Passat 1/Deer 0

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well, Varmit Deer decided to try and cross eastbound I-70 this morning at about 5:30 as i was going down South Mountain between Hagerstown and Frederick MD. It made it as far as getting it's head & neck out into the fast lane, where I clipped it doing 75.

Car's driving fine, I'll try to get some clearer pictures when the sun comes out.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I dunno about easy fix. Looks like it got the hood, bumper, headlight, fender, and door. Who knows about under the hood.

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
tomo366 said:
Damn........I will be driving that road tomorrow going to Ill
That looks like an easy fix.......
Glad you are OK!
Thanks, hope you have a safe trip, sorry for the reason.

Joester said:
I dunno about easy fix. Looks like it got the hood, bumper, headlight, fender, and door. Who knows about under the hood.
That about covers it, including the lower valence with the fog light. Haven't been daring enough to pop the hood. I believe it will close just fine but didn't want to risk it at work and then have issues trying to get the car back home.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Sorry to hear/see that Bill. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do, but glad you're all right. Good luck in getting it fixed.

TheGrove

TDI
Thanks for the best wishes.

Found a couple more problems and decided the car's going to park until it gets fixed.

Tried to kick the A/C on this evening and it won't blow cold air, that wouldn't have parked it but when I stopped later to get my dry cleaning I noticed a cut in the tread on the front tire about 1/3" in from the sidewall. Pretty deep cut and there was what looked like a rub mark a couple inches away from it as well. Just don't like the idea of a catastrophic failure driving down the interstate. Needed a new set anyhow but they can now wait until after the repair.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Where it hit it is near the intercooler, so make sure that the hoses etc are not harmed. Pesky things....I know JUST how you feel bill. My car clobbered a deer when I first got it. At that time the car had a mere 2700 miles on it. GRRRRRRRRRR! At that time back in 2005, the repair came to $5500 IIRC.

TheGrove

TDI
I'm sure the hoses will be checked out. I didn't have any boost problems when I drove it Tuesday & Wednesday.

The estimate from the insurance company was $3,500. We'll see if it doesn't grow from there. Both the adjuster and myself wouldn't be surprised to find some more damage once the body shop starts working on it.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my case I had to have the hood, grill, radiator, AC condensor, composite radiator support, bumper, bumper cover, headlight replaced. Fender had to to be tweaked straight.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know the shop did fine work because Oilhammer found only one wire out of the proper factory location when he did my balance shaft. Of course he fixed that...

TheGrove

TDI
leicaman said:
In my case I had to have the hood, grill, radiator, AC condensor, composite radiator support, bumper, bumper cover, headlight replaced. Fender had to to be tweaked straight.
That's in mine as well - except for the radiator and A/C Condenser. Couldn't see the condenser to see if it was broken or not, but the adjuster said that was a real possibility and would cover anything found once the shop had it apart.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wow, sorry Bill. At least you were not hurt and the car can be fixed. Stupid deer, I had one take my B2000 from me after 404k miles (deer + Japanese truck = lots of crumpled tin foil :( ).

We need more wolves.... :cool:

I am going to make a venison burger tonight in vengance... :D

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
oilhammer said:
Wow, sorry Bill. At least you were not hurt and the car can be fixed. Stupid deer, I had one take my B2000 from me after 404k miles (deer + Japanese truck = lots of crumpled tin foil :( ).

We need more wolves.... :cool:

I am going to make a venison burger tonight in vengance... :D
lol:D

TheGrove

TDI
Thanks everyone - yep we need more wolves and venison burgers!

I'll keep you posted as it progresses. Got an e-mail that the insurance company cut the check and mailed it to me. Tomo was a great pal and found a place that has the smoked bumper marker lens so I forwarded the website on to the body shop. I'll drop the car of on Sunday so they can start on it Monday.