p2002 code and vehicle inspection due -clear and keep going or take to dealership for fix?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
dropped the car off this morning at the dealership ~1hr away. Yesterday in addition to the blinking glow plug and MIL I also had a DPF light on the dashboard (Hadnt seen that before). Dealership is assessing and said it could be 2-8 weeks for a DPF and will keep me posted. I didnt hear anything from them today but will call and get an update on prognosis tomorrow. Are there other items that typically need to be replaced with the DPF such as the EGR valve etc...?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
the low pressure EGR tube and filter should also be replaced.
they get clogged up when the car is driven with a failed DPF.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
So dealership found DPF clogged and can get a replacement in a couple days. The person I spoke with wasn't sure about EGR tube/filter. She was reading some notes and sounds like they inspected those items but couldnt tell if they were replacing them or not.

They did inform me that my engine air filter was dirty and needs to be replaced for them to submit the warranty claim and it would cost $72. I replace the engine air filter every 20k and was replaced 9k miles ago. Has anyone else had this problem? They said their warranty administrator denies their claim when they try to put the filter through as part of the DPF claim. I have a new filter in box but am an hour away and don't want to do a 2 hour round trip to bring a $30 filter. Any thoughts on this?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're just trying to get even. You're getting an expensive repair covered by warranty. I'd let them do it: they probably wouldn't accept your filter anyway.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
So dealership found DPF clogged and can get a replacement in a couple days. The person I spoke with wasn't sure about EGR tube/filter. She was reading some notes and sounds like they inspected those items but couldnt tell if they were replacing them or not.

They did inform me that my engine air filter was dirty and needs to be replaced for them to submit the warranty claim and it would cost $72. I replace the engine air filter every 20k and was replaced 9k miles ago. Has anyone else had this problem? They said their warranty administrator denies their claim when they try to put the filter through as part of the DPF claim. I have a new filter in box but am an hour away and don't want to do a 2 hour round trip to bring a $30 filter. Any thoughts on this?
My last one I got the same treatment, though I was close to dealership (10 miles) and told them I wasn't paying labor for it (I do all my services and had everything to do tb/fuel/air/cabin services as soon as DPF and intake work were finished) but would drop off my VW filter for them to put in at no charges.

I would tell them you shouldn't have to pay for the labor but will pay for the filter.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
My last one I got the same treatment, though I was close to dealership (10 miles) and told them I wasn't paying labor for it (I do all my services and had everything to do tb/fuel/air/cabin services as soon as DPF and intake work were finished) but would drop off my VW filter for them to put in at no charges.

I would tell them you shouldn't have to pay for the labor but will pay for the filter.
That's what's they're telling me. $72 for OEM filter. No labor

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
That's what's they're telling me. $72 for OEM filter. No labor
Thanks for pointing that out. It was even a few dollars cheaper at seacoast VW which is where I'm getting the work done. I called them this morning to ask why it was $72 if it was the part only and they were like oh yea that's with labor so it's just $28 or the part etc which I told them no problem and to go for it. I should have the car back next week. I'm hoping this fixes my problem and It's not the beginning of a string of follow up problems. 🤞

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i can can only say that unless the EGR pipe and filter are replaced, then you will be faced with reoccurring DPF failure. i went through two before they listened to me and did the job right. all good since, 50k give or take.
good luck :)

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
most states will allow one readiness monitor to be unset and still pass your car. not sure about ME, but Mass and NY are like that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Our local OBD test states 2001+ cars can have ONE unset monitor, but on the diesels, they all need to pass (even though that is not what it specifically states).

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The repair is complete but the MIL is still on. Dealership said they could drive it another 100-150 miles over the next 3-5 days and then I can pickup or I can do the miles. I am going to pick it up and see what happens. My thought was to clear the light and then see if it comes back. Any thoughts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd drive it 100 or 150 miles and if the light doesn't go out on its own then clear it. It may be needing to regen on its own and will just throw a code again if you clear it now.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
The repair is complete but the MIL is still on. Dealership said they could drive it another 100-150 miles over the next 3-5 days and then I can pickup or I can do the miles. I am going to pick it up and see what happens. My thought was to clear the light and then see if it comes back. Any thoughts?
Wait, they didn't clear it or drive it to make sure it was clear?

a) Are you in one of their loaners?
b) Is the dealership easy to get to for you?

If you're in a loaner (as I was 5x over emissions) and it's inconvenient to get back to the dealership then I would tell them to fix it and you'll get you car back when it's fully fixed.

If you take the car back, it's not fixed, you clear because tired of seeing MIL on and it comes back on, the saga starts all over again. Also, idk how many miles you had left on your warranty but if you go over and car isn't fixed from this, I'd want as much leverage as I could get to make sure the car is fully fixed before VWoA tells you that you're on your own. 😬

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Yeah, I find this odd, too. Maybe DPF replacement is different from other typical R&R procedures: read DTCs in ODIS, complete the R&R, reset DTCs in ODIS, test drive, scan for DTCs in ODIS, done. I understand (now) about the emissions readiness status bits taking some extensive highway driving to clear, but driving to clear the MIL ? Wouldn't Address 01 still show an emissions-related DTC here ? --g

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Ok so they didn't explain this correctly over the phone. I picked up the car this AM. The MIL light is off but the DPF light is on. It looks like they replaced the DPF, EGR filter and a couple sensors. They drove the car 2 miles according to the repair sheet. I thought they maybe drove it more because I thought I was close to empty on my gas and was planning on filling up near the dealership because gas is cheaper down there but when I picked up the car it was near full and had 170 miles on the trip odometer. I thought maybe they filled it and drove those miles but doesn't look like tbag according to the repair sheet so maybe I'm misremembering. Either way, MIL is off, DPF light is on. They told me to drive 150-200 miles and if light doesnt go off to come back.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so they didn't explain this correctly over the phone. I picked up the car this AM. The MIL light is off but the DPF light is on. It looks like they replaced the DPF, EGR filter and a couple sensors. They drove the car 2 miles according to the repair sheet. I thought they maybe drove it more because I thought I was close to empty on my gas and was planning on filling up near the dealership because gas is cheaper down there but when I picked up the car it was near full and had 170 miles on the trip odometer. I thought maybe they filled it and drove those miles but doesn't look like tbag according to the repair sheet so maybe I'm misremembering. Either way, MIL is off, DPF light is on. They told me to drive 150-200 miles and if light doesnt go off to come back.
So you have flashing coil light on right now? I would have never taken it back but that ship has sailed. Hopefully for a good outcome and no more wasted time for you my friend. Repair is complete and error lights on really doesn't compute and I'm surprised they sent you away (or even gave you the option to) like that. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
So you have flashing coil light on right now? I would have never taken it back but that ship has sailed. Hopefully for a good outcome and no more wasted time for you my friend. Repair is complete and error lights on really doesn't compute and I'm surprised they sent you away (or even gave you the option to) like that. 🤦🏾‍♂️
Flashing coil ligt? No. I have a solid Filter light on. It's the dpf light. Like this one https://images.app.goo.gl/pimcD9CU8KXr9jjj7

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DPF light should not be on. It should be reset, any time a DPF or deNOx catalyst gets replaced, that should be reset in the ECU, and then the light will go out. Your dealer is staffed by morons. It is in the Adaptation menu after a Login code is entered. I do these all the time. If the light is on, the ECU clearly doesn't know it has a new part installed.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
You need a DPF. Hopefully you will have better luck getting one for the Jetta than I am having getting a DPF for both of my 2014 Passats. One is drivable with the same code and an MIL on. The other is sitting at the dealer...they had to cut the rusty bolts to get the DPF off to replace my turbo back in March. Into month 5 and no replacement DPFs available and VWoA has no idea when/if they will be available again.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Update - the DPF dashboard light went off yesterday after 85 miles of driving. I thought I heard a Regen cycle concluding and maybe misses the beginning of it but I usually notice them so I think it was some kind of Regen trigger that lasted only a few seconds. Either way , all lights are off and car seems to be running fine. I'll probably clean out the muffler exhaust area and see if new soot starts forming.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
4 month update - no issues, no light. no signs of soot. Mileage hasnt improved or degraded. still averaging about 35-36mpg