P2459 Issue

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
First CEL of owning and it's this code. I recently did a road trip with about 700+ pounds of stuff in the trunk/back seats and a bike rack on the hitch with two bikes and moved to DC. The only driving since unloading the car has been a max 20 minute drive in mostly urban stop and go. Heard the car regenning a lot during a couple of short drives but unclear whether it ever fully finished.

After doing some digging it seems like it may be a bad EGT sensor. But i also came across a thread of a dealer trying to charge over $1K to replace the thermostat which sounds ridiculous and I want to avoid that. Car is still covered under dieselgate. I have yet to let a VW dealer do any work other than engine oil/filter and transmission oil/filter and being in a new place, unclear whether I should A: clear the code and get the car on the highway for a bit to let it run a full regen at decent speed and see if the check engine light comes back or B get an appointment to get it looked/fixed under dieselgate. Would clearing the code and it coming back run me into issues with coverage under dieselgate?

The issue is that I am planning a 15-hour round trip this weekend and unclear whether the car will be regenning too much or I can just wait until after the trip to have the car checked out by VW.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I would just clear the code and motor on. That is what I did and the code never came back. I think it was triggered by the a lot of short trips after the car initiated a regen and it did not have a chance to complete a regen after X number of start/stop cycles. That is my theory anyway. You might consider replacing the pressure sensor for the DPF (top of engine, passenger side) or better yet putting in a Kerma tune. I just did that and my frequent regens are in the rear view mirror (knock on wood).

Once you hit the highway and drive about 10 miles you have driven enough to complete any regen from my experience.

Cleaning the tubes as mentioned in the above post might be a fix but in my case it turned out to not be the root cause.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, if you clear the code and it does not come back - no reason to invoke Dieselgate warranty anyway.
If you clear the code and it does come back - invoke the warranty (if still available).
If you go to the dealer who knows what will happen - they may have the car months of longer if they say it needs a new DPF - unavailable at the present as I understand it. I wanted to avoid a dealer visit.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope your dealer can resolve the frequent regen issue. I am of the belief that the frequent regens are bad on many counts - cooking the coolant, overheating the associated plastic parts and shortening their life, clogging the heater core, etc etc. and if your dealer can't fix it once and for all (throwing expensive parts at it in the process) then get a Kerma tune and this problem will end.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Go to the Autoscan part, and get the Gateway Installation list, that will display what all modules your car has.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So I wonder if the nipple area was already weak and was the original issue, you just did it in. Toss # in the part in any vendors site and if a newer version is out there it should be flagged as replaced only last digit changing.

In a pinch you could drive around a little bit if you plug off that sensor port so no exhaust gasses start melting anything, i'd only do this if you absolutely needed to drive some place.

No need to replace both sensors unless you just want to sleep a little better and change both of them "while your there".

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I believe it is cheaper to buy the whole assembly, bracket and all, with both sensors. Don't ask me why.