P2459/08863 DPF Regeneration Frequency

Passat2022

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi
Just purchased 2014 passat tdi with 156k miles and it's throwing error code every 70 to 100 miles P2459/08863 DPF Regeneration Frequency, car drives fine has lots of power, I have checked dpf with Carista soot level is low around 9g and I also have forced the car to do Regen it completes it soot level goes to 2-3g. What could be the issue any help is appreciated,

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just purchased 2014 passat tdi with 156k miles and it's throwing error code every 70 to 100 miles P2459/08863 DPF Regeneration Frequency, car drives fine has lots of power, I have checked dpf with Carista soot level is low around 9g and I also have forced the car to do Regen it completes it soot level goes to 2-3g. What could be the issue any help is appreciated,
If you still have diesel gate warrenty just bring it in. Your tailpipes sooty at all?

Passat2022

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi
If you still have diesel gate warrenty just bring it in. Your tailpipes sooty at all?
Im not sure if it has warranty as i just got the car I see on the google warranty is 10 years or 120k miles, no soot pipe is clean and car doesn't smoke

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The pressure sensor may be restricted or giving a false value. The sensor for the DPF is the one on the bracket over by the coolant bottle. The one for the EGR is the one back atop the valve cover. They both are functionally the same thing, and both tee into the same post-DPF port for their reference, but since you do not have any EGR flow DTCs I would suspect that part is clear.... at least to the tee.

So take the sensor off, remove the two hoses (they are clamped on, you'll need a T30 bit to get it all apart). Note the position of the hoses, they cannot be swapped or the sensor won't work right.

Once the hoses are off, look inside them for any debris or water condensation. Look inside the sensor's nipples, too. You can blow air through the hoses to make sure they are clear, you won't hurt anything.

If that all checks out, I'd be inclined to just try a new sensor, do all the Adaptations for everything, and see if that doesn't get your regen frequency back down.

Passat2022

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi
The pressure sensor may be restricted or giving a false value. The sensor for the DPF is the one on the bracket over by the coolant bottle. The one for the EGR is the one back atop the valve cover. They both are functionally the same thing, and both tee into the same post-DPF port for their reference, but since you do not have any EGR flow DTCs I would suspect that part is clear.... at least to the tee.

So take the sensor off, remove the two hoses (they are clamped on, you'll need a T30 bit to get it all apart). Note the position of the hoses, they cannot be swapped or the sensor won't work right.

Once the hoses are off, look inside them for any debris or water condensation. Look inside the sensor's nipples, too. You can blow air through the hoses to make sure they are clear, you won't hurt anything.

If that all checks out, I'd be inclined to just try a new sensor, do all the Adaptations for everything, and see if that doesn't get your regen frequency back down.
Thank you I will get that checked out today and I also have one extra pressure sensor from my previous 13 jetta will raplace it and see how it goes.

Passat2022

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi
Run your VIN and you'll know for sure.
Thanks here is what it says

Results for your

2014 Passat Sedan 4D SE TDI I4

Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs

Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement:YESModification Approved by EPA and CARB:YESModification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN):YESVehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty:YESVehicle Eligibility and Emissions Modification Status:

An emissions modification has been approved for this vehicle by EPA and CARB. Our records show that a modification has been completed.

Emissions Modification Disclosure:

Please find details on the modification for the vehicle in the Emissions Modification Disclosure.

Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:

The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Jan 15, 2019 and 79,657 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
You are on your own... we can't tell when it expired as we don't know when you hit the 130k as per the greater of the two coverages.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
My 2013 Passat recently started throwing the same code, self-cleared, code again, and cleared again today. I'll check out the pressure sensor.

And yes at 217k I'm 15k past the warranty extension.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I started getting this code (P2459) today, car has been getting into regen mode every 100 miles or even less for the last 5 or 6 months. I followed Oilhammer's recommendation of post # 4 of pulling off the DPF pressure sensor from the hoses:
OH advises: " Once the hoses are off, look inside them for any debris or water condensation. Look inside the sensor's nipples, too. You can blow air through the hoses to make sure they are clear, you won't hurt anything. "

Well I blew through the larger hose and it was like there was something stuck in there and blocking the hose, blew harder and it was like shooting a pea out of a pea shooter. With the hose now clear I buttoned things back up and drove around town and the CEL has not come back on.

Big thanks to Oilhammer, this might have saved me a trip to the dealer. If the light comes back again I may well take it in to the dealer anyway as I have about a year left on my dieselgate warranty and they would probably throw parts at it, put in a new DPF, replace the sensor and god knows what else all at VW expense.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
^ Thank you OH. I just drove about 80 miles today on the highway and no CEL and I don't think the car entered a regen either so that may well have fixed not only my CEL but also the excessive regens I have been having. I don't really understand the theory of the DEF pressure sensor and how that is used to time regens - I thought ash load was the trigger.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
^ Thank you OH. I just drove about 80 miles today on the highway and no CEL and I don't think the car entered a regen either so that may well have fixed not only my CEL but also the excessive regens I have been having. I don't really understand the theory of the DEF pressure sensor and how that is used to time regens - I thought ash load was the trigger.
The DPF pressure sensor is how it calculates the amount of soot, and if it thinks it have a lot of soot, hence regen.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
My engine is still getting regens every 80 miles or so. The tubes leading to the sensor are clear. I think I am going to replace the sensor. I don't have VCDS. Can I just put on the new sensor without doing any "adaptations". What is that exactly.

oilhammer

TDI
I would want to avail yourself of a proper scan tool to go any further. That may be all that is needed (the adaptation of the pressure sensor). If the tube was clogged, we already know the ECU was not getting the correct values. Now that it is "working", it may not be basing it on the ground level zero point adaptation it should be.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My concern is how could something clog that pipe/hose?

There should be no flow of exhaust gasses in the that sensor, it's capped closed loop system noting different pressure from one port to the other.

Any chance you were able to find what was stuck in there?

oilhammer

TDI
A chunk of carbon. I blow those tubes out every time I install a new DPF, and the top side one often has some black stuff in it. Minimal, but it is there.

Sparkles

TDI
2012 SEL Premium - 145k miles
when you say you blow out the tubes each time, do you just disconnect from the sensor and blow air in the two tubes from the one end, or do you disconnect the tubes from both ends and blow air through outside the car?

oilhammer

TDI
The tubes have to come off to replace the DPF, so I blow them out then. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. Are you familiar with the layout of the exhaust system on the CJAA?

They are quite an albatross of tubes and sensors.

The first pic, is the assembly as it is removed from the car, the second pic is the space it was taken from, the low pressure EGR valve and cooler and bottom side of the turbocharger assembly is mostly what you see. But you can also see the tube going to the EGR differential pressure sensor, down low and left right near the transmission case... goes up, turns, wrapped past the turbo, and up some more and goes to a little hose.

That hose is what connects to the EGR pressure sensor, which I remove (along with the DPF pressure sensor) that can both be seen in the first pic. The DPF sensor is the one dangling by the shop floor off to the left.

All of the sensors in that pic, as well as the one that has already been removed, both the pressure sensors, and the pipe Y-assembly that is attached to the DPF assembly, all get removed and transferred over to the new DPF. I don't have any pics of them taken apart, but I can get some the next one I do (likely won't be long, I see these constantly).

Last edited:

Sparkles

TDI
2012 SEL Premium - 145k miles
and that sensor it he one on the passenger side (near the fuel pump and not the one at the back of the engine. Two sensors the same part, so wanted to make sure which was which.

Passat2022

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi
I'm still having same problem car drives fine no loss of power,tail pipe is clean no soot, my have to try dpf cleaning solution, if anyone has good dpf for sale let me know.

frizbo

TDI
MK7
Just purchased a 2015 TDI, still under dieselgate warranty and getting this code:

P2459 [0x2459]
Diesel particulate filter (DPF), regeneration process - number of DPF regeneration cycles too high

I'm going to deal with the dealership first, and then go through the options detailed above.

For anyone that has had this issue, have you managed a permanent solution?
Do any of the fuel additives work?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
You're in warranty, no need for wishes. Take it in. And no, additives don't perform miracles.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
concur: P2459, with clean exhaust pipes, fixed every time with a new d/p sensor. Sometimes also cleaning the lines, but 9 times out of 10 it's just a new sensor.