p0638 - New throttle body covered by warranty

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just an FYI - I experienced flashing glow plug and check engine lights with a service now message in the center display. I scanned the car with VCDS and found the p0638 code below. The dealer is replacing the throttle body and said it's covered by the extended warranty from dieselgate. My car is a 2010 Golf with 181K miles.

1 Fault:
001592 - Throttle Body Actuator Bank 1 (J338)
P0638 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON

davebell1

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
thanks for the heads up. when we got the "fix", it took about a month to get the Jetta back, because they were out of the repair kit, then after installation we didn't get it back for another week because of this throttle body code, within a week the code came back P0638 (01592), but really no observable effect on performance. then this week the DPF clogged and got the dreaded limp mode with P2463 code (009315) excessive soot accumulation. its been a year or so since the dieselgate fix 285kmilesJetta TDI SPortwagen... I guess I need to bring it to the dealer, been procrastinating because of the hassle last time. (this is my son's TDI, he is driving mine) any recommendations when talking with dealer??

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
They'll probably give the normal BS... if it's not covered under warranty you're responsible for the diagnostic fee yada yada yada. Just say okay, or politely remind them that the dieselgate warranty covers any CEL. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have codes, give them what you know and symptoms, but everything related to emissions is covered. Don't worry about it

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
thanks for the heads up. when we got the "fix", it took about a month to get the Jetta back, because they were out of the repair kit, then after installation we didn't get it back for another week because of this throttle body code, within a week the code came back P0638 (01592), but really no observable effect on performance. then this week the DPF clogged and got the dreaded limp mode with P2463 code (009315) excessive soot accumulation. its been a year or so since the dieselgate fix 285kmilesJetta TDI SPortwagen... I guess I need to bring it to the dealer, been procrastinating because of the hassle last time. (this is my son's TDI, he is driving mine) any recommendations when talking with dealer??
FWIW I had my 2013 JSW undergo the emissions fix at about 68,000 miles. 8,000 miles later it threw a code (a sensor code, not the ones you are having) but ran fine.

When I took it in (different dealer from the place that installed the emissions fix, as I had moved in the interim) they came back and said the DPF was clogged. That seemed rather odd and to this day I think something didn't get done properly when the fix was done and caused the DPF to clog.

I have VCDS and after this started monitoring the ash load, it's spot on at around 8 - 10 ml added per 10,000 miles. In theory a DPF should go 450,000 miles (IIRC the max ashload is 450 ml) before needing replacement but of course they rarely last that long.

How many miles since the fix?

Also the dieselgate warranty covers up to 130,000 miles/10 years from the date of service or another metric I cannot recall that is aimed at cars bought used with the fix. Note the 130k/10 years bit is whichever is LONGER. So your car might still be covered if it has been in service less than 10 years.

OTOH the dealer might get VW to cover it anyway even if the coverage is no longer in effect, just to keep it out of the news "VW refuses to fix owner's polluting diesel" headline that sort of thing.

Good luck!

Analogeezer