Part under hood causing throttle limp mode.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Asked this on another post a while back but nobody ever said where or what it is. Just there is something under the hood that when wet causes the throttle pedal limp mode. It happened today in hard rain but I was stopped and didn't go thru any see water or anything. Anybody can help me find out what it is and where it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think it's gotta be the wiring or connecter to the TPS. Find where it passes thru the firewall, probably have to unwrap some bundle to find it. I'm guessing it's not true limp mode but the TPS signal is getting corrupted.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I think it's gotta be the wiring or connecter to the TPS. Find where it passes thru the firewall, probably have to unwrap some bundle to find it. I'm guessing it's not true limp mode but the TPS signal is getting corrupted.

So there isnt anything under the hood itself that can get wet? I consider the whole pedal signal thing a type of limp mode myself.

As far as the connector, is it only the one on the pedal itself or is there another one under the hood to check?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't know where it goes, but there is a connect on the other end, I'd guess ECU. Look at the wiring diagram.
I don't believe there is anything under the hood that can't take some water, that's why the guess is a compromised wire or connection.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Thanks. Guess I'll be inspecting around the Ecu harness when my chips from Malone come in. If anybody reads this and knows of any connectors under the hood to check let me know.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Where is this harness I'm looking for at on a beetle? Did a little looking around and don't see anything.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
More than likely has nothing to do with water.

Have the car scanned - run a log of requested boost vs actual and properly diagnose your limp mode issue (assuming you are low on power at times).

Don't guess - guesses get real expensive on these cars.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What are your symptoms? As far as I know, "throttle" pedal limp would be a high idle and inactive pedal.

Is that what you've got?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
What are your symptoms? As far as I know, "throttle" pedal limp would be a high idle and inactive pedal.

Is that what you've got?

Yea. And the code to go with the pedal. Planned on checking the grounds behind the engine this morning but last night my other car crapped on me so I had to ride 45miles in a tow truck to get it to the dealer today. Guess we will see Thursday.