sure you've heard worse.

"Glue" the new mirror on with high temp RTV using an even amount. Put something on the glass and use tape or elastic a to keep pressure on it until dry (4-6 hours minimum). That way the mirror will continue to heat evenly. I buy them from my local glass place but know NAPA can also get them. I prefer to take the having off the car simply to clean the interior housing but it's not critical.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Thank you for advice, when you guys refer to "black RTV" do you mean this?

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
you can get a new mirror from Rock auto $5 . I had to replace mine a few years ago. I think I used black or blue RTV to stick it on as suggested by one of the veterans here. it's been holding well for 3 years. The heat will transfer thru adequately.

I got mine from a local breaking his car down the rock auto piece is junk and doesn't fit at all....

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ask me how I know.....they are nasty and hard to deal with and do not want to take stuff back...also they are on here and don't like negative reviews...
that hasn't been my experience at all ... i had a set of calipers for over a year and they took them back ... and my buddy had a eurovan clutch from rock auto that chattered... he procrastinated on returning it but when he finally did he had no problems at all .... i've found rock auto customer service friendly and accommodating, prices are great too
to the op... if you use copper high temp silicone on the replacement glass it may help with heat transfer from the element .... but all silicone based sealants are "high temp" by nature... just read the packaging ;)

Last edited: