Parts Swappability...?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
How do the newer models (Jetta/Passat) handle parts swapping.....brakes/suspension....as the previous generation? It seems the prior generation Jetta/Passat would accept GTI/GLI brakes and other suspension components easily (Porsche/Audi parts as well). I know there are aftermarket big brake/sway bar setups but OEM quality some times can be preferred. Just curious for if/when I upgrade my 06 Jetta/TDI to something newer.....basically planning ahead for some mods. :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'll need to narrow it down better.

Your 2006 is an A5 platform, still a Golf with a trunk.

The Jetta sedan continued this way through the 2010 model year, then in 2011 the NCS Jetta came out, which is very different, and even then the NCS had variations upon itself that changed as the years progressed, mainly the rear suspension and brakes. The Jetta Wagon continued on the A5 platform through 2014.

The B6 Passat, which came out in 2006, is essentially a bloated A5 platform, COMPLETELY different than the B5 it replaced. The NMS Passat came out in 2012, and is completely different again.

Both the NCS Jetta and NMS Passat are primarily designed with the North American market in mind, and therefor perhaps do not lend themselves as easily to performance minded modifications as the Golf does. There are no Audi branded versions of the NCS or NMS either. They do share a handful of parts and/or basic design layouts with other VAG platforms, though. So some changes may be able to be performed, and there are some aftermarket items available for them. I just don't think that side will be as strong for those as some other models.

Since there is a GLI trim version of the NCS Jetta, though, it stands to reason that at least those parts could be swapped on to a TDI powered NCS without too much difficulty. And if the VR6 NMS Passat has bigger brakes, those may be able to be swapped.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
You're right...sorry. I would be looking mostly at a 2015 Passat....maybe a 2015 Jetta as well. Thxs!

Side note: Looking at VWOA online tech details it looks like the largest brakes come on the 2017 Golf GTI at 13.4/1.2 front and 12.2/.9 rear IIRC?