Pardon my ignorance..

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
But is the 109 relay, and N109 solenoid the same thing?

Long story short, my car died on me once today, then again about 20 times within 10 miles so I could get home.

Scanned and got the 1538 code which is
Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (N109):

Car would fire right up immediately. No hard cranking or hesitation... I checked the relay and it is the grey version.

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
the fuel shutoff solenoid is located on the injector pump on the side. It has the wire going to it to power it so that it can run. Your grey relay although may look good could be faulty. When mine gave way couple months ago it looked perfectly fine (i even popped it open to check inside) but was faulty

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The N109 solenoid is the fuel shutoff solenoid, not the relay (grey is the newer Relay 109).
The N109 is fed straight from the ECU with a black/white wire, must be on the IP somewhere.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Elroy, I popped that relay as the car was running, it did the same exact thing as what it was doing earlier. Engine died (obviously) When I was driving down the road, i would lose all engine power and response but the engine would remain idling for a few moments.

Now that I am replaying the first scenario in my head, I took off from a stop light, went over RR tracks within 20 feet, and within seconds after that is when the issue occurred.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Alright, thats what is bolted directly to the IP then. Thanks Bob.

I've read about doing an output test to check that solenoid. Is that something I can do with vagcom?

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
the 109 relay gives power back to the ecu to power the injector shutoff. If you want to double check the relay. Run a wire from the postive battery terminal to the fuel shutoff on the injection pump. Itll keep the engine running even if the 109 relay kills it. For the price of the 109 relay your just better off to replace it for peace of mind.

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
JFI I've had a black 109 relay play up. Resoldering the internals cured it.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Does anyone have a part number for the n109 valve? I took the number on the front of the solenoid but came up empty.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Installed the new 109 relay a few days ago. Everything has been fine since (knock on wood)

For future reference for others, my car would die while driving and start right up with the first turn of the key. I had read in a few different threads that starting the car after the engine shut off due to the relay, was a chore.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Yes, as a clarifying wrap up.

The N109 solenoid and Relay 109 are different things.

Relay 109 has "109" painted on it and is located in the relay panel located in the driver's footwell.

The N109 solenoid is a shutoff solenoid that cuts fuel to the pump when you turn the car off or during an accident.

When relay 109 fails and cuts out, the N109 solenoid will shut off fuel.