over heating issue on the way to Tahoe. Aftermarket radiator or too much crap?

redscare

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Hi. So we went to Tahoe on a family trip. Car has 90K, I've had it for 8k, never saw the temp gauge move.
Car was loaded with quite a bit of crap (2 kids) with a roof box and bike on the roof.

On the way uphill, I had to drive 60 mph, no ac, 100+ outside in Roseville and Auburn.

Temps crept up to 240, but never over that. Gauge moved above 190 , but not the red position.
I hooked up my scan gauge after the third uphill with temps rising on the factory gauge.

Car is a salvage title, I dont know if the radiator was replaced with a factory one.

Now that I've been watching on my scan gauge, temps go up to 215-225 while driving up hill, (highway 9) to and from work. This is an unloaded car, no ac on and not drive hard.

So, Is this normal, too much crap on that trip or should I look for a new equivalent radiator?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I don't mean to be a Debbie downer but 22.9 isn't just working hard, something is not right. In the same Ca. heat I got about 30 mph pulling a 1500lb 6x10 utility trailer parachute in 5th gear @ 60 mph. (99s from sac.) yes it was flat but your aerodynamic case, bike and kids should be minimal, something else is at play. Don't be discouraged, iron t out, these are great cars when right

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
He's at over 6000' in elevation at Tahoe, that probably has an impact

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
He's at over 6000' in elevation at Tahoe, that probably has an impact
An old carburated engine, leaning out @ 6000 ft.,, yes. 22.9 doesn't suggest a lean running tdi.. A fully functioning modern fuel injection system will adjust.

Has the O.P. pulled any codes? Hill pull only? Tahoe? Some or all of above? Automatic or manual? Crappy "rotten 4obbie" type gas station fill up? What were Previous repairs?

Last edited:

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
that is the instantaneous economy reading and I think it would be not out of the ordinary for pulling up a steep hill. I went from salt lake city up to park city last weekend and didn't look at the instantaneous, but the trip avg dropped from ~40 to ~32 in just the 10 miles of uphill... however with no noticed increase in temperature. I think going up hills of a decent grade with significant aero drag is possibly harder work than towing in the flats

redscare

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Hi. So i got 33 combined mpg on that tank. That was the instant value, not the average. I have no codes or engine lights. I cant find my VCDS cable at the moment. Temps were read using the scan gauge. I just wonder if i maxed out what the tdi can do or if I should do a flush of the system and possibly look into getting a factory radiator.
I had a crappy replacement radiator on my old alh golf and it ran 10-15 degrees hotter because it had half the cooling fins. I replaced it with one from idparts, and it ran much cooler.

I am just curious what ppl have done with a fully loaded car. I'll avoid stuff on the roof for now. probably flush/replace the coolant with fresh g13. Cheap insurance. An overheated tdi is not what I want or can afford.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Your thermostat may be chinese, be stuck partially closed and/or not fully opening. They get questionable at 10 years old too. Maybe start there first before replacing the radiator.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Let me know how it goes, I know doing the thermostat can be kind of a pain and was wondering if anyone has found an easier way.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I was driving out of Death Valley going westbound a few years ago. Going up the grade at 60 mph or so in 5th gear the temp gauge started climbing. I downshifted to 4th and reduced my speed and made it the rest of the way with no problem and the gauge in the normal range, which is basically just straight up. No further problems. I am not convinced anything was wrong with OP's vehicle, just pulling really hard and generating a lot of heat.