P/d Egr Cooler Recall

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
just got an advanced copy from VW about recall on p/d egr cooler replacment. check you mail for a recall notice soon. :)

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
This is great news for all of us PD owners! I haven't had the problem yet, but I'm only at 31k miles. So this will be an actual recall? (everyones replaced regardless of any problems or not).... not just a TSB where you have to have the symptoms to have the new part installed.

TEM

TDI
04 Jetta 5m Platinum Grey TDI
Don't worry you will start losing coolant sooner or later.

Its about time VWOA did something for us.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
vwrobert51 said:
just got an advanced copy from VW about recall on p/d egr cooler replacment. check you mail for a recall notice soon. :)
This IS GOOD NEWS!

Is there any way to post the recall?

Thanks.

--Nate

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
i'm at 29k on my '04 PD; please keep us posted with the latest, we need to take advantage of VW's freebies before we run into coolant loss problems. very much appreciated.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
A coolant loss with no leak - does that mean you 10 k changes were eating coolant ??? what - if so that was nice to the mains and the rings - maybe those 5k changes by the dealer were for a reason -

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Cool. Im at 49,000 miles with no sign yet of coolant loss. I would love to get that replaced so I don't have to worrry about "when", not "if" it will start leaking.

Last edited:

ZipLock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I just noticed coolant is disappearing too! I've been closely monitoring the coolant level ever since after the low coolant light initially came on last week. I left my car parked for three days with no signs of any leakage under the car where it’s parked and no missing coolant from the reservoir. It only seems to loose coolant while driving. I’ve lost about 8 oz last week over 500 miles of driving.

I have a 2004 PD with 57k miles. This is the first problem I’ve had with the car so it’s a sad time for me. I called the dealer and he couldn’t find any open campaigns under my VIN number. I haven’t gotten anything in the mail. Is there a specific recall number I should be asking about?

Also, because this is the newbie section, is there any harm in continuing to drive the car with this slow leak?

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
called my local dealer today and asked a guy in the service dept. about it. he said he hadn't heard anything but that he'd check and get back to me. per my dealer's usual stellar service, he never got back to me.

ZipLock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
wjdell said:
mileage smoking anything
Mileage is 57,000. I haven't noticed any abnormal smoke.

Perhaps vwrobert51 could share more details about his advanced copy of the recall notification that he obtained.

ZipLock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Well I was concerned about the coolant migration so I took it to the dealer. I told them I was 99.9% sure it was the ERG cooler and they confimed that it was indead the ERG cooler after looking at it for 5 mins. They have no record of any recall for my VIN number and it's costing me $860 to get it fixed. :(

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
I'm having trouble with the merit of this news VWRoberts. An actual recall is posted on this thread (for PD pumps not EGR coolers): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=147849

Note in that recall the dealer confirms the recall by going online and accessing VW"s computer system set up for that purpose. That would be instantaneous from the official issuance of the recall by the factory. No waiting to get mail. So, since one owner has already checked with the dealer and found nothing, it seems pretty clear no recall has actually been issued, at least for the VIN the of the poster with the EGR problem above.

Based on that recall in the other thread I called a dealer and gave them my VIN on my 04 Jetta TDI wagon , it was within the vin range numbers listed, and they said there were no active recalls on on my particular vehicle. That would seem to apply to EGR's too. There might be something less than a full recall issued about the EGR coolers (sevice bulletin, etc). And, certainly, its still possible one might be being considered and might be issued any minute, but, at the moment, as Ziplock has established, no means no. Yes?

Last edited:

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
ZipLock said:
Well I was concerned about the coolant migration so I took it to the dealer. I told them I was 99.9% sure it was the ERG cooler and they confimed that it was indead the ERG cooler after looking at it for 5 mins. They have no record of any recall for my VIN number and it's costing me $860 to get it fixed. :(
ziplock,

do a search in the forums for similar problems (search for things like coolant or disappearing coolant or egr cooler). if i remember correctly, there have been many instances where this problem has been finally diagnosed as being the egr cooler, and the repair has been taken care of at vw expense. maybe this will help you with your dealer, if you can give them concrete proof that vw paid for it in other circumstances.

ZipLock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
$860 later I have my car back and I new ERG cooler installed. When I was driving home from the dealer I noticed that my car no longer had the power it used to. I knew right away that the dealer had done something to break my turbo. I listened for it while driving parallel to a wall and I could hear the turbo start to spool but instantly release. I took it back to the dealer and they wasted two hours of my time to discover that they forgot to attach a vacuum hose that caused the waste gate value to be stuck in the open position.

I've read all the horror stories on hear about dealers so I've done all my own maintenance work over the past 58k miles but this was more then I felt comfortable with and I wanted this to be documented in VW's system in case the recall pans out and so I can get reimbursed. This is the first time that my car has been to the dealer and I'm less then impressed with how they forgot to put it all back together.

I'm going to do an oil change this weekend to clean out whatever coolant may have worked its way in there as a result of this leak.

Jwagen04

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, '04, Shadow Blue
I hope that recall comes in the mail soon. Mine is starting to eat coolant now as well. :(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
thermographer said:
Just noticed my coolent level is down, first time at 118K miles. I'll call as soon as I get home!
Note to folks about Thermographers car. Those 118,000 miles are almost all highway miles. I believe he has been across the country more times than most normal folks want to think about.

Of course, I don't think about because I'm not normal, but I'm pointing this out so folks can gather a bit more helpful information on when these coolers fail in regards to the driving conditions.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I replaced the EGR cooler on my mom's car a few months ago. I wonder if VW will reimburse me for the $405 I spent on the part itself... probably not.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
just to make it clear!!! i said it was an advanced notice! on egr recall comming. what needs to happen is a replacement stock of coolers needs to be sent out, this will take some time to get in place, so for now if anyone needs to replace coolers now and dealer doesnt have recall notice, get the cooler replaced and keep recipt, and you should be refunded if your car come out under recall, as for now its 2004 and up p/d with bew eng code 03 and down not covered, as you have a differant system. this was ment to be only an FYI post, as most dealers dont have info yet. will post update soon.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
vwrobert51 said:
just to make it clear!!! i said it was an advanced notice! on egr recall comming. what needs to happen is a replacement stock of coolers needs to be sent out, this will take some time to get in place, so for now if anyone needs to replace coolers now and dealer doesnt have recall notice, get the cooler replaced and keep recipt, and you should be refunded if your car come out under recall, as for now its 2004 and up p/d with bew eng code 03 and down not covered, as you have a differant system. this was ment to be only an FYI post, as most dealers dont have info yet. will post update soon.
Good to hear VW Robert. As the owner of an O4 Jetta TDI, I am looking forward to those corporate mechanisms clicking in to place!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
McBrew said:
I replaced the EGR cooler on my mom's car a few months ago. I wonder if VW will reimburse me for the $405 I spent on the part itself... probably not.
If I was you I would write allot of letters - If you discovered the defect and paid the dealer - then a reacall for that car. you have a case

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I did not pay a dealer, though. I bought the new EGR cooler from Impex and replaced it myself. The problem started just after her car was out of warranty. I was hoping that they would do a 'good faith' repair on it since it was a known issue. The service manager claimed never to have heard of a leaking EGR cooler... and this was less than a week after the same dealership had replaced one on another TDI club member's car. I am sure they had replaced many others, as well.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
aren't they the most helpful AND knowledgeable folks, those VW service managers? it makes you wonder how truly GREAT an experience owning a VW would be if they actually cared...

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
vwrobert51 said:
as for now its 2004 and up p/d with bew eng code 03 and down not covered, as you have a differant system.
Thanks for the info and the follow-up detail. I'm being a bit dense on a Monday and would appreciate one clarification: Am I reading your post right to mean that
2004 and newer PD (BHW?) will be in the recall and
2003 and older (BEW?) will not be in the recall.

Soryy to be a dunderhead! :eek:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
McBrew said:
I did not pay a dealer, though. I bought the new EGR cooler from Impex and replaced it myself. The problem started just after her car was out of warranty. I was hoping that they would do a 'good faith' repair on it since it was a known issue. The service manager claimed never to have heard of a leaking EGR cooler... and this was less than a week after the same dealership had replaced one on another TDI club member's car. I am sure they had replaced many others, as well.
Hey, perhaps the dealer WAS being honest, maybe the dealer technicians (and service writers) do not know what EGR coolers are--They just write down the part number off of it and go to the parts window and say "get me one of these":rolleyes:

--Nate