P0322 code

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My daughter has a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. She started having problems with it lurching at times while driving. Always would catch again and continue running. Initially it did not come up with a code. Finally flashing glow plug light came on and scanned it for the p0322 code. This points to the engine speed sensor which is located down by the oil filter underneath. Either something is wrong with the wiring or the sensor is bad. In order to do the replacement or check the oil filter seems to really need to be out of the way. This works out okay for us as she is due an oil change soon anyway. Saw a recent post on here about Brink's Auto in Austin area and decided to try them as a trusted mechanic. Spoke to them on the phone today and made an appointment for next Monday. Easy to deal with. So far. I have a new sensor on the way from ID parts. They can do the oil change and check out the sensor and wiring while they're in there. Looks to be pretty straightforward once the car is in the air and oil filter out of the way. Interested to see what the problem actually is and it would be great to find another trusted mechanic close here.

I would normally do something like this myself, but it seems like an excellent opportunity to work with Brinks Auto and check them out so we have a known quantity for the future if needed. Hewlett VW here has been pretty decent with their service over the years since I've owned these cars. Her car just came off of warranty so an independent may be a better choice for her.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of those get messed up from people not being careful when servicing the oil filter. The harness is right near it, and if the filter drain is not used, they'll also make a giant mess of everything.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks for the info. One of the pictures on the Ross tech site showed something similar but it was coolant in there instead. I will ask Brinks Auto to check on that. The dealer has been servicing it here locally. They usually have been pretty good over the years though.

kfumer

TDI
2015 2.0 tdi CVCA CRUA
Thanks for the info. One of the pictures on the Ross tech site showed something similar but it was coolant in there instead. I will ask Brinks Auto to check on that. The dealer has been servicing it here locally. They usually have been pretty good over the years though.
By coolant do you mean coolant had been spilled all over the wiring harness/sensor?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
and gotten into the connection plug. Check the pick. It was from a toureg though IIRC. Due to a leak. I will post what Brinks says. idparts.com has the sensor on the way, just in case.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 wagon BEW; 2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA
The pic and description in the VCDS page is coolant by the ECU causing the code, but I don't think that is very common in CVCA/CRUA cars.

The crank position sensor plug is 2 wires only.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Car went in Sunday evening (night drop). Had everything done by 9am Monday morning. Oil change and replace the sensor with the one I bought from idparts.com. Nice people working there from my short time with them. Bill seemed a little expensive at $84 for oil and filter plus $50 labor and $150 labor to install the sensor. I did ask them to check the wiring and plug for anything and it states they did and cleaned up some mess in there, pins and socket included. I imagine oil as OH suggested above. But the work was done and the code is cleared and didn't come back on or jerk on the way home, at least. Fingers crossed. I will put them on the list if needed for something I don't want to do. In all fairness this job would have been really easy, and I should have done it myself. All in all a very good experience!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, I'd have charged you more too if you brought your own part. Or just refused to do it. You don't bring your own food to a restaurant, do you? Bring your own Novocain to the dentist? Didn't think so.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have made the same deal with other mechanics without issue. No warranty, but I usually pick good shops where I trust the work. I also wasn't complaining about the price, just mentioned it, as it was a little more than expected, but not excessive. You are free to charge more or turn away business as you see fit. Not like I forced them to do the work. It was a mutually agreed arrangement.

As I said, everything worked out well for both of us, despite your feelings about it.