P2196

golfnoob

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Golf with about 65k gave me this code over the weekend with “o2 sensor stuck rich” I’m pretty sure this would be covered by the emissions warranty but I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle of two Saturdays at the dealership (they never have the parts needed in stock) when a Bosch equivalent sensor is $55 and I could get it done quickly. Could it really just be the o2 sensor?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Beware of Bosch so called replacement 02 replacement stuff, my experience is they don;t last. get it replaced by VW under warranty for free.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The correct Bosch sensor will be more than $55, that sounds like one of the universal "cut 'n splice" types, which won't work. The correct one can be had for about $100 though, dealer list may be a bit higher. 03L-906-262-Q.

However, that may not even be the problem. Exhaust leaks can cause some strange behavior that the sensor (which is comparing the oxygen content of the exhaust with that of the air surrounding it) may send a signal to the ECU that is interpreted in a certain manner.

There is a trouble shooting procedure (VAG calls it Guided Fault Finding) that I would want to run through to at least make sure something else is not the cause... like a mouse chewed through a wire... which we are seeing almost daily now. We call them Covid Cars (cars that have been sitting). All kinds of issues crop up when you do NOT drive your car regularly.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
you were saying....?
(

Ironically, this is a car that DOES get driven regularly, however, it's almost always on battery power, so the ICE was never firing up to scare the critter(s) away)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That's not a car, it's an electrical appliance.