P2015 intake manifold flap fix how-to

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Here is the pinout of the 5 pin plug on the V157 flapper motor for a CBEA engine. CJAA is likely the same:

Pin 1 goes to ECU Terminal 10 and terminal 1 of the cam position sensor
Pin 2 goes directly to ECU Terminal 27
Pin 3 is ground and goes to ECU Terminal 51 and terminal 3 of the cam position sensor
Pin 4 goes directly to ECU Terminal 35
Pin 5 goes directly to ECU Terminal 50

1>>10 Yellow/grey stripe
2>>27 Lilac/black stripe
3>>51 Brown/green stripe
4>>35 Brown/green stripe (weird to have a duplicate color)
5>>50 Red/green stripe

So, set your Multimeter for Continuity and listen for beeps or if you only have an Ohms setting then look for 1.5 Ohms or less of resistance. You can also check for continuity on lines 4 and 5 to chassis ground only after you have unplugged the ECU.

Last edited:

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
First, let me check the wiring for any obvious breaks or cuts, especially near the oil filter housing, as suggested in an earlier post.

Next question will probably be where is the ECU and how do I unplug it so I can test the connectivity.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Just do a continuity check before you go tearing into the harness. It's probably a broken wire but you won't really know what you're looking at in the bundle. Jim neglected to give you wire colors ;)

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Here are two videos that show what happens during a successful Basic Settings test in VCDS for the intake manifold system. Please note that if your motor does not move initially then you will need to pull the linkage into range with a curved pick or long screwdriver on the linkage arm. The motor arm should move relatively slowly from one end of its range to the other end. If your system is worn and the arm goes out of range in the rearward position then it will stop cycling forward until you move it again with a screwdriver/curved pick.

These videos show an intake with the P2015 fix already in place:

Basic Settings test shown at V157 motor: http://youtu.be/--PGudl9s7Q

Basic Settings shown on computer with VCDS: http://youtu.be/O25vS2fr-oE

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Success! Eventually....

So I had my intake manifold replaced for the P2015 issue before this fix was available. tadurkee pointed me to Dieselgeek's fix when hers threw the P2015 code recently (2010 JSW with 350k+miles), so I ordered 2 kits. I attempted to install it on mine first, as a guinea pig, and just a a preventative-maintenance thing on mine. Strangely, even though this was a new intake manifold, the bracket just didn't want to seem to align correctly, or draw into place correctly. I wasn't able to get it to hook in place and have the kind of alignment that DG's videos showed. I tried it on tadurkee's car, hoping that the 2nd time would show me something new, but it fit the same. Or, rather....mis-fit.

Jim advised me that others had found that removing the motor helped. When tadurkee came back, I tried the 'hook and swing' once more, but still couldn't get things aligned right, and the output test on the motor didn't work. So the motor came off (simple job, but be careful of the little spring), and it installed much better that way. Output test ran correctly, and her car seems to be fixed.

Regarding the little spring: The forward end (that is, forward in car position) has a hook that's slightly greater than 180 degrees, to capture it on the motor arm. So just unhook the rear end on the manifold, and let the spring dangle. It shouldn't come off the motor if you don't disturb it too much.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
I had trouble getting mine to hook onto the motor correctly as well. I was a bit reluctant to remove the motor so I gently filed a small amount of aluminum to widen the gap on the bracket (see the red circle in the attached picture....picture shamelessly stolen from Jim). It seemed the nub on my motor where the bracket mounted was just slightly larger than the opening in the bracket. By filing just a small amount this allowed the bracket to fit nice and snug, and the voltage reading is now around 0.76v, right where it should be.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
I got the fix bracket 2 weeks ago now and have it installed, voltages are back to what a new manifold should be but I still have a issue with flaps not opening up all the way I'm thinking. Since I pluged the flap motor back in mpg has gone back down so the flaps must still not be opening all the way. There is a adjust,don't for this?

Thanks
Jamie

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
If your voltages in Basic Settings are approximately .5 to .76 on the low end and roughly 4.5V on the high end then your flaps should be opening and closing completely. Here Are the Basic Settings videos:

VCDS computer screen: http://youtu.be/O25vS2fr-oE

Manifold: http://youtu.be/--PGudl9s7Q

As far as I know, there is no adjustment for opening and closing of the butterfly valves.

I assume you have no more fault codes?

Ms9603

TDI
2012 Golf 2door
I just installed the Diesel Geek and had trouble getting it flush against the motor as well. I also had to use a piece of string to pull the motor arm up enough to get the piece behind it. As of right now it is behind the arm but I will have to probably take the motor off when I get time to see how to get it completely flush. That being said, the car drives like it did new! The last 6 months I have suffered from poor fuel economy and the seemed to have lost power. It acted as if something was plugged or the engine was detained. I did not have a check engine light or the such. I have only driven the car once for about 60 miles since installing the part and it is like brand new again!!!!! The instant mpg computer is showing much higher mpgs as well! I hope this continues. Thank you so much Diesel Geek!!!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I think you all believe that the long edge of the repair bracket is supposed to contact the motor body. It is not/does not.

After you hook it, it will be loose and floppy until both of the front fasteners are completely tight. Once it's tight, it's right.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
This was the way mine looked when I did the small screw up as tight as I could. The two pieces just were not coming together. After I filed the opening in the bracket slightly larger (see my picture in my previous post), it fits perfectly.

Oh, and I forgot to mention before, big thanks to Jim at Dieselgeek for all his help. He called me on the phone several times and said he would not rest until the part fitted the way it was designed to! Great customer service...:D

Last edited:

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
yesterday I looked and the bracket had come off so I installed again and MPG is up so hopefully It was just me not installing tight enough.

Thanks
Jamie

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I had problems similar to post #101 and I had to leave the long screw loose, pull the lever forward, tighten and align the part and then release the lever to get the thing flush along with juking the bracket to the right while fiddling with it.
I could not just tighten the socket head allen screw to bring the bracket into position.
If finally fit, but it was a little PITA for a while.
Did the job though!

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
First, let me check the wiring for any obvious breaks or cuts, especially near the oil filter housing, as suggested in an earlier post.

Next question will probably be where is the ECU and how do I unplug it so I can test the connectivity.
Still waiting for the weather to get a little warmer before I get to looking at the wiring.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Yes, the brackets are still available. The grey add to cart button is live. The cart page can be accessed in the upper right hand corner of the page. Some browsers on some systems don't pop up the cart preview when you add to cart. If you have clicked the add to cart button repeatedly you need to update quantities in the cart since you might have more than one bracket in the cart. I'll also make a note to change the color of that add to cart button to make it clearer the product is in stock.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Also, I'm starting a database of everyone whose car has been fixed or whose bracket was installed successfully for preemptive purposes. If you are among this group please email me at jimatdieselgeekdotcom and let me know so I can add you to the list.

Likewise, if you are having issues please email me so we can sort it out.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
This was the way mine looked when I did the small screw up as tight as I could. The two pieces just were not coming together. After I filed the opening in the bracket slightly larger (see my picture in my previous post), it fits perfectly.
Oh, and I forgot to mention before, big thanks to Jim at Dieselgeek for all his help. He called me on the phone several times and said he would not rest until the part fitted the way it was designed to! Great customer service...:D
That's exactly what mine looked like, too -- both on my own car with a replacement in take manifold, and tadurkee's car with 350k+. And the bracket fit fine without modification once I removed the motor.

For others reading this thread:
Don't be afraid to take the motor off. It's an easy job. Unclip the wire harness (giving it a push IN before pulling back helps.) Remove the 3 torx screws. You will find the motor popping itself off by spring force as the screws are loosened. Use a needle-nosed pliers to unhook the tiny spring from the flap side (the rear-of-car direction, not the motor end that's forward-in-car). The motor side has a hook on it to keep that end lightly attached. Then pop the plastic linkage off of the ball on the motor arm.

It's much easier to get the bracket to fit with the motor off. You can rotate the motor arm out of the way and get the bracket seated without working against the force of the arm.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I wanted to add another data point to this discussion pertaining to "bad" V157 flapper motors. I have been in contact with dozens of people who have the P2015 fault code and there have been a dozen or so that were convinced that their motor was bad. So, I have sent several of them known good used motors and received back the "bad" ones. So far, not one motor has been bad. When hooked up to a manifold known to be worn to the point of allowing the butterfly shaft to over rotate, the motors have performed flawlessly when used in conjunction with my repair bracket.

To summarize, I don't think that these motors actually go bad or, if they do, it is very rare. They are just being turned off by the ECU.

Alnicocunife

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
The dieselgeek bracket fixed my 7 month old "new" motor that I took off of a brand new intake. Jim has been great to work with on instructions and help installing the bracket.

Thank you for making a simple easy fix for a defect with the intake flap motor.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Well, if you install my fix bracket then the arm is then kept within the acceptable range for the ECU to again take control. In almost all cases I have seen, once the bracket is installed correctly the motor just starts working and the light turns off by itself. The code will still be stored until it is cleared or when 255 qualifying drive cycles are complete.

Ilya, it was my understanding that your electrical tests showed that you had an actual fault in your wiring. If one of the five electrical terminals going to the motor are missing voltage to run feedback to the ECU or if there is no output voltage to the V157 motor then the system will not work until that issue is resolved. Unfortunately for you, your car is the only car in the 100+ customers I've talked to that has wiring issues. You just need to figure out where the break is in your wiring harness. I'll try to call this afternoon.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I had a weird electrical issue a while ago and I think it might be related. My suspicion is that one of the fuses is missing or bad. I need to get some warm weather so I can check them all using a multi-meter and a spare fuse. I think this is more likely than the wiring. Any idea which fuse would affect this particular item and not anything else? Can someone send me a picture of your fuse box for a 2010 Sportwagen TDI manual no sunroof. The manual does not exactly match the fuse box - some fuses are not documented, so I can't tell if there's another one that might be missing.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Ilya,

According to my wiring diagram for a 2009 CBEA Jetta, there is no fuse for any of the 5 wires leading to the V157:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I saw this on a customer's car and thought it could be prone to damaging the wire bundle leading to the V157 and injectors:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Take a look at this video that shows the bracket you have and the "nub" where it mounts:http://youtu.be/7mokVxlu09w It should look like this if positioned correctly:

I uploaded the video showing me removing the V157 motor, installing the P2015 bracket (newer style), and then reinstalling the V157 motor onto the manifold. Once you have the motor off and in your hands you will see exactly where the fix bracket should go and it should be much easier to get it correctly mounted. Here it is: http://youtu.be/s9CeON8FqUU

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Finally installed 0.760 volts as expected

5 Feb 2015,
Finally installed by removing the motor, as Jim recommends. I have the 1st version. No issues. Watch his video. Came in handy when reinstalling the spring correctly. Also, has a good recommendation to slightly crimp the end of the spring so it remains on the motor arm.
Read voltage after starting and reads exactly 0.760 volts, as expected! The other values are. Slightly different than the before values.
Mileage 87525
-2.4 % Lambda
0.8 % Lambda
01000101 Bin. Bits
These were before measurements taken in December 2014
Address 01: Engine (03L 906 019 CL)
14:50:33 Group 121
-3.2 % Lambda
4.7 % Lambda
00000100 Bin. Bits
0.608 V Voltage
Friday,19,December,2014,15:06:07:27850
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 14.10.0.0 (x64)
Data version: 20141022
Mileage: 81714
Now curious to see if my fuel MPG increases. Actually had a no start last week that had all the symptoms of water in the intercooler. First time but not surprised since the car is now on the east coast in subfreezing weather. Never had an issue in the deserts of SoCal :).
Thanks Jim!!

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
We just finished the specific bracket for the all black plastic Euro manifold (03L 129 711AG) found on some 2010 and newer cars outside of North America:

Last edited: