• Server migration complete
    In the early morning of September 26, 2020, our migration to new servers was completed.
    Things seem to be working as expected, but if you notice any issues including not receiving email notifications,
    please vistit this thread for more details

Passat aftermarket exhaust

biged681985

TDI
09 Jetta

QuickTD

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Audi A4Q 5spd 2.0 TDI 2056VK R783, 2006 Audi A4Q 6spd 2.0 TDI
Stock exhaust is good for 170+ hp. What level of tune are you running?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
You wont find much info on dyno tunes of small displacement turbo diesels on competing exhausts.

You will find info on dyno runs on small displacement turbo gassers like the Hondas B series engines.

Usually on a small engine (4 cyl) you put bigger exhaust on to increase top end power with a sacrifice of bottom end torque. Id be willing to bet without a better spooling/more efficient turbo swap plus tune youd end up with the same on your BHW.

As for the mandrel vs crush bend pipes usually the dyno results of say 2.5 tubing were not all that different. The biggest difference is in weight savings when comparing stainless to say titanium$$$$.

The turbo is essentially a muffler compared to a non turbo engine but with diesels I've noticed a drone at certian rpms which increases once a muffler is removed. The question is would you be happy with what little gains mit may or may not get you at the expense of a tractor sounding motor.

biged681985

TDI
09 Jetta
I’m currently running the buzzken Dow pipe, cat was bad, constantly smelled like rotten eggs when idling.

Main reason for wanting to replace is that they have 300k on the resonator and muffler. Figure with that many miles, they are probably a but clogged and restricting flow.

Coming from someone who drives nothing but diesels, the sound of a small diesel motor won’t bother me at all.

ruSSrt

TDI
Hey guys. I'm curious if it's worth for me buying a whole new exhaust or should I just do a muffler delete? I want to get a little more sound out of my B5.5 2.0 tdi wagon, but I drive a lot on freeway and don't want the drone (I do love my podcasts). Would deleting a muffler get me a better exhaust flow with little more turbo diesel sound. Or should I get resonator and cat out also to get any benefits?

50harleyrider

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
After market exhausts are always prone to annoying drone. I agree to avoid them unless your looking at mods to get over 200hp. The BHW does quite well with a bigger turbo and tune only. VW did a lot to keep exhaust noise low from the factory without being to prone to back pressure.

ruSSrt

TDI
After market exhausts are always prone to annoying drone. I agree to avoid them unless your looking at mods to get over 200hp. The BHW does quite well with a bigger turbo and tune only. VW did a lot to keep exhaust noise low from the factory without being to prone to back pressure.
Would you recommend just cutting of the muffler and leaving it like that? Would I get a little better tune out of exhaust? Skittles turbo whistle?

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
I removed the catalytic converter on mine, it makes it whistle a lot more. It's still stock from the downpipe back. I've thought about going with something else, as I know it's not very noisy at all even with no muffler. I had the down pipe off and pulled it in and out of the shop, and it was actually still pretty quiet.

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
Was it difficult to get to?? How does one take it off? Saws-all?
Yes, it was a bit difficult, but not the worse. Having the egr cooler already deleted helped. I pulled the flange off at the turbo, then the one below the catalytic converter. I pulled the exhaust apart at the junction below and had a lot of fun getting to the lower cat bolts. Then I wiggled that out and took it to the exhaust shop to get a piece bent that would fit in there. You could just gut the cat, but I wanted the extra space there, and didn't want the bottleneck.