Park Distance Control (Factory Installed)

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I found this little information booklet about Park Distance Control in the owner's manual of the 2002 Golf TDI that I rented at Zürich airport this week. This particular car did not have PDC system installed, just the booklet in the owner’s manual.

To give you a very brief translation of what it says:

- PDC comes on automatically when you put the car in reverse. The system will make a beep when you put the car in reverse to signal that the system has activated.

- If you take the car out of reverse, the system deactivates.

- The system has an aural warning only. It will start to beep intermittently when it detects an object that is within 1.2 meters (1.2 yards) of the back bumper of the car. The frequency of the beeping increases as you get closer to the object.

- If it detects an object within 30 cm (1 foot) of the back bumper, it makes a steady tone.

- If you backup faster than 15 km/h (10 mph) the system is not entirely reliable. At any speed, it will not detect an object that is not within the range of the sensors (for example, a thin vertical object such as a fencepost).

- The sensors don’t work if they are covered with ice. If you steam-clean the outside of the car, keep the steam away from the sensors.

The information in the gray shaded box is just the usual warnings for the benefit of idiots and lawyers, suggesting you still use your eyes to see if there are any children behind the car, etc.

I have done some preliminary research about purchasing the parts needed to retrofit this system. It appears that the retrofit would be pretty simple, the system consists of 4 sensors, a wiring harness, a beeper, and a control unit. It probably gets electricity from the backup light circuit, since it is only activated when reverse is selected.

Total parts price looks like it will be about € 160 or so, for the wiring harness, beeper, and control unit. I still need to find out if the wiring harness includes the sensors or not. I’ll post the EKTA printouts once I get access to a scanner.

I have spent a fair amount of time looking for a Golf that has this option installed, and have not found one yet. It does not seem to be a commonly ordered option.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Michael - I just got the email today, the parts are on the way. I have the schematics, and it won't be difficult to setup. I'll post more information when the stuff arrives.

A note on PDC (park Disctance Control), I have it on my BMW and it has saved more than a few scratched bumpers...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Michael,

The information I have with part numbers seems to add up to alot more than that.

I'd be interested in this if we can get the parts for a good price.

L

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
from what i have been told by my UK dealer contact, all the parts are available separately (only), meaning that the sensors are not bundled with the wiring harness.

I guesstimate all the parts together would go for around $430.

paternos@att.net

Sooty

Veteran Member
It doesn’t cost a penny to look where you are going, why bother with a idiot scanner.

Something you may want to take into consideration is that I’ve heard it’s not unusual for kids to stick chewing gum over the sensors which effectively disables the system as it thinks there is a fault.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Sooty:

I heard about that problem too, but the guy who told me about it said that as long as I keep the car away from your kids, I wouldn't have any problems with the chewing gum.

[ March 04, 2002, 08:45: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are the prices I have so far for the Park Distance Control components:

1J0 919 279 Warning Tone Speaker (noisemaker) € 9.00
1J0 919 283 Computer control for system € 71.60
1J6 971 085B Wiring Harness at rear bumper €63.70

I have been unable to find a Golf or Jetta that has this system installed on it. I will try to get more information later in the week.

The ultrasonic sensors have the following part numbers:

1J0 919 275 Ultrasonic sensor
1U0 919 659 Attachment ring
1J6 919 491 Holder for Ultrasonic Sensor

There are some other miscellaneous parts such as the holder for the computer control, 1J0 919 283, € 2.00, but I think all these other parts are nickel and dime items.

Parts List – PDC

Here is a link to a better quality copy of the above image, in Acrobat PDF format: EKTA 919-20 PDC Components.pdf

Parts List (closeup detail) – PDC

Here is a link to a better quality copy of the above image, in Acrobat PDF format: EKTA 972-32 PDC Bumper

I would appreciate it very much if someone in the USA or Canada would check with a local VW dealer and see if any of these parts - especially the ultrasonic sensors - are available in North America. If one of the fancier Audis (A6 or A8) comes with PDC in North America, then probably the Audi will use the same part numbers, meaning, we don't have to import these parts from Europe.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Michael,

Here's the partnumbers that I have. This is for placing the sensors in the back of a 4 motion spoiler.

1) 1J0-919-279 WARNING BUZZER SENDER
2) 1J0-919-283 PARKING AID CONTROL UNIT
3) 1J9-971-501-E BRACKET FOR PARKING AID CONTROL UNIT
4) 1J5-919-491, BRACKET FOR ULTRASONIC SENSOR <3 needed>
4a)1J5-919- 491A BRACKET FOR ULTRASONIC SENSOR <1 needed>
5) 1J5-971-085-B WIRING HARNESS FOR ULTRASONIC SENSOR
6) 1U0-919-659 SEALING WASHER FOR SEMSOR <4 needed>
7) 1J0-919-275-B ULTRASONIC SENSOR <4 needed>

The sensors ARE available in the United states, you just have to order them for an Audi A4, A6, or A8.

Also, There is a Stamping mark in the trunk floor behind the Right trim panel that matches the size and location for the grommet in the PDC harness. I will keep everyone posted as the the progress.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
More information about the parts required:

First, below is an English language parts listing. It contains all the parts mentioned in the two EKTA photos above, except the descriptions are in English this time. I am a bit confused about part (7), “aerial booster”. What does this system need an aerial booster for? The only thing I can guess (really wild guess here) is that perhaps the warning tone sender (buzzer) mounts up in the roof, near the antenna? Does anyone have any better information?

Second, below is a illustration from the EKTA showing the different styles of rear spoiler (commonly called a ‘valence’ in North America) for the Golf. Leaving out the one at the bottom for a Golf Station Wagon (“Estate”), it seems there are two that could be used with the PDC = one is for a normal Golf, 1J6 807 433, the other for a Golf 4Motion, 1J6 807 433 A. I am guessing that the 4Motion one has a cutout in it to allow for exhaust pipes. Does anyone know if these spoilers fit directly onto a North American rear bumper without problems?

I will get the prices for these parts tomorrow.

Park Distance Control Parts Listing – English (matches German language diagrams above)

Here is a link to a better quality copy of the above image, in Acrobat PDF format: EKTA 919-20 PDC Components English text

Rear Spoiler (“Valence”) parts listing, showing choices for Golf IV

Here is a link to a better quality copy of the above image, in Acrobat PDF format: EKTA 972-32 PDC Bumper.pdf

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Michael Moore:
I am a bit confused about part (7), “aerial booster”. What does this system need an aerial booster for? The only thing I can guess (really wild guess here) is that perhaps the warning tone sender (buzzer) mounts up in the roof, near the antenna? Does anyone have any better information?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">THe #7 Booster is for the AV/Telematics option on the NAV system according to my schematics. as for the rear valance, 4 Motion valances will fit US-Spec vehicles, but they require minor "adjusting" to go around the rear tow hook. Other than that they are a direct fit.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Found a VW with the Park Distance Control installed, below are pictures of the sensors.

Also got back to the dealer and got the parts prices clarified. The wiring harness does not include the 4 sensors. I ordered the whole kit, here are all the parts that were ordered, and the descriptions and prices.

For the benefit of the many people who have written me to ask if I can buy them parts, look up parts numbers, etc., the answer is no, I can’t. If there is an interesting project going on here on the BB, and it would fit the car I own (a 2002 Golf), then I will do my best to get as much information as I can and share it here for the benefit of others, even if I don’t buy or install the project myself. But I cannot buy parts for others, organize group buys, or look up part numbers for other vehicles. I have been swamped with requests to do this by direct email, and I am sorry, I just don’t have the time to do it.

Park Distance Control Sensors on ‘regular’ Golf rear spoiler (“valence”)

Close-up of Sensor

Parts List Needed for Complete Install

4 ultrasonic sensors, 1J0 919 275B, total € 172.60 (for all 4).
4 sealing washers, 1U0 919 659, total € 3.28
4 brackets for ultrasonic sensors, 1J6 919 491, total € 10.80
1 warning buzzer sender, 1J0 919 279, € 9.00
2 rivets, N 038 505 1, total € 0.52
2 allen key head bolts, N 014 701 8, total € 0.60
1 holder for warning tone sender, 1J6 971 262A, € 2.00
1 parking aid control unit, 1J0 919 283 € 71.60
10 hexagonal nuts, N 909 472 01, total € 1.30
1 rear spoiler designed to hold ultrasonic sensors, 1J6 807 433 colour B41 satin black, € 39.65 (see note below)
1 wiring harness for sensors, 1J6 971 085 B, € 63.70
10 cable clips to hold wiring harness, N 020 902 2, total € 1.90
Grand total for the whole mess € 376.95 (about US$ 340.00) without tax.

There are two types of rear spoiler (the black thing at the bottom of the rear bumper, commonly called a ‘valence’ on this BB) for Golfs with PDC sensors, excluding the type for Golf Station Wagons. These are: 1J6 807 433 B41, for normal Golfs, and 1J6 807 433 A B41 for the 4Motion with 6 cylinders (has a notch for exhaust pipe). They are both the same price, € 39.65. (About US$ 35.00).

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's another view of the PDC sensors, on a different Volkswagen. Nice to see that they have figured out how to paint over them so they don't stand out like rivets on the bumper.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up all the parts today for the Park Distance Control installation. I now have a new respect for people like SVTWEB, who are the first to try out a European modification. This whole process has been a bit more complicated that I thought it would be.

First, a review of the parts mentioned in the earlier post I made:

Ultrasonic Sensors The sensors are not included with either the wiring harness or the spoiler. They are expensive, € 174.80 for four of them. I do suspect that these could be purchased in North America. They are nothing more than generic Bosch ultrasonic sensors, with a VW connector molded into the side of them. If any of the Audi’s have PDC available, then that is the sensor you want. Note that each sensor comes with (includes) one sealing washer, P/N 1U0 919 659, so there is no need to order these.

There are two part number suffixes for the sensors, “A” and “B”. I ordered 4 “A” sensors, the box said “A” on it, but the sensor inside was labeled “B”. Not sure if this will make any difference or not. The EKTA says that the brackets for ultrasonic sensors also have two different part numbers, one with an ‘A’ suffix and one without. In each case, the idea is that you order three of one kind, and one of another. The odd one is for the left inner position. I think this difference has to do with the plastic molding on the spoiler, not anything to do with the sensing function. I had a look at the spoiler that I ordered, which came with the 4 brackets thermally welded in place. They were all the same part number (1J9 919 491), which is the part number to hold the “B” suffix sensor. On the left inner position of my spoiler, the person assembling it has just mashed the non-conforming bracket into place. Looks like it does not make much difference. But, be careful when you are ordering to make sure that your sensors match your brackets. This is a sizing issue, I think.

Rear Spoiler If you already have a spoiler for a 4Motion Golf, check to see if it has the little tabs molded into the back of it to hold P/N 1J6 919 491, which is the bracket that holds the ultrasonic sensors. If you have these tabs on the inside of your current spoiler, then you don’t need to go to all the trouble of getting a new spoiler with the holes drilled in it for the sensors. Just buy the brackets, install them, and drill your own holes. How big should the holes be? Easy, just measure the diameter of your sensors, and drill them that big. The spoiler itself is very large and the packaging and shipping costs to get it to North America from Europe will be high. I now understand why the aftermarket shops are charging US$ 100 for a part that sells for US$ 35 in Europe. The other $65 must be the freight charge.

If you do order the rear spoiler that is specifically made for the PDC installation, which is P/N 1J6 807 433 B41, then don’t bother ordering the 4 brackets, P/N 1J6 919 491, because they will come attached (thermally welded) to the spoiler.

Warning Buzzer Again, looks pretty generic to me, I am sure it would be available in North America. Made in China, has an Audi logo on it, P/N 1J0 919 279. I have no idea where in the car this buzzer should be mounted.

Springnuts, bolts, cable ties, etc.
All of these – rivet N 038 505 1 (a B5x7,9 springnut), two allen key head bolts N 014 701 8 (bolt code M6X12MK), hex nut N909 472 01 (C5 nut), and the cable ties N 020 902 2 (plain old black cable ties) can be sourced at a local VW dealer – maybe even a local hardware store. No need to order them.

Parking Aid Control UnitAgain, I bet this is the same part used on Audi’s. It is made for VW by VDO, the part number is 1J0 919 283 A. This fits onto a bracket P/N 1J6 971 262 A. These two parts mount on the right hand side of the baggage compartment, according to the wiring diagram. This makes sense also when you look at the wiring harness. The connector on the end of the wiring harness plugs into the twelve pin connector on the control unit. There is also a receptacle for a 16 pin connector on control unit. The 16 pin connector is part of the wiring harness of European (but not North American) Golfs and Jetttas. This means that I will need to go to my local VW dealer in Canada, and hope that he can order the male end of the connector for me. With luck, it will be available as an Audi part. The EKTA diagrams for the PDC do not show the connector that goes into the 16 pin receptacle on the control unit.

Hopefully I can get it all put together sometime next week. To be continued…

Rear Spoiler (same shape as 4Motion Spoiler

Rear Spoiler Details

Ultrasonic Sensors

Wiring Harness

Warning Tone Generator

Don't order these, they come with the ultrasonic sensors

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Worth noting that the cost of all the parts I bought totalled Euro 360.00 net of tax, with taxes, that's almost exactly what Komet estimated earlier in the week (see his post above).

[ March 09, 2002, 09:22: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Now for the $500,000 Answer...

All of the parts for the PDC can be ordered in the US with the exception of the Rear Valance.

The funny thing is the Harness and sensors crossed over to a 2002 Jetta Wagon?!?!?

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I should have known... now, it would really rub salt in the wound if I found out that the parts were cheaper in the US...

For those who want to avoid having to import the one remaining piece (the rear spoiler), here's the size of hole you need to drill in your 4Motion spoiler. My experience drilling holes in ABS parts (on my motorcycle) is that the flat (not round) drill bits that are used for softwood work very well on ABS. Drill a tiny pilot hole first, then use the speed bit to drill the main hole. Works well, leaves a clean finish. Circular (round) drill bits don't work well on ABS, they don't leave a clean, round hole when they punch through.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I'm surprised those parts didn't find their way off your rental Golf, along with the motor, dash, etc

Pretty neat, this place is starting to eclipse vwvortex for mods.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone with a 2002 Jetta Wagon please get a good light, look underneath to the inside of your rear valance/spoiler and see if the "brackets" Michael mentioned are there?

E,

Perhaps this is a FUTURE option? Why would VW bother to make the parts available to North America?

Can someone who might know a person with a 2002 Jetta GLX please look for the same brackets?

Lito

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
One reason why the brackets might be there is that the 2002 Jetta Wagons are supposedly Golf Wagons with Jetta noses (Jolfagons?)
Whether they are Golfs or Jetta, they are made in Germany, and so I'm not surprised that you are getting some hidden "extras". I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the wagons are prewired for front and rear fogs, for example.

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Originally posted by KOMET155:
for what it's worth, i can get the PDC rear valances imported from the UK.

I reckon they'll cost approx 90 + shipping from NJ.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">also, if you look at the back of the pdc buzzer, it says "china" on it below the part number, even though the box it's packaged in says made in germany. I saw this when i got SVTWEB's parts in for him and looked them over before sending them on to him.

strange...

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Komet:

Do you know if it is possible to install a new rear spoiler (valence) on a Golf without having to remove the entire rear bumper assembly?

Michael

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes Micheal, That's how I did nine, it just takes a little of work and a warm day, the palstic tends to have more give if the temp is over 60......

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kommett,

Sent you a question via email, never got a response.

If the 2002 Jetta GLX rear valance/spoiler has the brackets for PDC, then you can get it state side for $50.00 at the dealership.

It has the cut-outs for the muffler tailpipes.

L

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Originally posted by Michael Moore:
Komet:

Do you know if it is possible to install a new rear spoiler (valence) on a Golf without having to remove the entire rear bumper assembly?

Michael
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes, you can, very easily. you have to remove 1 or 2 screws on the underside (below the trunk floor), and 2 screws on the ends where they attach in the wheelwells, then slowly unsnap it from the bumper. start at one end and work across.

that's it.

[ March 11, 2002, 10:00: Message edited by: KOMET155 ]

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Joe and Eric:

Thanks very much for the advice about installing the rear spoiler. I got it installed yesterday, it was not too difficult. Below is a picture of what it looks like on the car.

Rear Spoiler Installed, with PDC sensors in place

I encountered problems getting the spoiler to stay in the retaining clips at the very front on both sides. My dealer said that was not an uncommon problem when spoilers were replaced, and that I would probably need to take the rear wheel well liners out and install a small self tapping screw on the inside of the bumper to hold the frontmost tab on either side in place. Has anyone else encountered this problem when fitting a 4Motion spoiler to their car?

Attachement problem at front edge of spoiler - won't stay in place

I have the wiring diagrams for the whole PDC setup, I have posted them on the Image Server in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, for the use of anyone else who may need them. The diagrams are in German, however, if you have a Bentley manual, just go to the rear light wiring diagrams (in English) and you can figure out 95% of what the components are, without needing to understand German.

PDC Diagram 1 of 4
PDC Diagram 2 of 4
PDC Diagram 3 of 4
PDC Diagram 4 or 4

Heinz, I don't understand what Anhängerbetrieb refers to, on page 3 of the wiring diagram. It appears to be an optional component of some kind. May I trouble you to have a look at this page and let me know if you can figure it out? Gruss, Michael

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the required connector in for the 16 pin portion of the parking aid control unit. There are two connectors on the unit. The wiring harness (noted in the parts list above) plugs into the 12 pin connector. The 16 pin connector is used to hook the control unit up to the car, vis, the buzzer, DC in, ground, control voltage from the backup lights, etc.

The part number for the 16 pin connector is not shown on any of the EKTA diagrams above. The 'ace' parts dude at my dealer got one for me the same day I ordered it - I think it is an Audi part. Note that 9 of the 16 pins are used, therefore, you will also need to buy 5 VW wiring repair wires, the very smallest size (same as used on the 32 pin connectors on the back of the instrument cluster). The repair wires are more expensive than the connector, which only cost US$ 6.

This connector is identified as T16c on the wiring diagram.

Now that I have a scanner, I have scanned the original EKTA printouts that I took the photos of earlier in this thread, and posted a link to the scans, in PDF format, below each picture (see posts dated March 3). So now you don't have to go blind trying to read the text in the picture.

Connecter needed for 16 pin portion of parking aid control unit

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Anhängerbetrieb means If eqquipped with trailer towing.

As for the other harness Michael... I found a US sourced solution. Why make one when they already offer one. It's from a US A4. It has a couple more wires than we need, but it has all the connectors and wires already in place. Cost is aroung $60.

4B1 971 065 A - Harness

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Well-this is pretty cool-but I am wondering if there is an "aftermarket" version that would do basically the same thing-but cost less......anyone know????