Passat acting out.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Hello everyone I am in need of some insight regarding my 2013 Passat TDI with CKRA (Car has 131k miles). Yesterday while driving i got the check engine light however the car performed normally for the remaining of the drive. Once I got home the regen kicked in and I also decided to leave let the car to cool down since I had to go back to work. Later in the evening I decided to go and read the codes with VCDS and while I was doing that the car started acting out. I did not start the car while I was reading the codes and just had it turned on and after about 5 minutes all the lights started flickering and it started acting like the battery was going down. At that moment the car also would not start. I proceed to remove the battery and put it on the charge for 5-10 minutes (Batter is 3 years old) and after that I was able to start the car. I was also able to read the codes and I got 9 different codes which I am posting below. I end up clearing the codes and car is now back to normal, no more battery sort of issues, no more lights flickering and CEL has not come back on. I ran the car last for a while to see if the battery will die and it did not. My wife took the car to work this morning and so far its been good. I am assuming that the codes might come back after 100 miles.

In that case I wanted to check with fellow forum members if anyone had similar issues with their NMS Passat's. Also quick search pointed to couple things, EGR Valve and Heater core (dealer replaced 2 heater cores since I owned the car). I checked heat last night and it is working out of all of the vents. Also yesterday was a really hot day in Atlanta and dash was reading 100f so not sure if that has anything to do with all these codes popping up. My extended warranty just ended so dealer is out of the picture at this moment. Any help or suggestions or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I am adding the VCDS scan codes.

9 Faults Found:

9054 - EGR Temperature Sensor 1
P040C 00 [00100000] - Signal too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

8215 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
P2457 00 [11101101] - Insufficient Cooling Performance
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 210654 km
Date: 2127.14.31
Time: 08:53:10

Engine RPM: 2157.00 /min
Normed load value: 66.3 %
Vehicle speed: 114 km/h
Coolant temperature: 100 C
Intake air temperature: 47 C
Ambient air pressure: 970 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.100 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Sensor for engine block temperature: raw value: 99.9 C
Exhaust gas temperature sensor 4: 337.4 C
Exhaust mass flow of low-pressure EGR: 56.6 kg/h
Temp sensor for low-pressure EGR after cooler: raw value: 192.5 C
Low-pressure EGR cooling: model temperature: 170.8 C
Low-pressure EGR cooling: request status-Bits 0-7: 1
Low-pressure EGR cooling: request status-Bits 0-7: 255

7925 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug
P06C5 00 [01100000] - Incorrect Installation

7926 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug
P06C6 00 [01100000] - Incorrect Installation

7927 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug
P06C7 00 [01100000] - Incorrect Installation

7928 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug
P06C8 00 [01100000] - Incorrect Installation

15733 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [01100000] - Efficiency too Low

17262 - Terminal 30
U140A 00 [00100000] - Open Circuit
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]

4629 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
P068A 00 [00100000] - Opens Too Early

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
First, spurious codes are an issue with a battery with low voltage. You need to remove and recharge the battery on a charger until it is fully recharged. Hours long probably not 5 or 10 minutes. If it was that low you are either short tripping it a bunch or there is a charging issue. Figure that out and deal with it.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
First, spurious codes are an issue with a battery with low voltage. You need to remove and recharge the battery on a charger until it is fully recharged. Hours long probably not 5 or 10 minutes. If it was that low you are either short tripping it a bunch or there is a charging issue. Figure that out and deal with it.
Thank you for reply. Yesterday I got another check engine light after about 80ish miles. It was only one p2457. Battery seems to be fine now, I checked with VCDS and it is being charged. Searching more the code it seems that heater core is plugged (again).

K5FAL

TDI
2014 Passat
My heater core has been replaced 3x in its 94k life.

Someone stole all of the emissions stuff off this car recently but they were nice enough to flash the computer to accept the changes. Can you believe that? I’m hoping it solved the heater core issues but I have no idea. I’ve never been a “car guy” until I bought this.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Someone stole all of the emissions stuff off this car recently but they were nice enough to flash the computer to accept the changes. Can you believe that?
WOW, so sorry for your loss! Hopefully they resold the DPF/cat to a scapper and sent you a check with the profits.