Owner experience comparison 2015 GSW to previous version JSW?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I'm interested in hearing from owners who switched from a 2009+ Jetta Sportwagon to a 2015 GSW. Things you like, things that got worse. Driveability & handling (does the downgraded rear suspension really make a difference? Range difference due to smaller tank compensated by better fuel mileage?) interior look and feel, maintenance (besides the oil filter location, what else has gotten worse?).

The threads in this forum already cover issues that people discovered, but I would be interested in direct comparisons of the owner experience of both cars.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
So nobody changed from a 2009+ JSW TDI to a 2015+ GSW TDI? Bummer. I was hoping somebody would have a direct comparison.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I've had a 2009 with a manual trans, was a great car.
Now I have a 2015 GSW ( DSG), it is even better, the new engine is more fuel efficient and seems to have more power.
Handling seems about the same to me.
More features on the 2015 such as keyless start/stop. Better radio, back up cam.
I like the 2015 engine better.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for replying! So the interior feels the same, except for more features on the GSW? And the different rear suspension makes no difference? What about range? Does the better mpg compensate for the smaller tank?

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
We have both a 2009 Jetta SW and a 2015 GSW, both 6 speed manual.
The EA288 engine on the 2015 model is very nice, gets much better gas mileage than the EA189 from the 2009 model.
However, VW did cut some corners on the 2015 to keep price down: the wheels are made in China, no cover on the spare tire as was provided on the 2009 model...the door seals do not seem as well designed on the 2015...the back seats do not lift up as on the 2009, so the rear backrests do not lie totally flat when lowered.
The lack of rear independent suspension is also quite a bummer in my eyes, as it is quite a step back in road handling...depending upon the road type, speed and driving style, one may notice it more or less...
Wish we could get a wagon with the EA288 engine and independent rear suspension...maybe the 2017 models if VW brings the TDI engines back to the USA, but I doubt it...for space constraints..strange, one would think they could figure a way to have the addblue injection and independent rear suspension.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
OOOOOOOOPS, Sorry I thought I was in the Passat thread.

Somewhat off subject:
I came from a 2002 Jetta TDI. When I was in HEAVY rain the roof absorbed the sound.
By comparison my 2015 Passat TDI sounds like I'm in a tin can.
Also when I dropped the hood on the Jetta it was a satisfying "clunk", then again the Passat sounds like a tin can.

Anyone else feel the same?

Also has anyone added more sound insulation under the hood ??? Pretty sure there is nothing to be done about the roof.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Test drove the GSW and bought a low mileage 2013 JSW.
The GSW was lower (old necks and knees gettin in and out)
Seemed to not have the torque grunt of our 2009.
The dash was "shiney" and the wife didn't like it.
The CD player was in the glove box and my Audio book on CD wife REALLY did not like that.
Has a little shorter rear storage with the seats up or down.
The back seats would not fold the same way.
If we were to have to replace the JSWs it would probably not be with a GSW.
We looked at the Tiguan, but the dealer decided he liked it better than we did so we did not buy it and we are pleased in retrospect.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I sold my 2010 JSW TDI 3 weeks before dieselgate and bought a 2015 GSW TDI SE. Initially I thought the rear suspension might be an issue. After almost one year and 19100 miles I do like the 2015 better than the 2010 because of all the extras and better mileage. I haven't done the second oil change yet so I can't comment on how much a problem that will be. I hear we may get an extended emission warranty if we get our cars repaired and I really like that idea.

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
I own a 2011 Sportwagen and a 2015 four door Golf. The 2015 rides much nicer. I have to watch myself because the Golf does 80 mph so smooth I don't notice it.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Data point: I just talked to a mechanic at an independent car repair shop who test drove a 2012 Sportwagon, and then bought a 2015 (TDI SEL wagon with all options), and says he initially hated the 2015's rear suspension. Could clearly feel it on freeway on and off ramps. He added a stiffer rear sway bar to his 2015 wagon.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Test drove the GSW and bought a low mileage 2013 JSW.
The GSW was lower (old necks and knees gettin in and out)
Seemed to not have the torque grunt of our 2009.
The dash was "shiney" and the wife didn't like it.
The CD player was in the glove box and my Audio book on CD wife REALLY did not like that.
Has a little shorter rear storage with the seats up or down.
The back seats would not fold the same way.
If we were to have to replace the JSWs it would probably not be with a GSW.
We looked at the Tiguan, but the dealer decided he liked it better than we did so we did not buy it and we are pleased in retrospect.
Still pondering whether to turn in the 2012 TDI JSW, and buy a stored-at-the-dealer 2015 TDI GSW S model.
I think the fake metal dash might be what will kill it for me. Do the 2015 TDIs all have that, or is there another version with a different dash finish/color that one could be looking for?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hmm, is there an aftermarket to replace those annoying parts you mentioned?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Unfortunately the after market won't fix the back seats and lower roof line.
I guess the shiney dash we could paint with Rustoleum brown primer or something.
All in all we bought the 2013 because we liked it better than the new GSW.