P2002 mil code

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hey so as the subject line reads, I had this code come up about 600 miles ago.
I performed an auto scan and it gave me this code.
The dpf levels look decent, I think

I read threads with bits and pieces, nothing concrete but it can either be a cracked dpf or a bad g450 sensor.

I have a bad feeling it's a cracked dpf for the following reasons.
About 10-12k miles or so ago while on the interstate I down shifted into too low of a gear that caused the engine to redline: stupid I know, even more so considering the miles that I've driven with manuals.

Within 20 miles I had a mil come up.
Long story short it was for the o2 sensor right after the dpf. I tried cleaning it, disappeared for a little but then came back so I bit the bullet and replaced the sensor.
I'm theorizing that the back pressure from that downshift caused the dpf to crack, perhaps a small bit and then with the miles I've put on it it got worse. The car gets driven hard. 85mph 140 miles everyday. A lot of hills..engine under constant load. But I would have thought that would keep the dpf healthy. I never lug it and out of the 11 oil changes I've done, 7 of them have been with Castrol ll03. The other 4 were with pennzoil and Pentosin and mobile, all ll03 oils

I noticed that the tail pipe does have soot. But I don't know if it's considered to be "normal " is there supposed to be zero soot?

Anyway, as soon as I get the computer loaded up I will post the auto scan readings.

Let the advice and suggestions begin.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
This is what the tail pipe looks like

I wet my finger and rubbed the inside to give you a better picture

The tailpipe where I wiped my finger

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Here is the scan/ log of the dpf readings
12:28:32
3 mbar Particle Filter Different. Pressure
0 mbar Particle Filter Offset Different. Pressure
0.0 Successful Regenerations
3.0 Requested Regenerations
99 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
210 km Mileage Since last Regen
99 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
10.2 Soot Load(g) Calculated
2.7 Soot Load(g) Measured

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You do have some soot in the pipes.

check it in a couple days and see if the measured soot changes. (or log a drive.)

Does the DPF differential pressure change as you vary the RPM?

Where I am going here is focused on the G450 pressure sensor.

Did you get the codes from the VCDS OBD functions, or from the engine controller?

(are there other errors shown in the engine controller?)

of course, the first question is if you plan to sell back to VW or keep.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=445921

a sooty tailpipe is not an immediate death warning for the DPF
like I said a lot of conflicting information found. Some imply the tail pipe is supposed to be squeaky clean.
You do have some soot in the pipes.

check it in a couple days and see if the measured soot changes. (or log a drive.)

Does the DPF differential pressure change as you vary the RPM?

Where I am going here is focused on the G450 pressure sensor.

Did you get the codes from the VCDS OBD functions, or from the engine controller?

(are there other errors shown in the engine controller?)

of course, the first question is if you plan to sell back to VW or keep.
I pulled from vcds. Within the engine controller. No other errors. I'll check it here probably on Friday. I did force a regeneration and went on a drive. Checked the soot level and it was a 2.4 I think.

I'll measure and log the pressure. (Do you know which block by chance?)
Any other measurements I should log, which blocks?
Regarding the last question. I love the car and I was planning on keeping with the fix. I've logged over 100k, hard miles. Emphasis on hard. The engine has never been babied. It's driven through every snow storm/blizzard since 2013. Gone on 1k mile + road trips. Seen high speeds. Logged a significant amount of miles towing. Apart from the o2 sensor and now this code, the car has performed flawlessly. Honestly I've never had a vehicle perform and behave so well, especially considering what I've thrown at it. And I've owned the 5EFE Toyota engine. GM 5.7 350 ford 4.9 etc. So that statement doesn't come lightly.

I'd love to keep the car, despite the huge financial incentive. But my financial situation took a really hard turn the last year. Not having a 400 dollar a month car payment would be a huge help. I am hoping that from now until the buyback period, it changes but if it doesn't and all remains the same then I will most likely turn her in.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I like to use advance measuring values from the engine controllers.

you can pick up to 12 values and log them over a drive. They are listed by name and MB identifier.

VCDS will let you save the selection to a file, for easier repeats, and will add logged readings to the end of the file with the same name if you pick the same set.

a healthy DPF will have a squeaky clean pipe.

but there is a wide range of how much gets by the DPF, and what trouble it can cause.

I do not think you need to run manual regens. more info in watching what the car does.

do you need to get the MIL off to pass an emissions inspection for registration in the near future?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

you can pick up to 12 values and log them over a drive. They are listed by name and MB identifier.

VCDS will let you save the selection to a file, for easier repeats, and will add logged readings to the end of the file with the same name if you pick the same set.

but there is a wide range of how much gets by the DPF, and what trouble it can cause.

I do not think you need to run manual regens. more info in watching what the car does.

do you need to get the MIL off to pass an emissions inspection for registration in the near future?
No, I live in Pennsylvania so no emissions. I was brought up with the mentality of a cel not being a suggestion or ignore light. So I try to tackle them as soon as I can to prevent further issues further down the road. Worse case scenario if the emissions system is fubared and I decide to keep the car, I will go the route of a tune.

I'll log that and reply back wth the readings. I really appreciate your help.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're really set on keeping, why not do a delete and tune?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4307904&postcount=1

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

Hey so aplogies for the delayed response. But at one point the light was off almost for a thousand miles! It came back on and it's the same code. I logged some values as you said and went for a drive. What data from that drive should I post or look for?

Also worth noting that I notice the light usually turns on if you go WOT on thr accelerator.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sent you a pm.

happy to look at the log file if you e-mail it to me.