PA "MORE MPG" on Jetta Sportwagen

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Hello,
I'm in search of the owner of this car. We have an interesting thing in common.
We both like VW TDI wagons. I expect that my next vehicle will likely be a Sportwagen.

OH AND WE HAVE THE SAME LICENSE PLATE!?!?!? How the ____ does that happen?

BTW, you owe the Delaware Bridge Commission $1 + a fine.

Ben

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Could he maybe actually have the plate "M0RE MPG"? The ole zero for an O swap. If so, still funny. It appears to be in use according to PennDOT vanity plate check. If you were so inclined you could also do a lookup

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
You got it first try!

Nice call sprinks!
I stopped by the State Police. Left there no longer under suspicion of trying to evade a fine, but with the thought that it must be a counterfeit plate.
The Trooper confirmed that all of my records match and that the plate had not been removed from my vehicle recently (probably as much soot on the plate as on the rest). He offered to back me up.
So, I called the Bridge Commission to dispute the notifications, provided the infraction number, he looked at the picture and said, "Oh, that's a zero. I'll transfer these to that owner. Here is a confirmation number." DONE!
Even though sprinks didn't see any picture, I'm going to feel better thinking that the guy on the phone was looking at a better quality picture than was on the notices.

Thanks for the reply!

Bottom line, "MORE MPG" <> "M0RE MPG". Plain as can be (now).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In VA, O and 0 are the same character.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
This guy continues to cause issues. I really don't know what to do. I am collecting a batch of these violation notices in a folder. Maybe I will contact a lawyer some day.

Getting rid of my car that has the "MORE MPG" plate. Somehow I don't think that problem will go away unless I surrender the plate back to the DMV, which I don't want to do. I would really like to keep it for potential future use.

Any additional thoughts?

Interesting about VA, I guess I wouldn't have this issue there as the 2nd plate could not have been issued.

Link to the "For Sale" listing. Please excuse the cross posting. I really need these things moved soon.

Best Regards,
Ben
610-703-9258

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
In VA, O and 0 are the same character.
Same thing in NH.

I've seen vanity plates where people have had to get creative to get what they want on a vanity plate because what they wanted was already taken. I've seen Q used in place of O in a few cases as well as 1 used in place of I. It could also have been cases where people wanted the same thing on their other car(s).

LOOKN vs. LQQKN
VERIZON vs. VER1ZON

I've had N1DAS on my 02 Golf and N1DAS- on my 05 PD JWagen TDIs. The "-" character is enough to make them unique plates. For a while i had N1DAS (02 Golf TDI), N1DAS- (05 PD JWagen TDI), and N1DAS+ (10 JSW TDI) at the same time.

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
I have 5OMPG VW here in PA. I know someone else has the 50MPG VW as I checked with PennDOT and it was taken. Hope I don't run into this same issue. You may be able to speak with PennDOT and have them take your tag out of service if removed from the vehicle. I would recommend contacting them to see what can be done.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting that the letter O and the number 0 aren't the same character in Pennsylvania. They are in Virginia.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Sure wish they would be as VA does it, doesn't make sense to allow such similar characters.

Hi Rick, good luck with your plate, hopefully the other guy doesn't run through tool plaza's without an EZ-Pass transponder.

Ben