P2015 intake manifold flap fix how-to

tinymiata

TDI
2010 Jetta Manual
I looked it again today and it looks like I pushed the arm on too far.
it was sitting between the motor and the little ball that is hooks too.
I moved it back so it is centered on the ball and I herd it click in.
I checked my voltages again
I still have the 0.684 with the car off and now with the engine on at idle I have
3.724 volts
I will have to wait a few days to see if the light comes back on its not quite the 4v that was suggested but it is closer.
My Bin. Bits are showing 1000 right now.
thanks.

Last edited:

tinymiata

TDI
2010 Jetta Manual
It has been a week since I set the arm correctly no check light so far and Bin.Bits still at 1000 looks good.
thanks all

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Mine has been good for a while now.
Good product fair price.
Keep making stuff to fix the VW design issuer for us.
We appreciate it!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
add me to the list.

my engine controller MB 121-4 voltage was at .456, which led me to order the fix.

put it on just now, and resting, is now at .684 off, up to 4.104 after start and a few minutes.

I never saw any P2015 errors, so this is a preventative install at 140k miles.

pulled the motor out, was still not obvious where it went, till a miracle became evident, and it fit into place. :)

Only problem I had was dropping the T-30 screwdriver, but my skinny arms were able to retrieve without any drama.

hellrbbt

TDI
'10 TDI JSW
Just wanted to check in and say the fix worked great! Cleared both the p2015 and p2016 code. Installed about 2k miles ago back in January.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Installed the kit yesterday by taking the motor out. I had no spring there. I said what the hell and installed the bracket anyways.
Have the P0215 code again as well as the P0216 code. Will buy a set of springs and see if I can get one of them to fit and try again, soon.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Can anyone measure the length of the spring so I can kinda match it, please?

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Spring does something or it wouldn't be there.
Anyways, In the diesel geek video it shows the spring.
Mine wasn't on there.
It is now and no more codes, more power and I hope more mpg's.
Maybe that is why my turbo grenades when the spring sucked thru it?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I think the spring keeps some tension so that the linkage mechanism doesn't rattle. And those of us who have the spring find that as you loosen the 3 motor bolts, the spring pushes the motor off. Likewise when reinstalling, you work against the spring force slightly.

The spring wouldn't have been sucked into the intake. But you may find it trapped in the grooves in your belly pan.

I have a DG bracket that I ordered as a preemptive fix, but haven't installed it yet. If someone else doesn't supply the spring measurements soon, I'll do it in a couple-three weeks (?)

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Home Depot sells for 4 bucks a kit of assorted small springs in the hardware section. I used one of them in the kit I bought.
Took it to the top of Mt Baldy road this a.m. No codes.
With out the spring I got the additional P0216 code as well.
Great bracket!!

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
(12-09-14): I have a new CNC machined bracket for limiting arm movement to the same amount as a stock, brand new manifold. The CR intake manifold and/or the V157 motor does not need to be replaced with this bracket. You will only need to affix the bracket to the motor and bolt it together. This is all done on a cold engine with the manifold and flapper motor in place. The flapper motor cannot travel out of range with this bracket in place despite how much wear might be on your linkage arm.
Did preventive maintenance today, installed the Dieselgeek bracket.

Couldn't get to hook the spring and left it loose, attached to the motor only, is that an issue?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I am not a big fan of loose parts.

it did seem like I had to hook up the spring with the mounting screws loose, using a pair of long nose pliers, then hold the motor against the spring and put the screws in.

if you cannot get the other end in, might be better off leaving it out all together.

does seem like it is there for rattle reduction.

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
I am not a big fan of loose parts.

it did seem like I had to hook up the spring with the mounting screws loose, using a pair of long nose pliers, then hold the motor against the spring and put the screws in.

if you cannot get the other end in, might be better off leaving it out all together.

does seem like it is there for rattle reduction.
Went back and checked on the spring, and it was hooked up

Untitled by *MANU01*, on Flickr

Feeling better now.

gregm784

TDI
2005 Golf 2010 SportWagon
I have a 2015 & 2016 CEL code. I've ordered the part. Will it clear the 2016 code as well? (Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Short to Ground) ?

Thanks for designing and selling the fix!

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
Add another satisfied customer. I was able to install the DieselGeek part without removing the small electric motor.

No more intermittent CEL.

Stay tuned for VCDS results.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Lower Than Expected Voltage

I had a go at this installation recently as well. Everything seemed to go fine and the bracket looks perfect, but my input voltage is 0.536. Unfortunately I didn't scan to find out what it was before I did the install (for various technical reasons unrelated to the bracket).

I ran output tests to cycle the flap repeatedly and observed it. Everything looks good.

Has anybody else seen a voltage lower than .760 after the install?

EDIT: Re-read the thread and yes I see that others have a lower number, just not as low as mine.

Last edited:

gregm784

TDI
I installed mine today too. The cel returned after clearing codes. Tomorrow I'll fire up vcds and see what my voltages are and report back.

gregm784

TDI
My cel will not stay off. If I clear codes it'll come back on within the day. I was hoping that fix would work. Disappointed to day the least. 70$ got nothing...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I installed mine today too. The cel returned after clearing codes. Tomorrow I'll fire up vcds and see what my voltages are and report back.
My cel will not stay off. If I clear codes it'll come back on within the day. I was hoping that fix would work. Disappointed to day the least. 70$ got nothing...
If you have installed this "fix" and you are still getting that same P2015 fault code, I can only assume that one of 2 things has happened.
1) You did not install the fix bracket properly (it is not in the correct spot), or
2) Your motor that moves this flap is bad. This is rare, but it could happen. Have you tried talking to Jim (Dieselgeek) about your issue? His after-the-sale technical support is nothing short of excellent. He will work with you over the phone to confirm what your problem is and figure out a way to fix it. Don't give up and assume that you wasted $70 so soon.

Have Fun!

Don

gregm784

TDI
I sent them an email and missed their call. i'll call Jim or Paula back tomorrow. I took pictures of my install tonight to send them. I'm impressed by their attention to my email. I hope we can solve the problem.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Bracket does not appear to be flush with the outside edge of the motor arm.

I think you should attempt to reinstall. Do you have VCDS?

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I have the newest version of Java on my computer but TDIClub's picture posting feature is displaying a Java error for me at least.

Here is a link to what the bracket should look like if properly mounted. You can see that the top plate's corners needs to be flush with the corners of the main body of the P2015 repair bracket. Maybe someone could post it below if their computer is playing nicely with TDIClub's servers: http://www.dieselgeek.com/v/images/V3detailsmall.jpg

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Thanks Bob. What I meant was that someone could copy my link to their machine and post it in the thread so it would be visible in the thread as a pic, not a link.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
^ Lol. I would but there has been a problem with my account for almost a year that does not allow me to post pictures using their server. They were never able to figure it out. So I have been using photobucket.

Ok. Here is Jim's picture showing proper installation alignment.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
...someone could copy my link to their machine and post it in the thread so it would be visible in the thread as a pic, not a link.
There appears to be an issue with the TDIClub Picture server right now. I tried to upload your pic and it seemed to go OK (it said it uploaded successfully), but it doesn't seem to be in my photo album and a search by name doesn't find it.

Have Fun!

Don

gregm784

TDI
Tonight i'm going to reinstall. Unanimous decision is i screwed up. :) (that has happened b4).

more pics once reinstalled.

Thank you everyone. Sorry i assumed i did it right. I should not have dished on the part so soon. :)