Parasitic electrical drain - Is there a 'typical' spot, where this originates?

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
My 2002 Jetta wagon runs down the battery inside of a few days. Since I am retired, and do not drive much these days, the only thing that I can do in the meantime, is disconnect the battery. Electrical problems seem to be my nemesis, with these cars.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I am not an expert, but I read in another thread very recently that the internal door switches can be to blame, and they're usually a common fail item as it is. Have you been having any locking issues, or with the auto-dimming of the interior lights? I think there can be a few symptoms.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
When I disconnect the (+) battery terminal, I get a (too) healthy spray of sparks.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not an expert, but I read in another thread very recently that the internal door switches can be to blame, and they're usually a common fail item as it is. Have you been having any locking issues, or with the auto-dimming of the interior lights? I think there can be a few symptoms.
I rarely lock the car, and I have the auto dimming lights completely turned off, but thanks for the info!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Do you have the monsoon sound system? If so the amp is a well documented source for a parasitic drain.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you have something on the aux connector (CD changer, Phatbox, etc.) that can also do it, and its a nasty one too because you're unlikely to notice it by anything other than your battery being killed!

JackvasDeferens

TDI
2001 Jetta and 2002 Jetta both 5-speeds - both @burpod tuned
Take a look at this video if Humblemechanic's video is inconclusive
I was able to track down a parasitic drain on my 2002 using this video.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I thought I had a parasitic drain, So for about 12 months I would just throw my charger on it before each weekend and not care. One thing along with this was, even warm the car would have a real slow start sometimes.

Cold weather hit, car wouldnt start even after a 15amp charge.. so i bought a new battery(5 or 7 years on the oem bought around 2015)
I have not had a parasitic drain symptom or a slow start since!!! It said for over 2 weeks at one point, cranked right up.