P1144, P1441, P1549, P1631, CEL, Glowplug light flashes

89stingray454

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Well, hopefully the title of this thread gave away the fact that I've got some issues with my Golf. It's a 2000, ALH, manual transmissions. The only thing that I've done to it was to put an AFE intake under the hood....oh and a ventectomy.

A week and a half ago, I was running on fumes and I stopped to fill up. Within a minute or so of leaving the gas station, it went in to limp mode. I nursed it home where I have been trying to fix the problem. Initially, I was only getting the P1144 code. I read several threads that explained different ways to fix that. First, I put a new MAF sensor in and that didn't fix it (No joy). Still in limp mode, getting P1144 code and CEL on.
Then, I tried the dielectric grease around the MAF sensor connection. Still no joy. Limp mode, P1144, CEL.
One thread mentioned the relay #109 (I think someone also referred to it as #601). So, for my third step I replaced that. No joy. Limp mode, P1144, CEL
The last thing that I have tried....I removed the battery housing and cleaned all of the grounds, and I checked the wiring from the MAF sensor to the ground and found no damage whatsoever. Actually, all of the wiring looked very good for a 15 year old car. This made things worse: limp mode P1144, P1441, P1549, P1631, CEL, Glowplug light flashes.

According to my neighbors vehicle-computer (what's giving me the codes) the codes are as follows:
P1144 - Mass or Volume Flow circiuc open / short to ground
P1441 - EGR Valve circiut open / short to ground
P1549 - Boost pressure control valve short to ground
P1631 - Acceleration pedal Pos sensor 1 signal too high

So, while all of this is happening, the car will start perfectly and idle just fine. When you give it gas, it runs like crap, and won't go over 2000rpm or so. When I give it gas, it also puts out a bunch of smoke. The smoke isn't black, it's more of a grey or blueish grey. I really hope that I have provided enough information for anyone to give me some help.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do next, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance for your time. My next option is going to be to take somewhere, which I really can't afford right now.

Thanks again for any helpful responses,

Clint

2003VW

TDI
2003 Jetta
CEL Problem

Have a similar problem; lots of codes and engine did not run right. Turned out to be a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and all was well.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The last thing that I have tried....I removed the battery housing and cleaned all of the grounds, and I checked the wiring from the MAF sensor to the ground and found no damage whatsoever. Actually, all of the wiring looked very good for a 15 year old car. This made things worse: limp mode P1144, P1441, P1549, P1631, CEL, Glowplug light flashes.

According to my neighbors vehicle-computer (what's giving me the codes) the codes are as follows:
P1144 - Mass or Volume Flow circiuc open / short to ground
P1441 - EGR Valve circiut open / short to ground
P1549 - Boost pressure control valve short to ground
P1631 - Acceleration pedal Pos sensor 1 signal too high

So, while all of this is happening, the car will start perfectly and idle just fine. When you give it gas, it runs like crap, and won't go over 2000rpm or so. When I give it gas, it also puts out a bunch of smoke. The smoke isn't black, it's more of a grey or blueish grey. I really hope that I have provided enough information for anyone to give me some help.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do next, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance for your time. My next option is going to be to take somewhere, which I really can't afford right now.

Thanks again for any helpful responses,

Clint
I'm wondering if when you were cleaning the grounds you left one off??
Maybe from moving the wires while you were cleaning them the insulation cracked from old age and wires are touching?
I had the battery disconnected for 2 days during a timing belt change and had no problems other then loosing the radio stations.
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes & check for codes before starting the engine.
If the codes are back right then I would start looking for broken or frayed wires.

Hope this helps.
Rich W.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The OP mentions the word gas; hopefully that is not what is in his tank. Erase the codes and start anew.