Overheating no fans

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I highly recommend that you get arp studs as they have a better holding power and are reusable.
From now on that’s all I’m gonna use on my cars.

Az.Nick

TDI
2003 1.9
Honestly I can't remember had a friend thats had several VW's do most of it, but will reach out and see what all was done. Work was done 30k ago, could this be something that can happen over time or if warped it would be immediate?
Just spoke to him it was checked for warpage and didn't have any.

Az.Nick

TDI
2003 1.9
The next thing is to be sure there's no breaks, or leaks, in the system!
The coolant system must be pressurized or it'll overheat! The pressure causes the coolant to boil at a higher temperature. So if the coolant ball is cracked, or there is a small hole in a hose, if the EGR cooler has a crack, you will have issues.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Ok, getting back to the oil film I just noticed in the surge tank, could that also be from a cracked/bad EGR?

Az.Nick

TDI
2003 1.9
update,

The new thermo switch arrived today and put it in, topped off coolant, evaced the air out of the cooing system, then test drove. Traveled up hill about 4-5 miles and temp started to rise, pulled off to put the heat gun on the radiator and low and behold the fans were running on high speed. Drove up hill another few miles and them temp started to climb once again checked under the hood and fans back on high. (came on appx. 220F) then (shut down at appx. 220F FYI). Felt both the radiator hoses and the top was hot and the lower was cold. The flow issues was apparent, had my tools and to rule out further expense, I pulled the new t-stat (aftermarket) out and ran with out it the rest of the way up the hill. It never went above 190 degrees F. I read that another guy posted that he had the same issue and it only resolved after he installed an OEM. Also, as Eddie made mention to change the temp switch sensor with a new one, which I did with after MKT, and they both failed, and the new OEM is what I put in today and the fans run! Well time will tell on the rest of the possibilities/issues. Thanks to all that chimed in!

Az.Nick

TDI
2003 1.9
Sorry its been a few months to reply my findings and hope this helps someone in the future.
Yes it ended up being a head gasket and put a new head/bolts on it as well. Over heating issues resolved.
Thanks to all that chimed in!

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
My fans don't work period, and I live in Texas. Car does not overheat ever for anyone searching in the future, cooling fans on and Mkiv not working WILL NOT CAUSE AN OVERHEAT.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My fans don't work period, and I live in Texas. Car does not overheat ever for anyone searching in the future, cooling fans on and Mkiv not working WILL NOT CAUSE AN OVERHEAT.
That may be true, but it will kill your AC compressor, at last it did mine, took a year.

Az.Nick

TDI
2003 1.9
I apologize for this really late response, which I thought the response was sent but it didn't post. So here was my issue, and hopefully it helps someone else. The issue was due to a failed head gasket, which was pushing the hot coolant back into the overflow, during long hill climbing or running it harder. I replaced the gasket & head and went with the arp stud's, as csstevej recommended. Thanks to all that chimed in.