P0087.... again

Red Antler

TDI
2011 VW Golf 2.0 6MT
Hello all, i had a p0087 code around 2200 miles ago, i replaced the metering valve and it ran fine, i drove it from NC to NV in 3 days, not a single hiccup, now i get the code again, the car will stutter and die, glowplug light on. I changed the fuel filter (wasnt really that dirty) and now it drives fine again. But i don't think that fixed it. Any ideas? The car would start after 3-4 cycles of the key, then drive for a few miles before dying again. Currently at 111k miles

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello all, i had a p0087 code around 2200 miles ago, i replaced the metering valve and it ran fine, i drove it from NC to NV in 3 days, not a single hiccup, now i get the code again, the car will stutter and die, glowplug light on. I changed the fuel filter (wasnt really that dirty) and now it drives fine again. But i don't think that fixed it. Any ideas? The car would start after 3-4 cycles of the key, then drive for a few miles before dying again. Currently at 111k miles
Any other codes? Under warrenty? Suspect hpfp failure

Red Antler

TDI
2011 VW Golf 2.0 6MT
Just this code, i don't believe it's under warranty anymore. Would it really be the HPFP? I thought those were catastrophic failures. Like, the car wouldnt run after they failed

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Not every time a hpfp craps out does it immediately cause a no start. Maybe pull the metering valve out and check for glitter. Common rail systems generally have a limiter valve (relief valve) that returns fuel to tank. I may have never laid hands on a Vw common rail diesel, but worked on a whole lot of Cummins, Hino, Isuzu, etc. They all have rail pressure limiters. The rail pressure limiters also usually fail when the metering valves go bad. Your issue could be a fuel restriction, bad hpfp, if the car has a lift pump that could have failed too), what I posted above, wiring issue, etc.

Red Antler

TDI
2011 VW Golf 2.0 6MT
Not every time a hpfp craps out does it immediately cause a no start. Maybe pull the metering valve out and check for glitter. Common rail systems generally have a limiter valve (relief valve) that returns fuel to tank. I may have never laid hands on a Vw common rail diesel, but worked on a whole lot of Cummins, Hino, Isuzu, etc. They all have rail pressure limiters. The rail pressure limiters also usually fail when the metering valves go bad. Your issue could be a fuel restriction, bad hpfp, if the car has a lift pump that could have failed too), what I posted above, wiring issue, etc.
Interesting, as when it threw this code before i swapped my metering valve. But not my rail pressure limiter. I'll check for metal shavings again. And give that limiter a good look over, is there any real way to test it?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Interesting, as when it threw this code before i swapped my metering valve. But not my rail pressure limiter. I'll check for metal shavings again. And give that limiter a good look over, is there any real way to test it?
Again, can't say specifically on your engine, but generally on a common rail, you remove the fuel line that carries the return fuel from the limiter to tank ( I personally take a clean bolt and nut that are close to the banjo size, and install the nut/ bolt just a bit past hand tight, with the copper washers under the bolt head and nut to seal them off, since injector return fuel is usually tee'd into that same line back to tank) to keep from making a big fuel mess. Then start the engine and check for leakage from the limiter. If it doesn't leak at idle, warm the engine up and floor it for a few seconds, check for leakage. If it still doesn't leak, go drive it around the block where you can really put it under a load, and re check for leakage. If you don't find any leakage from the limiter, I'd say it's good.

I'd definitely check your metering valve and the associated hpfp cavity for metal first though.

Red Antler

TDI
2011 VW Golf 2.0 6MT
I couldn't say honestly, i recently got the car, did my timing belt, water pump, and an oil change+filter. The only thing i didn't change was that fuel pump, i ran stanadyne through the system however. (Attached is my old filter adjacent to, albiet the wrong kind, a new filter)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Did you clean the canister before reinstalling the filter? The cp4 pumps are rather sensitive.

Red Antler

TDI
2011 VW Golf 2.0 6MT
Did you clean the canister before reinstalling the filter? The cp4 pumps are rather sensitive.
I did clean it and installed a completely new filter from VW. It now starts and runs fine, however I'm concerned that a simple filter change did not fix it. Would this be considered an extremely dirty filter? I'm used to old fuel filters being completely black.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i had the same problem after using the "fill the canister" fuel filter change method. solved it by using VCDS to properly prime the system and purge the air.