Parking brake boot work-around?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I somehow managed to damage the parking brake cable rubber boot when I was installing the cable about two years ago. The boot I'm referring to is ribbed, about 2'' long, present at the caliper end of the cable, and prevents water (corrosion) and grit from getting to the area of the cable that must slide in and out of its sheath.
I knew the boot was important, and managed to snag one used off the forum (AFAIK you cannot buy them individually--I'd love if someone proved me wrong), but then could not get the boot over the large metal ball at the end of the cable without ripping my replacement boot.
So long story short, I don't have the boot installed on the LR and just tried to dab some thick grease on it.
Went to a car wash yesterday and fairly quickly realized the caliper in question (LR) was sticking, presumably d/t ice.
So my question is: Has anybody devised a work around to keeping moisture/grit out without having to buy and install another cable? I was thinking of trying heat-shrink tubing?
Also going to get these: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=364603
TIA

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just put a new cable on, cheap and easy. They go bad so often anyways. Also, there is an updated version available (I started a thread on it).

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I see your thread, and your point...but the cable is otherwise practically new (car didn't get driven last winter) and if $30 + an hour outside this time of the year could be saved by an effective and simple solution...