OWNERS...Check your oil level before leaving dlr!!

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2
Hi Everyone....

Just a heads up. I did NOT check my oil level after leaving the dealer. I should have! I was sooo excited about getting it and I was driving it around happy as a clam...until the 5th day....

At this point I was planning on fueling her up! The manual states to check oil level at every fill up and this is something I do anyhow with all my vehicles.

Lo and behold look.....

<font color="red"> NOTE: The oil is up over the top of the bulb at the left of the photo...i took this photo here in an attempt to show the mileage. </font>

I called the dealer and some other ones that friends work at across the country. The manual specifically states that you should not start the vehicle as damage to the catalytic converter and engine may result and to contact your dealer/service immediately.

The suggestion was to have the oil drained and replaced. The service manager stated that there was no oil added in PDI and that it must have come from VW that way.

1) If it was overserviced from factory and they check the oil at PDI....why wasn't some of the oil removed?

2) If it was overserviced from the PDI at the dealer then it should not have been.

Either way I am letting VWoA know about this. I know of one other person that just had the same problem once I brought his attention to it. They may be coming from factory like this or dealers are adding too much oil perhaps. In any case, I will have the oil changed at the dealer per instructions from them AND will let VWoA know. Dont want any warranty issues in the future.

Also, I was told that it was not going to hurt anything by having it overfilled like that. As long as there was no foaming or aeration it would be just fine...that is from my service mgr....hmmmmmm

Thought you all should know.

Regards,

Mike

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
It's fine.

If it was overfilled by an inch or so I would probably raise an eyebrow...but its not.

Just drive it, and its not worth taking to the dealer to drain.

New owners always get really sensitive about the car, a slight overfill is absolutley NOTHING to worry about.

DB

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks DB.

Unfortunately VW does a POOR job on their manual. The little notes/warnings/cautions sound like the end of the world!

It is worse than my Dash-1 to our plane!

In any other vehicle I would let it slide but VW actually seems to want to "Lawyer up with ya" when you call and ask them questions about maintenance/warranty stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Mike

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks DB.

Unfortunately VW does a POOR job on their manual. The little notes/warnings/cautions sound like the end of the world!

It is worse than my Dash-1 to our plane!

In any other vehicle I would let it slide but VW actually seems to want to "Lawyer up with ya" when you call and ask them questions about maintenance/warranty stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Mike

NoFreeRides

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Silver
I was a sensitive new TDI owner

I had the same apparent oil overfill problem after I drove the car off the lot. I noticed it was at the top of the bulb. I came to these forums and found plenty of info that said don't worry about it. The dealer did my 5000 and it was at the top of the bulb. I didn't worry about. No smoke, no problems. My car runs great. I know this is annoying "because the book says" terrible things will happen. Like DrivBiWire says, unless its an inch over the bulb don't worry about it.

I just did my own 2005.5 oil change and put in 5 quarts. Here's my experience https://home.comcast.net/~perrondb1/Jetta_TDI_OilChange/Index.htm

The 5 quarts I put in put the oil level at the top of the bulb.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
some A5s have the wrong length dipstick. Make sure you check that u have the right one.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Previous ownership of a MKIV, and now the MKV, I have discovered that a true reading of Oil Level can only happen after 30 to 60 minutes of the engine sitting in the non operational condition (OFF).
If you find that after an hour of sitting level, the OIL is above the upper black ball, then take it back to have it drained, and properly re-filled.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
You may want to check if there is an "M" on the dipstick, they were recalled and were too long showing an artificially high reading. If the dipstick has an "M" on it, it is in the recall even if it was out of the VIN range that was stated on one of the posts. Mine read at the top of the ball with the original, right in the middle of the replacement, and mine was out of the VIN range for the recall, but VW said if it has a "M", it's included. I've read on some of the posts that some 2006 models had the dipstick.

Last edited:

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I just checked my oil today with my first fillup of my 2006 Jetta TDI and found the level also near the top of the uppermost 'bulb'. Initially I was also a bit concerned since the manual forbade driving if it is above the 'Max' level. I havent had any dire consequences and DB's post eased my mind. I looked for an 'M' but couldnt find any anywhere, although the print is so small maybe I missed it, but I doubt if there is one. These dipsticks are oddly round compared to my old 1997 Jetta TDI's. What happened to the old flat sticks?:D

05TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005,
Some dealers are more careful than others. When I had my Passat TDI Wagon in for its first service, it was at a different dealer than where I normally go, (Different State, country etc.) It was in FLorida but the car is from Ontario Canada. The dealer there put in 5 quarts when the manual calls for 4.3. Needless to say, we were WAY over the full mark. Had to go back and get some drained. THen I had to leave before checking, and sure enough, it was still way over filled when they were done. Had to drive 2500 KM that way, constantly checking the oil every fuel stop and rest area. Got back home, before unpacking the car, stopped at my local dealer, they drained and re-filled no questions asked. They were shocked at the treatment in the US, unfortunately from what I have read from here and others, it was typical treatment.

When you read the owner manual you get a rather upset feeling when you see your car with this much oil. after 11,000 KM, all seems to be fine, altough time will tell if there are any complications.

Christopher
2005 Passat TDI Wagon

st50maint

TerryTDI said:
I just checked my oil today with my first fill up of my 2006 Jetta TDI and found the level also near the top of the uppermost 'bulb'.
I also thought my 06 Jetta was overfilled because the "uppermost bulb" had oil on it. However it did not seem right because although it had oil on it, it did not seem wet enough. I experimented by putting the dipstick in but not all the way. I found that if you stop about a half inch to an inch before it would be all the way down, the "uppermost bulb" would still have almost the same amount of oil on it, even though the area right below had none. I assume it is picking up stray oil from the dipstick tube as it rubs the sides on its way down and back up.

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
st50maint said:
I also thought my 06 Jetta was overfilled because the "uppermost bulb" had oil on it. However it did not seem right because although it had oil on it, it did not seem wet enough. I experimented by putting the dipstick in but not all the way. I found that if you stop about a half inch to an inch before it would be all the way down, the "uppermost bulb" would still have almost the same amount of oil on it, even though the area right below had none. I assume it is picking up stray oil from the dipstick tube as it rubs the sides on its way down and back up.
Good point, thanks for your experimentation. That may be the source of my seemingly 'excessive' oil also.