Parasitic battery draw?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Car wouldn't start yesterday morning, upon turning the key the dash went flat. I was able to jump it, when it threw the CEL and a code for the coolant temp sensor short to ground. Would that be enough to drain the battery overnight? I seem to recall having a bad one years ago but it didn't do this.
This is a 99.5 Jetta.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
With the key off the ECU should not send power to anything.
HA! That's what I thought as well. Turns out it was the radio. Open circuit in the radio unit. It was trying to eject a cassette (I think), and drawing about 1.5A It was enough to kill the battery overnight.
Weird, because I was just replacing a CV joint the day before and I was kind of freaked out by this.
I was also amused that the radio fuse is 25A.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Did you disconnect the battery when doing the axle? I've noticed sometimes my CAN adapter module for my aftermarket radio sometimes boots the radio up when you first hook the battery up, and won't shut off. Pulling then plugging the fuse back in always cures it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
HA! That's what I thought as well. Turns out it was the radio. Open circuit in the radio unit. It was trying to eject a cassette (I think), and drawing about 1.5A It was enough to kill the battery overnight.
Weird, because I was just replacing a CV joint the day before and I was kind of freaked out by this.
I was referring to the coolant sensor.
The radio will turn on even with the key off so there is power to things.
The amp probably takes more power then the radio.
Do you have the Monsoon radio?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I was referring to the coolant sensor.
The radio will turn on even with the key off so there is power to things.
The amp probably takes more power then the radio.
Do you have the Monsoon radio?
The amp is known to have a parasitic draw. I had this in my car and couldn't track it down forever. When I did, I installed a relay that would kick the amp on with key on power. With key off, the relay connection was cut so there would be no way to get power to the amp. I just mounted it compartment that has the amp.

Haven't had an issue since.

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
There was a thread very recently with a member who had a parasitic draw that killed his battery overnight. If I can find it I'll post it. The person was very thorough in troubleshooting the problem and their process may help you with yours

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Love that you're still playing your cassettes!

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, here's an update. There's a further problem somewhere. Jumped in the car to take the kids to camp this morning and the battery fell flat when I turned the key. So I'm back to pulling fuses. Edited to add: The fan control module is a strange component. I had a bad one in the '01 that I resurrected from a field, and it gave me endless trouble. The symptoms covered just about everything.

Last edited:

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Okay, here's an update. There's a further problem somewhere. Jumped in the car to take the kids to camp this morning and the battery fell flat when I turned the key. So I'm back to pulling fuses. Edited to add: The fan control module is a strange component. I had a bad one in the '01 that I resurrected from a field, and it gave me endless trouble. The symptoms covered just about everything.
Did you go through the post I put up for you earlier?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Okay, here's an update. There's a further problem somewhere. Jumped in the car to take the kids to camp this morning and the battery fell flat when I turned the key.
Did you charge the battery fully and have it load tested?
I'm wondering if it's going bad.
How old is it?