Overcoming big lag in 2005 Passat PD

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Hi all,

This one drives me absolutely mad. I've got two diesels on the road; 1) a 2001 Jetta with ALH. The throttle response on this car (even before I modded it) was pretty snappy. No noticeable delay while waiting for the VNT-15 to spool. It's a great little driver.

My 2005 Passat is PD and has the world's worst lag when you stomp it at low speeds.

If you gradually press the pedal, the car will accelerate, well, gradually. However, if you kickdown while in first gear, the car actually seems to cut fuel, then a second later, seems to turn it all on. Full boost, fuel, etc... and off you go. When you do this, the car actually slows down, unresponsive for that 1 second.

On the highway, it's less noticeable, as you don't always end up in a kickdown depending on the RPM that you're at, but there is still that 1 second delay when you're going medium speed and kickdown.

Are there some tricks that are used to change this?

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
That's the famous Tiptronic lag.

Recoding to the 1134 transmission code doesn't help the stoplight getaway lag, but it will help the kickdown BS.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
Really? That's just balls! all that because of Tiptronic? Is this mod the same as the Euro tweak? I heard that if you recode it sort of the same way the Euro cars were done, that it'll rev closer to redline before shifting. Wondering if this is the same.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There was also a TSB early on about the lag. I believe a software flash was provided by the dealers.

Code the trans to 1134 (like said above), add RC2 and hang on.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The TSB involved an overly zealous EGR cycle.
Sounds like something is wrong with OPs car.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I don't think anything is wrong. There are many reviews of this transmission across the Passat line that say things like "It's a great car except for the transmission: you hit the gas off the line and it falls flat on its face."

All in all, this ZF tiptronic is a big box of fail.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Hi all,

My 2005 Passat is PD and has the world's worst lag when you stomp it at low speeds.

Are there some tricks that are used to change this?
Yeah, don't stomp on it at low speeds.
Learn how to drive it. It is not your other car.
And the other advice given applies also.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, don't stomp on it at low speeds.
Learn how to drive it. It is not your other car.
And the other advice given applies also.
Hahaha. Noted. The wife drives it most of the time. It's "her" car.

RC2 is looking like it's going to happen. We've already adjusted our driving style for the most part. It's just when you need to move quickly, it's not a good feeling to be left hanging like that, particularly if you switch back and forth between the two cars (like I've had to do lately).

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll report back what I find.