Overview of the TDI´s in Golf/Bora 2001+

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
90 and 110 hp are out for a long time now.

The 90hp is going to get replaced by a 100hp PD engine (240Nm @ 1800rpm). First engines out very soon. For now this engine can only make the Euro3-limits (important for taxation in Germany), but in 2001 they expect to have this engine Euro4-legit (tax exemption of 1200DM). Currently the 3L Lupo is the only diesel engine in the world to be certiefied Euro4.
Price in Germany is 500 DM up against 90hp version. First tests say driveability is up (more than numbers tell), but sound is a little harsher and fuel consumption is down from 4.9 to 5.0 liters / 100km.

The engine can be combined with 4motion AWD and is mated to a new gearbox (MQ250). AWD alway with 6speed, FWD will get 6-speed as option. 5-speed tiptronic as option for FWD, too.

The 115PD engine features the same turbo (Garrett VNT 15) with higher boost pressure.

The 150hp PD has 320Nm@1900rpm and features a bigger turbo (Garrett VNT 17) with boost pressure up to 1,2 bar. Highest specific output (79,1hp/L) of all diesel engines ever. Sixspeed gearbox (MQ350) standard, AWD optional. 5-speed tiptronic in 2001.

In spring 2001 you can have the 130hp PD of Audi in the Golf, too. (310Nm @ 1900rpm). Test drive here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/003174.html

The older 90hp and 110hp will be out of production by mid-2001. Until then there are 6 (!) diesel engines used in the Golf range:
68hp SDI
90hp TDI
100hp TDI-PD
110hp TDI
130hp TDI-PD
150hp TDI-PD.

To cater for the fleet market, VW needs to develop a less powerful engine to replace the 68 SDI (non-turbo). You can expect 75hp, given the other companies contestants.

BTW, the 20th million Golf has just been produced !
Happy birthday !

Claus

------------------
´92 VW Polo G40 - 1272ccm / 113bhp
´97 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDI - 2461ccm / 140bhp Ad: "Why settle for moving with the times, when you can overtake them ?"
HP: http://www.planet-interkom.de/CFriedriszik

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
"The older 90 and 110 hp will be out of production by mid 2001".

Does this mean we in the U.S. will not be able to get any TDI's for the second half of the model year?!! I thought the PD engines were not compatible with the U.S. market, due to either fuel sulfur concerns or an emission requirement.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The new 100hp "Pump-Duse" runs just fine on the high sulfur fuel. It's only when you increase the engines output that the high sulfur makes it difficult for the catalyst to do it's job in reducing polutants. As sulfur levels decrease we will see higher output levels in the TDI engine family here in the US.

The caviate to all this will be the SUV segment that will allow the sale of the V10 TDI without being affected by the more stringent automotive segment emissions criteria.

DB

amfvigil

I have recently bought a new VW Golf IV with 1.9 TDI 115HP 6-speed.

I would like to know what are the techincal differences between 1.9 115HP and new released 1.9 130HP.

Thanks.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I need to check out more magazines, but for now I strongly believe the difference is software only.

Note that up to NOW (i.e. today) there is no car out yet that has had the 115 and 130 both. A3 never had the 115, Golf up to now hasn´t the 130. I know for sure the 150hp is different in many aspects.
(That long talk was to tell you that there is no direct comparison possible yet)

And Passat got a facelift, so now direct comp. either.

amfvigil

Is it possible to upgrade 1.9 TDI 115 HP to 130 HP only by software upgrading?

Thanks.

------------------
VW Golf IV 1.9 TDI 115 CV
6-speeds, xenon, ESP, 16"
Reflex grey metallic

andrew

Seven TDI's and every one a 1.9...

Carazy, no!

It makes you wonder when we will start to see the smaller diesels in the golf. Is the A2 1.4 diesel a PD? Could it be the SDI replacement? I believe it is 75 bhp.

And what engine will they put in the A6? 130, 115, surely not 150 as that competes with the V6 TDI??? Or will they go 115, 150 1.9TDI and then 180 V6? Choices, choices

Oh, by the way, the A2 is just soooo.. cool!

Andrew
110bhp TDI

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
amfvigil,
my post just above yours was to say that there is no direct comparison possible yet - so I have no idea. The magazines didn´t tell any modifications so far.

andrew,
the 1.4 is a PD 3-cylinder. As it is not that frugal, I´d like to see another option.
They already have the 115hp manual version in the german konfigurator and dropped the 110hp manual and automatic. No automatic for the 115hp yet, I guess they will at last bring the tiptronic, while I´d like to have the multronic (CVT).

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Claus:

Regarding your quote - "the 1.4 is a PD 3-cylinder. As it is not that frugal" - do you suspect that this is because the engine is too small for the load it's carrying and is being overworked, hence the burning of more fuel?

Sometimes a larger (better matched) engine will get the same or better MPG than a smaller overworked one.

Paris4M115-6

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CFriedriszik:
No automatic for the 115hp yet, I guess they will at last bring the tiptronic, while I´d like to have the multronic (CVT).[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Claus,

Tiptronic is now available on the PD115 unit - it's available at every trim level (Base, Sport & Confort) in France for an extra 8,000 FF.

The TDi150 now appears in the French catalogue for the first time in Confort trim at 160,200 FF (3 door) or 164,200 FF (5 door) or in GTI spec at 171,400 FF (3 door) or 175,400 FF (5 door). This engine is also available in the Bora Sport (confusingly the top of the range model in Bora-speak!) at 166,400 FF (4 door only).

On the Dutch site, the TDi150 4Motion can already be configured, but it's not yet available in France. Do you know whether it's available in Germany yet?

Regards

Matt

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
TurboSteve,
100% NO. The 1.2 is even smaller and IS frugal. The 1.4 just likes to get the boot and the non-VNT configuration rewards revving the engine. Revs = low mpg.

Paris*,
I think you lost the context. I was answering andrew about the A6.
I know tip and 4motion are available with the Golf/Bora line. You can check out the German Konfigurator.
Works this way: www.volkswagen.de ,go to "Erkunden Sie unser Angebot", got to "Golf", then "konfigurieren: GOLF".

iris

TDI
gti tdi 150 bhp , 2001, grey
SO WHAT ABOUT THE BADGES?

90 hp = chrome chrome chrome
110 hp = chrome chrome red
115 hp = chrome red red
130 hp = ????
150 hp = red red red

russla

Veteran Member
So when will we know the differences between the 115PD and the 130PD, wouldn't it be nice if you just had to buy something from VAG, just to get the extra oomph?

still waiting for my 115 pd.

Russ

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
130hp for now only in the Audi, red I only.
But expect to have the 130 in the Golf with DI in red, because even the 100hp will have a red DI.
So there goes a understandable nomenclature ...

And as far as I am concerned, I don´t give a **** about badges.
Upgrading from 100hp to 150hp is more than 5k$, upgrading badgewise is 5$. It´s not about the money, it´s about the honour.

The_Moose

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2000 Blue-Anthrazit
It could be so easy:

90hp chrome chrome chrome
100hp chrome red chrome
110hp red chrome chrome
115hp chrome red red
130hp red red chrome (the least consequent?)
150hp red red red

so a pumpe duse gives a red D
and the more powerful versions get a red I, the most powerful versions get a red T.

Too bad I'm not employed by VW. Could have gotten me a good bargain on a red red red one I think....

Greetings,
VW Moose.

------------------
The_Moose,
'00 Bora TDI-PD, Blue-Anthracit, C'line, 6-Speed Manual, Clima, ASR, CD & CD-Changer, 40.000 km.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Right. Whenever I need to get depressed, I just do a search for "150hp PD."

Jeesh. What a lame country I live in. At least in regards to the automotive industry. Americans are freaking automotive lemmings, following one another down the road of cheapness and tasteless styling. What a pity.

DSLPWR

Gene K

Rumor is that VW is trying to certify the 115 bhp PD for the 2002 model year that would result in about 110 bhp due to slight calibration differences. If cat durability proves to be a insurmountable hurdle the fall back position is for a 90-100 bhp PD for the 2002 model year.

Anybody here who really knows?

------------------

Gene K