parking brake stuck, help!

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Out away from home. Had p.b. Set and the lever is loose letting it go. It sounds/feels like it would tighten/untighten a ckick or two at the top but that's it. Loose and diesnt feel like any pressure lettting it go from the top 90% of the way down. What do I look for to release this or get it off?

Drove small way to find a place to sleep. Smells like hot brakes and they're wearing hot to touch.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
No clue if this applies to your car, but my Beetle's cables will freeze up if wet and below freezing temp. I found that just by grabbing the cable at the wheel and give is a good wiggle, it will free up. No longer use PB in freezing temps.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
If you look at the calipers from the rear you can see if the cable has released or not by looking if the lever is resting on it's stop or not.
If it's not against the stop you can push/hit it with something until it is, don't apply the hb until you're back home after that!

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Been driving and messing around with the cables. It slacked offa bit, and finallymore. I cant feel it grabbing anymore and moves freely, but still smells a bit. Going to go back out to try and free up all the way.

What's the suggestion to fix this? Cable replacement?

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
Years ago at the same problem with my parking brakes. It end up being a crack in the line that froze up at night from moisture so the cable would not release. I ended up changing the brake line and that fixed the problem.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I've had had to spray some rust penetrant into/onto the lever pivots at the disk and hammer it back and fourth a few times to get mine to release. Follow up with wd-40/lube/butter if you'd like. Works like new ever since.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I've had had to spray some rust penetrant into/onto the lever pivots at the disk and hammer it back and fourth a few times to get mine to release. Follow up with wd-40/lube/butter if you'd like. Works like new ever since.
Plus one what he said for me also this past summer.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Once you have it fixed, it's best not to use the PB in the winter at all.